Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #11
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

I have a SM57 that I use as a vocal mic. I've used it to record my acoustic guitar because it's all I have . I got an MXL 990 condenser mic because these types of mics are supposed to be better in the studio especially with acoustic instruments.

The MXL 990 sounds good, but I was surprised to find that the recordings that I made with my SM57 stood up quite well. Neither was really better, just different.

To mic my combo amp at gigs, I have a Sennheiser e609 mic. Again, I don't think it sounds better than the SM57, it's just easier....it's designed to be draped over the speaker cab, no mic stand required.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Cool My NEW Mic N others

Just getting acquainted with the MP-76 , it's got
some thunder under it's hood , it's really a first of it's
kind with it's dynamic control over my vocal/guitar
MFX unit with it's four mini switches and LED preset
indicator . It's got 2 interior shock mounts too . It's
rather an unassuming looking mic till it turns on visually
and then it starts to get interesting . Made by Sennheiser
for T.C.Helicon .

----

The LDC Samsdon C01 48V phantom powered microphone is one underrated
little mic , it has quality components in the gold sputtered diaphragm
and gold plated circuitry , and it's price is really cheap for the performance
you get . It can handle high pressure sound levels well like a kick drum or electric guitar cabinet

In my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 it shines , very quite mic between passages .

Built like a tank too it's very heavy and the shock mount's replacement elastic
bands are easily replaceable with scrunchies and Samson s also cool on sending
replacements .

When it's powered up it's got a really cool deep blue LED light .

I've used those in a pinch too .

And of course the standard go to SM57 Shure and other assorted Shure hihz mics .

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #13
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
Well, if you were going to specifically mic an acoustic guitar, I'd say go with a pair of SDC's. A pair of SDC's in X/Y stereo is one of the best ways to mic up an acoustic. If you were shooting for acoustic and vox, I'd say an LDC. If you're looking for both of those, plus electric, you've probably already got the most versatile mic for that in the SM57. Depending on your budget, were it me I'd go with either a nicer LDC, or a pair of SDC's. I had a super cheap pair of SDC's that I managed to get incredible results with. One of them finally fell apart, but these days, I use a pair of Rhode NT5's when I need SDC's.
Alooooooooooooha man :

X/Y set ups are a great idea too . I use the two X/Y small diaphragm condensers off the Tascam DR44WL , they sound
great into my P.A. and or interface .

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:59 PM   #14
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by playalot86 View Post
My word, that's a lot to take in. Thanks a ton! Haha, what mic do you use for vocals? I've been using my SM57 mainly, but should I buy a condensing mic for vocals?
I have a couple of LDC's I use for vox. Most of the time, I use a Rode NT1a. Great mic, super low noise, but it is a bit bright. If you sing with a lot of sibilance, you'll either hate it, or get used to de-essing. This mic is usually setup on my stand just about all of the time.

When I'm tracking vox, violins, and acoustic guitars for our EP's, I use a Mojave MA-200. This is the *only* LDC I've ever used that I get better results from than a pair of SDC's for acoustic guitars.

Last edited by MrHarryReems; 02-06-2018 at 04:23 AM.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:55 AM   #15
playalot86

playalot86 Just getting started

Great stuff guys. I've decided that I need a Mixer for home. Which models are you guys, and gals rocking?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:22 AM   #16
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Great stuff guys. I've decided that I need a Mixer for home. Which models are you guys, and gals rocking?
I have two mixers and just ordered a third, but I only use any of them live. My interface has 8 inputs, so there really isn't much use for a mixer for home use. That work can be handled in my DAW. For live use, I have a Yamaha MGP16X, a wee little Mackie 402VZL4 which is awful, and I just ordered a Behringer X Air X18, which will ultimately replace my interface. The X Air X18 has an 18 channel interface built in.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
playalot86

Holy smokes! My Interface is a Presonus Audio Box. I believe I saw that Mixer on Amazon. I'm using Audacity right now as my DAW.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #18
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

My interface acts like a mixer as well...a Yamaha Audiogram 6. It has 2 main inputs along with 2 stereo inputs which are handy for an mp3 player or keyboard or something like that. I only record with one thing at a time, but I can leave it all connected.

For gigs (a duo) I have an Allen & Heath Zed 14. Fantastic mixer, though I wish it was a little smaller. It's slight overkill for us, but once 2 guitars, 2 mics, a return for the reverb, and an mp3 player are connected, there aren't too many open inputs left.

The main feature of this mixer I got it for was the ability to record each track separately on an external 4 track recorder.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #19
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

Quote:
Holy smokes! My Interface is a Presonus Audio Box. I believe I saw that Mixer on Amazon. I'm using Audacity right now as my DAW.
The Audio Box comes with Studio One. I highly recommend installing it and playing with it. It's a pretty great DAW.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
playalot86

Sounds good, I have the installation disc somewhere, haha. Do you guys record your guitar in Mono, and then duplicate the channel? Or, do you guys setup 2 mics for a stereo sound? I always have a hard time getting the levels right on two mics so often I record in Mono, and duplicate. Gasp! Don't tell anyone!