Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #1
alzi

alzi Just getting started
Default Fender Acoustic strings

Could someone please advise me which Fender strings do I buy to replace the existing ones. The current strings are 3 x wire and 3 x nylon I am only a beginner I have searched EBAY but there are so many to choose from
alzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Just getting started

You are looking for Classical strings. There are 3 nylon and 3 silver plated, they come in normal tension and light tension. The brand does not matter too much.
Anita Bonghit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
alzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Bonghit View Post
You are looking for Classical strings. There are 3 nylon and 3 silver plated, they come in normal tension and light tension. The brand does not matter too much.
Thank you Anita Would Dura-Tone 880L 80/20 Coated 12-52 Acoustic Guitar Strings | Light be ok
Old 02-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Stay simple when buying classical acoustic strings. Since they are part nylon, part aluminium wind, Labella, or DiAdarrio, will be just as good as the other and won't cost a leg. Coated strings are usually metal strings meant for steel string acoustics. The nylon strings have three tensions, high, normal and light. Normal seems to be the preferred for most.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
alzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita Bonghit View Post
ARE THESE STRINGS SUITABLE FOR CLASSICAL AND SOFT ROCK
Old 02-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

The strings don't determine what kind of music you play on them. They are determined by the kind of guitar you have. If you have a classical (nylon string) guitar then that's the kind of strings you have to use on that guitar.

In other words, you can't use strings meant for a steel string acoustic on a nylon string guitar.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:05 PM   #7
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

To further that, classical guitars are all over rock and other genres, but as more of a texture instrument than an up front and loud rock guitar. Play what you want on it, you will quickly find out what fits and what doesn't.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

you can use steel guitar strings on a classical nylon Gutiar but the chances of ruining the Guitar are great. I did it on my first Guitar and it lasted about 4 months before the tuners gave out.then I bought my second Gutiar. a Gibson Sg 1968
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:29 PM   #9
Parralax view

Whether you can use them or not is debatable, but my suggestion is to not use any type of steel string on a guitar intended for nylon. The other part is to learn the bridge tie, and the tuning post tie. Without knowing those, you are dead in the water.