Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #1
George25

George25 Just getting started
Default Fix my acoustic or buy a low end Martin, Taylor vs other?

I have an Ibanez aw400 solid top wood that cost me 300 around 3 years ago.

Why do some pins always gets stuck when changing guitar strings? I have to put my hand inside the sound hole to get them out! And when i do it feels like im breaking the guitar, because i feel ittle pieces of wood falling on my hand.

Also i think the truss rod doesnt work, wont move left or right. But the neck stays straight. I had it for like 3 years and stays the same even when changing strings. Any reason why?

Intonation issues pass the 10th fret.

Want to lower the action.

Should pay to get it fix? Or is it worth getting one of those lower end Martins and Taylors vs other. I played a little Martin, build quality was a little better but sound wise, not that good. Is hitting the 500 800 price range different than a 300 range? Or its just paying for the name on the headstock?

Thank you.
George25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #2
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

There are many, many videos on YouTube on how to change strings. There are also tools and techniques for removing hard-to-remove pins. Make sure you're doing everything properly. Just buying a new guitar won't fix things, if you're not doing the job properly. As far as the truss rod and other things, find a good guitar tech in your area (not a the GC store) and have it checked out and a setup done. It shouldn't cost more than $50, maybe less.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I can solve the string pin problem. If you have a string winder, just look around for a notch somewhere on it. Its there to hook into the groove just below to knob top. Use it to pry the pin up out of the hole. As far as that trussrod issue if it ain't broke don't fix it. Leave any trussrod work to a GOOD tech. You can pop a fretboard off or break the trussrod if you are not careful. If your guitar has a peizo pickup, don't try to work on the saddle, let a tech do it. A new set of strings can often correct an intonation problem since dead strings not playing in tune is the first sign you need new strings. Or you could justbuy a new guitar.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #4
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Actually bridge pins on an acoustic should not be tight. When the strings are under tension, the ball end of the string wedges itself between the side of the pin and the bridge baseplate to hold the pin in place.

If a bridge pin fits tightly, the bridge itself can be prone to splitting at the bridge pin holes when the wood there expands and contracts due to humidity changes.

That issue has a very simple fix... either lightly (and evenly) sand the bridge pin sides till they fit easily (but not loosely) into the bridge pin holes, OR, just get a new set of bridge pins. They are sold in various tapers and thicknesses, so you can likely find what you need.

Also, bridge pins are not expensive, so you could buy a few sets and sand them to make a set for your guitar that fit correctly.

The truss rod is a different matter. If it was my guitar (and IF it has a Gibson style truss rod, with the threaded shaft coming up to the headstock with a nut on it for truss rod adjustment), I'd probably try something like putting some really thin penetrating oil in a bottle cap, and applying a dot or two of the oil with a fine paintbrush on the visible threads above the adjustment nut. Make sure to not get any oil on the wood. A small drop wont hurt, but spraying something like WD40 directly into the area is not a good idea.

Give it an hour or two to penetrate, and try loosening the truss rod nut. If it comes loose, take the truss rod nut off, and wipe as much penetrating oil off the guitar, the truss rod and the nut as you can. Take a dry bar of soap and rub just a little bit of soap on the truss rod threads and re-install the truss rod nut.

Dry soap will act as a lubricant on the truss rod threads, and it wont cause any problems with the wood.

If the truss rod has one of those recessed allen key heads, where you cant access the truss rod threads, OR if its the type that adjusts from inside the guitar soundhole, then I really dont have an answer for not being able to operate the truss rod.

The intonation issue above the 10th fret sounds more like its due to you also needing the action lowered.
If you cant do any of the above mentioned fixes, and if the issue is really bugging you, you might want to start thinking about another guitar.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

St. Fill is telling you right on not pushing the string pins in real tight. They are meant to be pushed in far enough to be snug and they are meant to be easily extracted. The pin's actual job is to be a wedge. It just happens to be a round wedge with a groove in it. Also, please use the groove, its there for a reason.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
George25

Thanks for the reply guys!

Yea the pin issue sounds easy!

For the rest ill take it to a tech, because the trus rod adjustment
Is inside the sound hole.

I will get an estimate first, i hope the cost will not be like buying this guitar again or paying more than 150. If it does, than ill just save and buy something with a better build quality.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #7
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm bit late with this, but, FWIW, I think you are doing the right thing. There are a few reasons for buying a new guitars, but I don't see yours as one of them.
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #8
crank

crank Just getting started

I will add that if buying a new guitar look at, play, listen to brands like Yamaha, Seagull, Blue Ridge, Takamini, etc. I don't think low end Martins or Taylors give you the best bang for your buck.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:50 AM   #9
George25

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
I will add that if buying a new guitar look at, play, listen to brands like Yamaha, Seagull, Blue Ridge, Takamini, etc. I don't think low end Martins or Taylors give you the best bang for your buck.
Yeah im going to take a look at seagulls, i see they have really good reviews on the net.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by George25 View Post
Yeah im going to take a look at seagulls, i see they have really good reviews on the net.
Several of us here have Seagulls and like them. The S6 is their long time standard.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote