Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you wish you had your first guitar?
Yes, it would be cool to see how crappy it is compared to others 23 20.72%
Yes, It actually was pretty decent or at least had some mojo 52 46.85%
No way, I got rid of it and it worked out for the best 27 24.32%
Other, or Organtis your ridiculous with this crap 9 8.11%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #111
FillmoreNYC
Kung Fu Chicken

FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms FillmoreNYC is the poster child for Trojan condoms

My very first guitar wouldnt have been worth keeping (some knock-off Explorer copy).
I dont know why, but for sentimental reasons, I AM holding onto the first guitar I purchased off of Ebay, a Godin Artisan TC. I dont play it all that much these days, but it IS a great guitar, and since "finding" Ebay, I've bought probably 90% of my guitars there.

I think its a matter of age (MY age) and having more of an appreciation for quality guitars now than I used to. I can say without hesitation that I WISH I had held onto some of the pieces I've sold.
When I was younger, there wasnt the stigma attached to vintage gear that there is now, and I've had some pretty wicked pieces pass thru my hands over the years.

If there was just ONE guitar I could get back, it would be an all gold (front back and sides, same metallic color as a LP Goldtop) 1964 Gibson Firebird III that I owned for years and ultimately sold for some (REALLY stupid) reason.
Jeez, I miss that one.

There's no sense in being a damn fool about it.
FillmoreNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:40 PM   #112
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillmoreNYC View Post
If there was just ONE guitar I could get back, it would be an all gold (front back and sides, same metallic color as a LP Goldtop) 1964 Gibson Firebird III that I owned for years and ultimately sold for some (REALLY stupid) reason.
Jeez, I miss that one.
DOOD. Don't EVEN get me started on the "git'rs I wish I still had" thing...the OP was asking about your FIRST git'r. When I think about some of the subsequent beauties I had (once I'd learned what a decent git'r WAS; had enough money to acquire them; and played well enough to justify buying them) I had some serious prize-winners that I no longer own, due to idiotic reasons like "I don't play it enough" or "I need the money".

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill

Last edited by shredd; 04-23-2017 at 03:50 PM.
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #113
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

My "second and third" new guitars got lost in a divorce. A 69 tele Thinline in natural that I went to the Ship Store and ordered from Fender. It came right to the ship and it flew home with me on a leave. The second was a Guild S-100 Polara that I bought locally in Dallas.

She wanted me to sell my entire rig and split the proceeds, her law made her do it. There was no dollar amount specified. I sold a big ole Peavey Musician stack, those two guitars, some pedals, etc. for 500 bucks total. The only thing I held back is my still owned Mutron III phasor.

I gave her 250 bucks. She was livid. The judge said, "no value was implied, and he followed through with the order".. only time I won shit with the law. I later replaced the Polara and eventually gave it to my nephew, but it was worth the look on her fuckin face when I handed over the 250...she was expecting round a grand.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #114
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I gave her 250 bucks. She was livid. The judge said, "no value was implied, and he followed through with the order".. only time I won shit with the law. I later replaced the Polara and eventually gave it to my nephew, but it was worth the look on her fuckin face when I handed over the 250...she was expecting round a grand.
Dood. That's ossum.

"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
Old 04-21-2017, 02:19 AM   #115
Old Guitar Dad

Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My first guitar was a no name cat gut stringed classical back in around 1971. I lent it to my niece 20 years later and she apparently left it behind a door which got opened and polaxed the guitar, never for it to be seen again.

My first electric was an Ibanez 1920 purchased in about 1973, I still have it. It rarely gets played now but it does fit a few songs I play. Good for thrash punk and OK for some mellow stuff too. Its a bitch to play though as the action is high and the neck isn't very slick at all. Its too sentimental to get rid of and looks nice on the wall. Here is how it sounds.... Punk and mellow.

Old Guitar Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:53 PM   #116
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guitar Dad View Post
My first electric was an Ibanez 1920 purchased in about 1973, I still have it. It rarely gets played now but it does fit a few songs I play. // Its a bitch to play though as the action is high and the neck isn't very slick at all
I'm as big an Ibanez fanboi as anyone...I've got a few that I absolutely treasure - like my '79 Musician, bought new and still in mint condition. Plays like butta, sounds like perfection, and looks like Katy Perry crooning "thanks for last night...".
I wouldn't trade it for Peter Frampton's Black Beauty.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #117
Germs

Germs Just getting started

My first guitar was a Washburn Wr that my mother had gotten for me as a gift. I'm planning on upgrading it and switching at the pickups and pots though because the sound has gotten a little rough.
Germs is offline   Reply With Quote