Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 04-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #11
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

Sorry about your VL3 taking a bullet . What was the damage in repairs for it , where was it repaired ?
Fortunately, it's still under warranty, so the damage is $38 in shipping. Closest facility to me is Thermal Relief Design in Nevada. This will be the second time they've rebuilt it. The first time I had a couple of the switches fail. Fact is, a part fell off of the unit and onto the motherboard. While it was probably dropped pretty darned hard, pieces shouldn't be falling off, especially inside a flight case.

Quote:

I plan to return to the BI and I cringe at the idea of packing my delicate stuff for the flight back to stay .

When I lived there on the BI 7 years ( Puna Dist. ) I kind of liked the laid back casual treatment at the airports , I look local and I also can sound
local too ( yeah bra da kine pidgin ) came in handy when flying to the mainland during the " agriculture " check heh heh heh .
Hilo airport is still pretty casual. Kona airport is getting more strict due to regulatory 'improvements' they're being forced to make to keep their international status.

Quote:
I wasn't packing delicate stuff then though , now I have 4 guitars , one ukulele , mics , mixers , amps , and a Voice Live 3 X , and the whole ball of wax .
When I moved here, I actually shipped my expensive guitars via UPS, insured for the full amount. It was expensive, but cheaper than replacing any single item.

Quote:
Hope to hook up with all the musicians on the BI I played with once again in the not to distant future .
Not sure who your old crew was, but we do have a few regular faces. That said, we have a LOT of folks constantly voting themselves off of the island. It's very challenging to keep a band running out here.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Thumbs up Howzit Bra !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
Fortunately, it's still under warranty, so the damage is $38 in shipping. Closest facility to me is Thermal Relief Design in Nevada. This will be the second time they've rebuilt it. The first time I had a couple of the switches fail. Fact is, a part fell off of the unit and onto the motherboard. While it was probably dropped pretty darned hard, pieces shouldn't be falling off, especially inside a flight case.

Hilo airport is still pretty casual. Kona airport is getting more strict due to regulatory 'improvements' they're being forced to make to keep their international status.

When I moved here, I actually shipped my expensive guitars via UPS, insured for the full amount. It was expensive, but cheaper than replacing any single item.

Not sure who your old crew was, but we do have a few regular faces. That said, we have a LOT of folks constantly voting themselves off of the island. It's very challenging to keep a band running out here.
Hilo never changes heh heh heh .

Yep , I'm thinking that too about a reliable shipper like UPS , wish I could ship myself that way through UPS heh heh heh .

Some of the guys I played with on the BI :

Pete The Black Mongoose Zangarra ( Doobs Tubes and Boobs )
Lightning Larry Dupio
Dave Seawater - drums - guitar and song writer / singer
Ryan Walters Blues harp extraordinaire / keys -
Ehukai Teves bass / TV

- I'll remember more now that I'm thinking BI - - -

Ekaika Brown from Maui , Joe Sterling was from the BI but now on Maui .

Soloing has become a part of my performing now .

I was using a Digitech GNX4 DAW /Looper till it dissapeared I've had the VL3X a month now , it's really cool , I go electric / midi guitar / acoustics and a lot of harp & sing .

Bands form and come and go everywhere . Hard to sync with someone(s) that completely to have a long term band affair . Nice work if you can get it .

EZ bra :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #13
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Dupio is still around.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I may have been a bit harsh in my assessments. I've grown utterly weary of Hawaiian politics and do nothing departments.

Out here, when I first came, it seemed you needed a sponsor to actually get together with guys. I found that off putting, but they didn't know this ole boy from Adam.

My sponsor was Bully Soares. Producer and bass player extraordinaire. He hooked me up for a brief time with Gordon Frietas, Eric Peterson, etc. locally known great players. Once Bully married a gal from Cali, he moved there and things kinda dried up. I'm fine with it anyway.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #15
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I may have been a bit harsh in my assessments. I've grown utterly weary of Hawaiian politics and do nothing departments.

Out here, when I first came, it seemed you needed a sponsor to actually get together with guys. I found that off putting, but they didn't know this ole boy from Adam.

My sponsor was Bully Soares. Producer and bass player extraordinaire. He hooked me up for a brief time with Gordon Frietas, Eric Peterson, etc. locally known great players. Once Bully married a gal from Cali, he moved there and things kinda dried up. I'm fine with it anyway.
This is so true... It took me two years to find anyone to play with, and I ended up saying screw it to the flakes hiring a highly regarded local pro for my band. He ended up being a great guy, and playing with him opened a lot of doors for me that would have otherwise remained closed.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #16
Hurricane Ramon

Thumbs down Just Say Know To Politico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post

Politocos - Politics - - - -

It neva gonna change bra , same here in So.Cal. , Washington DC - - As musicians ( me at least ) I hele on and try not to get the mud on me . I have my opinion like you and others do , respect those who do the same and walk away from those who are less than honorable .

I hear were your coming from being on Oahu - I'm so laid back I freaked when I landed on Oahu in 75 - I wanted o-u-t fast cause I'm juss a country boy . Started my Hawaiian adventure on Kauai 8 hours later .

I've been on all except Niihau . After traveling Mx for years and the western USA the BI captured my heart . I moved there in 81/82 left in 88/89 . I ran kitchens and last worked at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel as a chef . Nights I played music , mostly in Puna .

Since the 1968 Chicago DNC I dropped out - traveled found Hawaii traveled - got married got divorced left Hawaii - got married 25 years lost a beautiful woman to cancer - life goes on soon it's back to the BI if it's in my cards .

Hey - lucky you live Hawaii I always say no matter .

EZ :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Old 04-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #17
Hurricane Ramon

Default Working From The Ground Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
This is so true... It took me two years to find anyone to play with, and I ended up saying screw it to the flakes hiring a highly regarded local pro for my band. He ended up being a great guy, and playing with him opened a lot of doors for me that would have otherwise remained closed.
Any where you go when you are the " New Guy " you face it head on man . BI - Oahu no difference .

It's all about giving and getting respect - it's universal - I'm good at that , guess it comes natural to me . Respect is earned from what I have experienced . You earn it one way or another .

In my case I had a toe up on most malahini's .

I look localboy beeeg time - but ain't , I'm a big tall guy , & I took a failing restaurant and turned it around and won the local scene support as a chef with many friendships that evolved that included local Rock - CW - & local talent . Opened a new restaurant for another and ended my stay while working at the Mauna Kea Beack Hotel .

I'm a stinker I used my looks to get ahead . Really blew the local people's minds when they realized just what I was . No fooling I got preferential treatment it was a mind blower too when I realized what I had going .

Larry Dupio is a good family friend of mine , he's a main streamer local great talent , we both got certified PADI Open Water Divers by ->>====> Dave Seawater who performed many years with him as did other's I played with that were in Puna / Hilo dist .

Ehukai Teves is a good friend who sings / writes and is a great bass player as well as guitarist , he did TV stuff too and was in one or two of the original Hawaii Five-O episodes . I've lost touch with Ehukai since I left , he played the part of an evil hippy guru - it was a riot .

Dave Seawater is also [ hanai ] to me and still performs - Rock-N- Roll on the Hilo side . So does Ryan Walters .

While on the BI I was a harp player & sang . Standards / Jazz / Blues / CW / RNR / Ethnic Stuff too . I learned some Portagee & Hawaiian songs , the pronunciation comes easy for me on both of those languages .

Since I left the Bi I had a little miracle happen when the last pieces of glass finally exited my left ring finger that had stopped my guitar playing for 36 years , since 1999 I have been playing guitar now and keys . Some good things have happened as well as the heavy $hit since leaving Hawaii . My solo career began too .

EZ :

HR
Old 04-26-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started

Damn ! What a nightmare. Shit happens I guess.

Ive noticed that generally speaking the southern european countries are laid back, for both good and bad I guess. When you land at a spanish or greek airport its so laid back. Initially its nice, but then you realize you have to wait 20min for your bagage... Spain, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Fuerteventura, Portugal are all more laid back then say Sweden, Germany, Norway, Denmark etc. Its interesting.
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #19
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morfz View Post
Ive noticed that generally speaking the southern european countries are laid back, for both good and bad I guess. When you land at a spanish or greek airport its so laid back. Initially its nice, but then you realize you have to wait 20min for your bagage... Spain, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Fuerteventura, Portugal are all more laid back then say Sweden, Germany, Norway, Denmark etc. Its interesting.
I'm going to Europe in a month and while I anticipate a very exciting trip, I'd be pretty happy to return to the US with my head still attached and my ballz in place. AND be re-admitted to the US by the drumpf tsa nahzees.

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote