Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #21
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by playalot86 View Post
Sounds good, I have the installation disc somewhere, haha. Do you guys record your guitar in Mono, and then duplicate the channel? Or, do you guys setup 2 mics for a stereo sound? I always have a hard time getting the levels right on two mics so often I record in Mono, and duplicate. Gasp! Don't tell anyone!
Typically you record mono, unless there is a stereo effect on it (Phaser, flanger, foot pan'er). Guitar amps are mono until there are specific circumstances where they are not.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:55 PM   #22
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by playalot86 View Post
Sounds good, I have the installation disc somewhere, haha. Do you guys record your guitar in Mono, and then duplicate the channel? Or, do you guys setup 2 mics for a stereo sound? I always have a hard time getting the levels right on two mics so often I record in Mono, and duplicate. Gasp! Don't tell anyone!
Well now, that depends. If I'm using a pair of SDC's for an acoustic, I'll record in X/Y stereo. If a single LDC, It'll be mono. Sometimes I will combine either of those with the line out on the guitar for an additional mono track. Even with all of that, I'll sometimes double track the guitars.

For electric, my rig is stereo capable, so I can record in stereo or mono. What I choose depends on what end result I'm after. I often just mic up the cab with an SM57 clone and record mono. I just tracked the electric guitar for a song on our new album that way.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote