Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 PM   #1
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started
Default Home from the gig!

So Im just home from the gig I was talking a bit about before. Some of you might remember . It was a gig where like 12 bands from town played. Kind of a competition, but the focus wasnt on that. It was a lot of fun.

I was nervous as hell, something ive been the last 2 weeks, but when on stage I tried converting it to energy, which I think worked out. We played well, a few mistakes here and there but still good. We played last and gave the audience a nice round of hard rock n roll. Several people came up after we finished and told us that they thought it was great. Anyway all in all a fun gig, but...

I dont think im continuing with the band. There are too many things that I dont feel good about. We play well and they are good guys, but its other stuff. Im 18 and still in school with a lot to do, they are 22, 23 and 22 and are focusing on this. Ultimately ive been kinda stressed out, rehearsing a lot while having a lot in school. The genre is also not what I really want to play. I think im gonna take some time to continue writing my own stuff and then later finding/creating a new band.

Im really happy that I played with them. I have learnt a lot, but its just not quite right. Anyway sorry for the ramble...hehe

Ill post a (really bad) pic of the stage before anyone had come there. Behind where the photo was taken there is a bar aswell.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Great that the gig went well!! Definitely worth the experience...there's nothing like getting on stage.

You are smart to follow your gut...if it doesn't feel right, it's not right. You sure gave it a go though, which I think was the smart thing to do. I'm sure you will, but be sure to leave on good terms. These guys could be future bandmates again, or refer you to another band. Around here, musicians all know eachother...probably the same by you.

The "playing what you want to play part" is hard. If I had my way, I'd be playing in a Pink Floyd tribute band or something . That doesn't fit with the opportunities I have at the moment, so I make the best of the situation at hands. It could be worse .

Anyway, thanks for filling us in on how it went!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
Morfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Great that the gig went well!! Definitely worth the experience...there's nothing like getting on stage.

You are smart to follow your gut...if it doesn't feel right, it's not right. You sure gave it a go though, which I think was the smart thing to do. I'm sure you will, but be sure to leave on good terms. These guys could be future bandmates again, or refer you to another band. Around here, musicians all know eachother...probably the same by you.

The "playing what you want to play part" is hard. If I had my way, I'd be playing in a Pink Floyd tribute band or something . That doesn't fit with the opportunities I have at the moment, so I make the best of the situation at hands. It could be worse .

Yeah, definately a good experience! It is fun getting up on stage

We have already talked about it, and there are no hard feelings. They understand me, which feels nice. I told them that Ill come and listen to them when they play and give them support!

I agree that its hard to get to play what you really want, but I think ill find something. It still feels better trying to find something that you really believe in then doing something with half your heart in it. Did that make sense haha?

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #4
Morfz

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, definately a good experience! It is fun getting up on stage

We have already talked about it, and there are no hard feelings. I told them how I felt a week or so ago and they understand me, which feels nice. I told them that Ill come and listen to them when they play and give them support!

I agree that its hard to get to play what you really want, but I think ill find something. It still feels better trying to find something that you really believe in then doing something with half your heart in it. Did that make sense haha?

Anyway im the one to thank you for taking the time to read through this post and commenting, I sure appreciate all of you guys here!!

Last edited by Morfz; 02-07-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

I am glad you had a good time !
It sounds like you had fun & feel good about your performance & that means it was a success !!
Like anything else, a gig (especially a first gig) is a learning experience. If this is not your cup of tea, find something that is. You have lots of time to experiment & try new things.
Thanks for letting us know how it went.
Aly
Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 PM   #6
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

It sounds like you had fun & feel good about your performance & that means it was a success !!
Like anything else, a gig (especially a first gig) is a learning experience. If this is not your cup of tea, find something that is. You have lots of time to experiment & try new things.
Aly
Old 02-07-2018, 09:45 PM   #7
Morfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Aly
I think you put it exactly how it is! it was fun and a really good experience playing with these guys.

As I said to Squid, Im the one to thank you for being here and listening to me ramble
Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 AM   #8
Dirt

Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Congrats on the gig/stage time........... Yeah, go with your heart
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Ha! I wish that, when I was 18 years old I got in a band and became a working musician. Instead I went to school and got jobs. But for many years, a musician could make money.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #10
wilson

wilson Just getting started

Good for you Morfz ! It sounds like an experience that you can benefit from in the future . Anytime you can get out & play you learn something . I think we have all had to " settle " for material that wasn't exactly what we want to play . I know that when I'm forced out of my comfort zone it forces me to learn things I would not consider otherwise , and in the long run that's a good thing .