Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 07-17-2014, 02:49 AM   #21
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBuck View Post
For the record, I heard the girl at counter tell someone who was complaining that LOTS of people use atm/debit cards and credit cards, people dont like cash, and they usually have np problems running the card, but this guys card would NOT go through

so it wasnt subways fault
Some card readers just wont read a strip for whatever reason; I'm still finding it hard to blame GQ dude. And what's wrong with GQ? I used to subscribe to the mag, haha.

The real question is, a Subway steak and cheese? REALLY??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I don't see the issue other that a lot of people in a hurry wanting to be served instantly as is much the culture nowdays.
New Yorkers are notorious for being impatient, especially during lunch hour. But we're used to lines too. So, to dispel a NY stereotype, we generally don't riot in long lines or delays. It does take awhile for us to get used to the generally slower pace in other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
I suspect that, since he bought so many sandwiches, he was buying them for a business lunch. As such, that card was probably dedicated for such use (may not have even been his), and he just didn't want to file an expense report.
Even so, I still would've been frustrated too. Even after 5 mins, give it up lady.
Or, it was an office type thing, and everyone threw in $ for their order, and GQ wanted to earn points on his card. There's a woman in my office that loves doing that, and I've had lunch with her. I just give her my share and wait for her outside while she deals with the signing and other bullshit.

I generally only get frustrated when I have to hand over my card, and the register person is clueless in how to swipe a card. S/he will go through every permutation of swiping the card, except for where the magnetic strip is. I've seen people at atm machines take 10 minutes flipping their card every which way, and they look at the machine for signs from God or something. That's when I start thinking, "FML!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthman View Post
Also, as someone who has worked in a customer service position with dodgy connectivity, I can tell you that the cashier was probably every bit as annoyed/frustrated as any customer in that line. The difference is, if a customer doesn't like it, they can walk out and go somewhere else. The cashier's stuck there to take the brunt of anger that's building up in the line.
What is this connectivity issue? Anyway, when technology goes wrong, which can be often in this digital age, it can be frustrating. And, I often feel for the person stuck with dealing with customers. As a whole, dealing with the public is a shitty job, for probably not great wages, so I'm not gonna make someone's possible not great life even worse by taking out my frustrations on them. Actually, dealing with people is often a shitty situation. I just try not to be that dumbass. I must be maturing in my old age. With my smartphone I start surfing the net to make the wait bearable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Nowadays, the only thing that I purchase with cash is weed. And that fucker, nor his mom, ever have change for a twenty. How convenient!
Ha, I missed this the first go 'round. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
Most of the retail places I've worked made distinctions between a denied card and can't connect. Hopefully she wasn't just blindly swiping it repeatedly just hoping that it would suddenly accept it...though I wouldn't exactly be surprised either.
I came close to losing my shit when I was paying at a busy Chipotle. The register person kept swiping my card, and it didn't register. Then, I noticed there was something stuck in the card slot, and pointed that out to her. So she starts sawing in the slot with my card, and I said, "can you turn my card around so you don't ruin the magnetic strip?" But she either didn't understand, or was simply ignoring me, and kept sawing away. I finally yelled, "TURN THE CARD OVER, OR USE YOUR CARD!" I hate yelling at kids barely making minimum. I have no problem in yelling at my co-workers who make a helluva lot more than minimum, for being both dumb and lazy. I doubt they can man a fucking cash register. I wanna kill most of them on a daily basis.

Quote:
I understand that the situation is a little more complicated in the USA, because you guys used to have a similar law that was arguably supplanted by another. But it's not really the type of thing you can enforce anyway; most people don't know about it, and bringing it up with a customer is sure to result in an argument that takes up more time than just ringing the damn purchase through would.
I don't recall ever having a law like that. I'm not sure that would be legal. Stores often have their own policy just so they don't get tied up with everyone paying in loose change (which I often do with the loose change I manage to amass on a daily basis). Lots of stores here have a sign, "Charges for purchases over $X only." Which is against our consumer laws. That's often in smaller stores, and I think they have that because there's a transaction fee for every time a card is used. I think it's a percentage of the amount. If I'm stuck with no cash, I'll buy more crap to meet the $$ quota. I've gotten tired of arguing with people. Yeah, it must be age.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 AM   #22
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by SustaiNZ View Post
For real? That sounds like some fascist bullshit a bored back bencher came-up with and sold to the rest of parliament in an attempt to move up the list. FFS, who can remember all that? Surely not the guy who's paying for stuff like that; such a person probably has trouble tying his fucking shoes or walking and chewing gum at the same time and probably lives in a cardboard box (or a van) down by the river. Regulation nation.
Like I said, it's not enforced whatsoever. I stumbled upon it by accident, and the only other people I know who know about it are the people I've explained it to. But I do think it's a fairly reasonable thing to have on the table for extreme cases, otherwise you might have some fuckknob try to buy a TV in quarters and claim the store HAS TO take it as payment because it's legal tender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgsByte View Post
Never had much faith in any currency that used a "Toonie" as legal tender.
What I find bizarre is that the first part of the Act describes coinage "two dollars or greater, but not exceeding ten dollars." Two-dollar coins are as high as we go, except maybe for some commemorative coins we might have produced at some point...and if someone tried to pay for something entirely in commemorative coins, that would be pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I don't recall ever having a law like that. I'm not sure that would be legal.
Not sure if it was an out-and-out law, but it was some kind of understood thing that you couldn't pay for purchases beyond a certain amount with coins, anyway. If I remember the stuff I read just earlier today correctly, it was in the 1930s that Congress declared all coins legal tender for all debts public or private, which seems to negate that...but businesses have the right to set their own policies regarding accepting payment in certain "unreasonable" forms (like buying a car in nickels or buying a stick of gum with a $100).
Old 07-17-2014, 04:36 AM   #23
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Not sure if it was an out-and-out law, but it was some kind of understood thing that you couldn't pay for purchases beyond a certain amount with coins, anyway. If I remember the stuff I read just earlier today correctly, it was in the 1930s that Congress declared all coins legal tender for all debts public or private, which seems to negate that...but businesses have the right to set their own policies regarding accepting payment in certain "unreasonable" forms (like buying a car in nickels or buying a stick of gum with a $100).
Actually, I think the bold isn't legal, but as I said, many stores set "store policies" that people just go along with. People tend to believe something, just because it's posted. I routinely go into the "women's room" in restaurants, much to the chagrin of women waiting (I normally wash my hands, and see no point in waiting for the "men's room").

Anyway, I just remembered- a few years ago, a husband was ordered to pay his soon to be ex wife's legal fees for the divorce. Something like $20 grand. He had $20 grand in pennies delivered to the lawyer's office. HAHA AWESOME!

Edit: I'll stand corrected as far as store policy: http://content.time.com/time/special...913865,00.html Still, if someone is attempting to pay a debt, or a bill, I'd argue that a good faith effort was made to pay the debt, and refusal to accept pennies discharged the debt. In other random news: http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2299013...-tons-of-coins

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.

Last edited by Silimtao; 07-17-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:43 AM   #24
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Quote:
Lots of stores here have a sign, "Charges for purchases over $X only." Which is against our consumer laws. That's often in smaller stores, and I think they have that because there's a transaction fee for every time a card is used
Indeed that used to be the case, although I too always saw minimum purchase signs anyways, but I'm almost positive that was recently rescinded and now they're officially allowed to require minimum purchases...I think it might've tagged along with some sort of finance bill or maybe legislation for credit user privacy/terms, I don't remember. But it was within the last year or two. So really, nothing much has changed, haha.

*Just looked it up. I guess I only learned of it within the last year, but it was actually part of the 2010 Wall Street reform bill. But yeah, that's just for credit cards, not cash/coins. Although I've yet to encounter it, they can require a minimum purchase up to $10!

Last edited by Rustee; 07-17-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Googled
Rustee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #25
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

Quote:
Actually, I think the bold isn't legal, but as I said, many stores set "store policies" that people just go along with. People tend to believe something, just because it's posted.
That's very true, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Department of the Treasury
The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.
Lol @ the pennies thing. Kinda reminds me of the guy who was sent a speeding ticket along with a photo of his speeding car taken from a traffic camera. He sent the police a picture of the money he was supposed to pay.

...they sent back a picture of handcuffs, and he paid up. Lol.

EDIT: Just saw your edit. I accept your apology (but only in denominations of $0.10 or larger).
Old 07-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #26
PEAVEYUSA
PEAVEYUSA

PEAVEYUSA Just getting started PEAVEYUSA Just getting started

I don't even carry cash, all I have is my plastic. Its to convenient to not use. Cash is way inconvenient. Besides a savy saver will tell you if you have cash you're gona spend it!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:48 PM   #27
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

I'm usually pretty patient about things that slow the line down, but what really grinds my gears is when a full family is in line at a food joint, and by the time their turn comes up, they still haven't even started deciding on what they all want to get.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #28
StarBuck

StarBuck Just getting started

good responses guys

Maybe I should have mentioned I, as many others, am an inpatient asshole LOL

it is true...everyone is in a hurry and wants THEIR shit taken care of first

he had 5 subs so I can see using an atm...someone had to suffer the bunt of my rant, after all, my steak and cheese was frickin cold
Old 07-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #29
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

Buying a steak and cheese sub at Subway is just wrong...yecchh.....no offense.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #30
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBuck View Post
good responses guys

Maybe I should have mentioned I, as many others, am an inpatient asshole LOL

it is true...everyone is in a hurry and wants THEIR shit taken care of first

he had 5 subs so I can see using an atm...someone had to suffer the bunt of my rant, after all, my steak and cheese was frickin cold
Well you should have said something. A cold sandwich. That customer is indeed a fellatio (ater) of male sex organs. He should have been shot without hesitation.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote