Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 07-11-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
no talent hack
Fun loving nihilist

no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Runnin Down A Dream was probably one of the best rock docs I've seen.

I was never a huge Petty fan, despite really liking the way Mike Campbell plays guitar, but he comes across as possibly the coolest dude in the entire music business. It's long though, around 4 hrs, and some live numbers kind of drag and could have been cut IMO, but it's pretty compelling throughout. Directed by Peter Bogdonovich.

And a +1 for the Sound City flick. That was awesome, great personal stories and trivia and interviews. Petty is in that one, too.

- Some Loser
no talent hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

PJ20, released in 2011 for the 20th anniversary of Pearl Jam's first album is a really excellent doc about (in my opinion) a really excellent band. They talk enough about the Seattle scene and the general early-90s state of mind that it really brought me back. Great flick.
Mr. Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
PJ20, released in 2011 for the 20th anniversary of Pearl Jam's first album is a really excellent doc about (in my opinion) a really excellent band. They talk enough about the Seattle scene and the general early-90s state of mind that it really brought me back. Great flick.
love pearl jam...thanks for the heads up.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Scorcese did a two-part doc for HBO on George Harrison called, "Living in the Material World." Amazing flick. George has been my favorite Beatle pretty much since I started playing guitar. It's a really great movie with lots of interviews form Paul and Ringo and others close to the Beatles and George. Good stuff.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
G-man
Holds An Impotent Sanity

G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose G-man can suck a golf ball through a garden hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by no talent hack View Post
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Runnin Down A Dream was probably one of the best rock docs I've seen.

I was never a huge Petty fan, despite really liking the way Mike Campbell plays guitar, but he comes across as possibly the coolest dude in the entire music business. It's long though, around 4 hrs, and some live numbers kind of drag and could have been cut IMO, but it's pretty compelling throughout. Directed by Peter Bogdonovich.

And a +1 for the Sound City flick. That was awesome, great personal stories and trivia and interviews. Petty is in that one, too.
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. I was in the same boat, never really liked Tom Petty and the heartbreakers loads, but in the end, really enjoyed that whole documentary. It has the advantage of not only being a great story in itself, but also a very inspiring story that makes you want to go and play yourself.
EHX Big Muff Pi, Boss OD-1E, EHX Holy Grail Nano,
Diddly Bo (handmade), DD7.
G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-man View Post
Yeah, that's the one I was talking about. I was in the same boat, never really liked Tom Petty and the heartbreakers loads, but in the end, really enjoyed that whole documentary. It has the advantage of not only being a great story in itself, but also a very inspiring story that makes you want to go and play yourself.
I'll have to check this one out. I went through most of my life always being appreciative of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers but never really thinking of them as a favorite. They were one of those bands I wouldn't change the channel if it came on, but they weren't usually my first choice to listen to either. Then a few years back I was totally blown away by their cover of "Taxman" on the George Harrison tribute concert "Concert for George," (also an AWESOME concert film) and started taking deeper listens to that band's tunes. Mike Campbell is, in my mind, one of the greatest under-rated American rock and roll guitarists. Everything he does is utterly tasteful. He doesn't jump in the spotlight with a lot of scene-stealing fretboard gymnastics, but MAN can that guy enhance a song with a lead line or solo. Just a class act all the way around. And Tom's songwriting really is a cut above too.

Anyway I'll definitely check out that flick.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #17
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Nothing mind blowing, but I did just watch Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin' this week on Netflix.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #18
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

How about the fictionalized movie... Sid and Nancy...?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #19
StarBuck

StarBuck Just getting started

Tenacuious D pick of destiny
Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #20
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
Nothing mind blowing, but I did just watch Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin' this week on Netflix.
Yeah watched it last night....they always seem a bit unsatisfying about jimi...dont know why.

Maybe we expect something incredible to happen.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote