Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 04-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #21
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

to be honest i rarely use my tube practice amp any more.
i have a line 6 pod that plugs into my computer and works great for practicing by myself.
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:32 AM   #22
kaiburns

kaiburns Just getting started

Really guys? He said not to say "get a new amp" and 99% of you said, "get a new amp."
I would say to get a used MI Audio Crunch Box. You can find them for pretty cheap if you look hard enough, and it has enough versatility to go from Zeppelin to Metallica.

Here's one, but be quick because you've only got a day and a half left! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mi-Audio-Cru...kAAOSw~y9ZC2Sb

Last edited by kaiburns; 05-10-2017 at 02:56 AM.
kaiburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:42 AM   #23
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiburns View Post
Really guys? He said not to say "get a new amp" and 99% of you said, "get a new amp."
I would say to get a used MI Audio Crunch Box. You can find them for pretty cheap if you look hard enough, and it has enough versatility to go from Zeppelin to Metallica.

Here's one, but be quick because you've only got a day and a half left! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mi-Audio-Cru...kAAOSw~y9ZC2Sb
I only see one person who flat out said get a new amp????
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:55 AM   #24
kaiburns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I only see one person who flat out said get a new amp????
"I hate to tell you this but you can't get there from here—an MG10 just isn't going to do it."

"no pedal is going to make that amp sound like a jcm800."

"Save some more, sell your MG10, then take a look at the Boss Katana 50 which could be had for less than $200. It has all that you need."

"a Marshall MG10 is not going to give you a lot of nuance or dimension no matter what you stick in front of it."

"I think for the price of a decent OD pedal, you could sell your MG and upgrade your amp for the same money and have a decent distortion and probably some built in effects... A slightly bigger Line 6, Marshall, Vox, Crate, Orange will give you the tones your lookin for!"

What did you say?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:02 AM   #25
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
"I hate to tell you this but you can't get there from here—an MG10 just isn't going to do it."
Statement of fact.

Now, everyone here understands being poor and being stuck with what you've got for a while but personally I'm not going to make recommendations to someone about how to invest their obviously limited money without also doing what I can to make sure they have realistic expectations.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:22 AM   #26
kaiburns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
Statement of fact.

Now, everyone here understands being poor and being stuck with what you've got for a while but personally I'm not going to make recommendations to someone about how to invest their obviously limited money without also doing what I can to make sure they have realistic expectations.
Yeah, I know... but you could have left out and said something more like "while your amp is no good if I were to suggest is a pedal, it would be the Catalinbread... and here's why:"
Old 05-10-2017, 03:50 AM   #27
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Quote:

"no pedal is going to make that amp sound like a jcm800."

"Save some more, sell your MG10, then take a look at the Boss Katana 50 which could be had for less than $200. It has all that you need."

"a Marshall MG10 is not going to give you a lot of nuance or dimension no matter what you stick in front of it."

"I think for the price of a decent OD pedal, you could sell your MG and upgrade your amp for the same money and have a decent distortion and probably some built in effects... A slightly bigger Line 6, Marshall, Vox, Crate, Orange will give you the tones your lookin for!"

What did you say?
Only the Boss Katana person offered a new amp straight up. Every other guy offered pedals first. That's what i said. So how did you math get you to 99 percent?

Are would you rather everybody just lies to the guy?

Were not two years old here.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:05 AM   #28
kaiburns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Only the Boss Katana person offered a new amp straight up. Every other guy offered pedals first. That's what i said. So how did you math get you to 99 percent?

Are would you rather everybody just lies to the guy?

We're not two years old here.
The last person did not offer a pedal, and it doesn't really matter much... they could have left it out or said it differently.

The "99%" was an exaggeration. I would not want people to lie to him, but the fact that he said not to say "get a new amp," and most suggestions say somewhere to get a new amp.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:04 PM   #29
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Yeah, I know... but you could have left out and said something more like "while your amp is no good if I were to suggest is a pedal, it would be the Catalinbread... and here's why:"
I (like most) did exactly that—if you weren't so busy hunting for a "gotcha!" you would have noticed:
Quote:
I hate to tell you this but you can't get there from here—an MG10 just isn't going to do it.

That being said, I understand being broke and you're stuck with what you've got for the foreseeable future.

What I would suggest for the interim is getting pedals which will have long-term utility for you (which those BOSS pedals probably won't). My suggestion would be to look at getting something like a pedal from Catalinbread's foundation series which is targeting a named high-gain amplifier and uses JFETs to emulate tube clipping then a cheap tubescreamer clone to push it or the Wampler Triplewreck which is just an all-around monster of a high gain distortion.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:21 AM   #30
kaiburns

Quote:
I (like most) did exactly that—if you weren't so busy hunting for a "gotcha!" you would have noticed:
Ok, sorry bout that. It just was a bit annoying seeing the "marshall mg sucks" argument in a lot of comments.
Pro Co Rat
MXR 10-Band EQ