Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
prairieschooner

prairieschooner Just getting started
Default a little help here

Wife wants a new guitar. We got here a Yamaha JR 3/4 sized guitar that worked well for a while but now she would like to step up & get a better one.
Question is what? meaning what size to get a comfortable guitar for a 5' woman?

From what I am seeing the 3/4 sized guitars currently are more for children and cheap. I just bought here a Taylor Baby Taylor and well not so good, had terrible fret buzz.

thanks in advance
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts

Go to the local music store and try them all!!
Black modded strat, Epi SG, White Epi Wilshire Pro,Tubeworks Tube Driver TD-752 1X12 combo, ,SG copy from kit, Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber+, Hot Wheels Strat, Marshall MG100HDFX , Vox VT20+,Applause AE25, Laguna Bass
rudos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudos1 View Post
Go to the local music store and try them all!!
+1 with what Rudos said ^^.

If there is a specific requirement in terms of size and playability, you need to get guitars in her hands to let her decide what fits and feels good under her fingers. If she's a beginner, I'd suggest a nylon string guitar. They are much easier on the fingers than a steel string, and have a beautiful tone.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #4
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

An electric is smaller & I think easier to maneuver than a great big acoustic.
Would she convert?
Old 02-09-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

If your wife specifically wants an acoustic guitar that is not full size, most guitars that are smaller than full size are aimed at kids who are learning, and built to a budget price. One potential way to get around this is to look at full size guitars, but tune them down one or two steps and then put a capo on the first or second fret.

This will give standard tuning and also make the neck shorter for her to play. The two main down sides are one or two less frets to use and possibly needing to change to a lighter set of strings because of lower tension on the strings when you tune down.

It's not a perfect solution, it's a workaround, but most acoustic guitars that are smaller then full size are aimed at kids who are still beginners.

The baby taylor you bought might need some attention from a guitar tech, possibly a fret level and dress if the frets are uneven. New guitars are rarely "perfect" straight out of the box, especially when they are mass produced.

If you bought the taylor new, you should be covered by consumer protection law on the basis of the product being "fit for it's intended purpose when purchased". You'll need to find out what the specific details are for the consumer protection laws where you live.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
prairieschooner

prairieschooner Just getting started

thanks
I returned the Baby Taylor because of the fret buzz. Not willing to start off spending more $$$ on a cheap guitar & winding up with an expensive cheap guitar!
Another issue would be the nut size ... she needs something narrower than a standard guitar, the 1 11/16" of the Yamaha was comfortable. Guess if I wanted an expensive cheap guitar....................
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
thanks
I returned the Baby Taylor because of the fret buzz. Not willing to start off spending more $$$ on a cheap guitar & winding up with an expensive cheap guitar!
Another issue would be the nut size ... she needs something narrower than a standard guitar, the 1 11/16" of the Yamaha was comfortable. Guess if I wanted an expensive cheap guitar....................
Once again, there are some electric necks that feel a lot smaller than acoustic necks & are easier to play. Strings are easier on the fingers too.

A nut width of 1 11/16" translates to 43mm

My electric nut width is 41.3mm (Ernie Ball Music Man Luke)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:14 PM   #8
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

There is this guitar to consider as well. I have one and take it with me to work and it’s a fine little guitar that folds up and will fit in the overhead on an airplane.

http://voyageairguitar.com/shop/transit-series/vamd-02
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Before the world decided that all guitars had to be dreadnoughts, Concert size guitars were the common guitar. Just go to a music store and ask to see some Concert size guitars. Martin's 0, 00, and 000 series might be what you are looking for. As for the fret buzz on the Taylor, that can be cured with a good neck setup.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #10
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

Prairie, depending on where you live, the ideal solution is to take your wife to a store that has a large range of guitars and spend time trying them. She needs to find a guitar that is a comfortable size and shape for her and has a tone she likes. Buying blind over the net is pretty much hit or miss in a situation like this.

Having said that, Yamaha have multiple ranges of acoustic guitars that have a good chance of satisfying her requirements.

The Yamaha APX acoustic guitars all have 43mm (1 11/16") nuts, they have thinner than standard bodies that will be more comfortable for smaller people and have models at different price points. All of the APX guitars have a body cutout below the neck so if your wife wants a more traditional body shape, she should look at a different model range. Since the APX guitars have thinner than normal bodies, they also tend to be fairly "bright" in tone with less bass.

The Yamaha FG and FS guitars also have 43mm nuts, most of them don't have a body cutout and they have deeper bodies so they sound a bit more mellow compared to the APX range, but a deeper body might be less comfortable for your wife.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote