Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
playalot86

playalot86 Just getting started
Default How Many Microphones?!

Hey everybody, I've been craving a new microphone, but I don't know what to get. Haha, I have an SM57, and an M7 Presonus, and I have a Presonus Audio Box. What do you guys, and gals, recommend? What mics are you all rocking?

Peace!
Old 02-04-2018, 09:15 PM   #2
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by playalot86 View Post
SM57, and an M7 Presonus
I use a 57 and an AT2020. The M7 is so close to an AT2020 that it wouldn't be a cost effective upgrade. Keep your money in the coffee can till you can afford something nice like a U87 clone.

The mics you have are fine for recording guitar. Simply place the 57 in close proximity and find the brightest spot. Place your LDC in the room and find the spot with the greatest bass response (the place with the least phase cancellation).

Last edited by KamaK; 02-04-2018 at 09:25 PM.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

I have a huge pile of mics, they are all used for different purposes. What are you looking to do with this one, and what is your budget?
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #4
playalot86

Wow, thank you guys! I was going to use it for guitar recording, but if I'm good to go with my current setup then I shall save my money; hypothetically, my budget would be around 200 USD.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #5
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Wow, thank you guys! I was going to use it for guitar recording, but if I'm good to go with my current setup then I shall save my money; hypothetically, my budget would be around 200 USD.
Are you planning to record acoustic or electric?
Old 02-05-2018, 12:36 AM   #6
playalot86

Both for sure. What is a great microphone for vocals? Thanks a ton.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:37 AM   #7
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Forgot to mention... When I record, I use the two mic's in conjunction with a DI. This allows me to re-amp if I do not like the cabinet/amp sound, or to explore/choose an amp simulator in my DAW. It's not essential, but nice to have if you know you've nailed the part and want to explore different sonic options in production without having to do a million re-takes.

Do you have a DI (check your amp) and a 3rd input?
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:05 AM   #8
playalot86

That sounds awesome. I don't have a DI on my PC, but I'm unsure about my amp having one. I have the Spider Jam 2.0, the 75 W model. I would love to get a DI.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:07 AM   #9
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

Well, if you were going to specifically mic an acoustic guitar, I'd say go with a pair of SDC's. A pair of SDC's in X/Y stereo is one of the best ways to mic up an acoustic. If you were shooting for acoustic and vox, I'd say an LDC. If you're looking for both of those, plus electric, you've probably already got the most versatile mic for that in the SM57. Depending on your budget, were it me I'd go with either a nicer LDC, or a pair of SDC's. I had a super cheap pair of SDC's that I managed to get incredible results with. One of them finally fell apart, but these days, I use a pair of Rhode NT5's when I need SDC's.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #10
playalot86

My word, that's a lot to take in. Thanks a ton! Haha, what mic do you use for vocals? I've been using my SM57 mainly, but should I buy a condensing mic for vocals?