Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 07-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title
Default Fasting.

Im 38 hours into my fast.

Why am i fasting ?...dunno, i skipped a few meals then started reading about how long was is safe, and then about the benefits.I thought what the hell lets ave it haha.

Im just learning about how the body regenerates itself when you fast .They have done studies and trials that say it can repair the body after illness, and revitalize the immnune system...sounds like some new age crap, but theres a lot to back this stuff up.I dont know why, or how this works, and its all new to me.I have heard of the benifits of detoxing though.

Fasting will:

1. rest the digestive system
  2. allow for cleansing and detoxification of the body
  3. create a break in eating patterns, while shining a spotlight on them
  4. promote greater mental clarity
  5. cleanse and heal "stuck" emotional patterns
  6. lead to a feeling of physical lightness, increasing energy level
  7. promote an inner stillness, enhancing spiritual connection.
Quote:
Fasting for as little as three days can regenerate the entire immune system, even in the elderly, scientists have found in a breakthrough described as "remarkable".

Although fasting diets have been criticized by nutritionists for being unhealthy, new research suggests starving the body kick-starts stem cells into producing new white blood cells, which fight off infection.

Scientists at the University of Southern California say the discovery could be particularly beneficial for people suffering from damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients on chemotherapy.

It could also help the elderly whose immune system becomes less effective as they age, making it harder for them to fight off even common diseases.

The researchers say fasting "flips a regenerative switch" which prompts stem cells to create brand new white blood cells, essentially regenerating the entire immune system.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...udy-finds.html
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #2
Ibanez Girl
87 yo Spinster

Ibanez Girl The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Ibanez Girl The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Won't your stomach get used to the lack of food? I stopped eating breakfast and haven't had an appetite in two years...

Fasting doesn't sound healthy, sounds risky.

I recently went on a tour of Varitas Eating Disorder clinic for children and teens and the woman said that dieting too much is one of the easiest ways to get an eating disorder/set off eating disorder or something like that...

I don't care what the facts say. Too much "dieting" and exercise can hurt you...my proof is the 9 kids I saw doing their homework the day I went.
Ibanez Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
Tommittaja
Delusionary member

Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Hmmmmmmmm I'm not sure how bogus I think the whole "don't get nutrients so your body's immune system does better", but whatever. Haven't studied biology QUITE enough hehe-
Could be true for all I know. Like a defensive mechanism in the body to prevent the lack of food from letting your body get TOO weak (though yeah, that's what happens >_>)

Personally, if I don't eat, I just feel super weak and can't concentrate on anything and start shaking. And that's not with just not eating, with not eating well, too. Like, if I gorge on potato chips and soda all day.
Emotional patterns? Hmm... a lot of extreme measures are advertised as helping with meditation etc. Personally, exercise works pretty well for me with the whole mental clarity and stuff.

Not eating is also not very healthy regarding muscles and stuff, if there's not enough stuff left.
I just wouldn't like fasting because I like physical activity, and if I did daily hour swimming sessions, I'd pretty much vanish from
existence after a while ;D *turns into a stick-figure*

BUT it's interesting nevertheless. Update on if it's got any positive-seeming effects on it after a while, yeah? Could be cool to know.
Tommittaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Watch our for burning bushes

I had a really bad case of gastric flu a couple years back, I simply couldn't eat, and being diabetic it was even worse.

Apart from clear soup, I didn't eat anything for over a week. When it was all behind me (including what seemed like a hundred weight of poop), I did feel pretty good.

I went from 86Kg to 72Kg which is my fighting weight.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Ibanez Girl
87 yo Spinster

Ibanez Girl The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Ibanez Girl The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDancer View Post
Watch our for burning bushes

I had a really bad case of gastric flu a couple years back, I simply couldn't eat, and being diabetic it was even worse.

Apart from clear soup, I didn't eat anything for over a week. When it was all behind me (including what seemed like a hundred weight of poop), I did feel pretty good.

I went from 86Kg to 72Kg which is my fighting weight.
LOL, last time I got the stomach flu I didn't eat anything for only five or so days and when I was feeling better it felt like my stomach was eating itself (which it probably was).

If I could go back and not have any sensation happen to me, out of all the swollen ear cannals and broken noses, I would 10/10 never experiance starvation in my life.

Once was enough. Even though I don't get hungry I still know when I'm hungry sometimes, so I try to eat a little at least once a day.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
Tommittaja
Delusionary member

Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tommittaja The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez Girl View Post
LOL, last time I got the stomach flu I didn't eat anything for only five or so days and when I was feeling better it felt like my stomach was eating itself (which it probably was).

If I could go back and not have any sensation happen to me, out of all the swollen ear cannals and broken noses, I would 10/10 never experiance starvation in my life.
Once was enough. Even though I don't get hungry I still know when I'm hungry sometimes, so I try to eat a little at least once a day.
FIVE DAYS? Are you mad?! haha (even more so over a week with RD)

I can go without eating for about 24-36 hours before I start getting into the kind of shape where I can't even move well and I shake too much to do anything and I simply have to eat unless I want to pass out in the following hour or so and go
into a blood-sugar-induced coma D:
Tommittaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez Girl View Post
Won't your stomach get used to the lack of food?

Fasting doesn't sound healthy, sounds risky.
The stomach shrinks when you eat less.I dont see that as a bad thing.

Thats the thing about fasting people misunderstand it...i mean we HAVE to eat regular or we will die or become ill seems the order of the day.You have to research the whole of it to understand it properly.I mean to understand the processes the body goes through when you dont eat for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommittaja View Post
Personally, if I don't eat, I just feel super weak and can't concentrate on anything and start shaking. And that's not with just not eating, with not eating well, too. Like, if I gorge on potato chips and soda all day.
Emotional patterns? Hmm... a lot of extreme measures are advertised as helping with meditation etc. Personally, exercise works pretty well for me with the whole mental clarity and stuff.
I did start to feel weak, and irritable.I think that was just the body craving for all that sugar i was putting into it.When i eat a lot of junk food, and become over weight it does affect my well being...i feel like shit to be honest, and there is a lot to be said for you are what you eat.
Quote:
Not eating is also not very healthy regarding muscles and stuff, if there's not enough stuff left.
Well im looking at intermittent fasting here, and not something that goes on for days and weeks that yes could be dangerous obviously...it more like a detox, but is a lot more comprehensive where the body and mind is concerned.

Quote:
BUT it's interesting nevertheless. Update on if it's got any positive-seeming effects on it after a while, yeah? Could be cool to know.
Well it was a struggle when i started to feel hungry and irritable.When i awoke this morning i felt fantastic, and my stomach stopped grumbling.I dont feel weak, and my state of mind is good haha....i dont think i will go much longer on it, and was just thinking of introducing some food back in.I will go longer next time.

I have been a bit over weight and feeling a bit sluggish mentally.Going to cut out salt and sugar, and some fats when i do start to eat again.I just couldn't carry on like i was health wise.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Ibanez Girl
87 yo Spinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommittaja View Post
FIVE DAYS? Are you mad?! haha (even more so over a week with RD)

I can go without eating for about 24-36 hours before I start getting into the kind of shape where I can't even move well and I shake too much to do anything and I simply have to eat unless I want to pass out in the following hour or so and go
into a blood-sugar-induced coma D:
Lol, like I said before I haven't felt hungry in almost two years. I felt starved once (NEVER AGAIN) but haven't really craved anything.

I don't get sick a lot, but when I do I'm dying.

Edit: Also the worst part is that I'm anemic, and at one point just looking up I would pass out.

Also Jase yes having a small stomach can be good, but you should still be aware that too much dieting isn't good for anyone. I can't tell you what to do, you're a grown man...but I would make an appointment with a nutritionist or someone and have a talking with them if you're gonna do stuff like this. They can help you establish a healthy diet while also giving you the health factors (cons and pros) of dieting. And tell you if what you are doing is healthy or not (which imo it's not).

If you're not going to eat at least drink some protein powder or something..I mean I'm sure drugs feel good for some people too but that doesn't make it healthy to do them (not that I'm completely comparing your situation)

Last edited by Ibanez Girl; 07-19-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #9
Ibanez Girl
87 yo Spinster

Found the perfect article for this...

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/features/is_fasting_healthy
Old 07-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

The article also went on to say:
"However, some British experts were sceptical of the research.
Dr Graham Rook, emeritus professor of immunology at University College London, said the study sounded "improbable." That's why I hate newspapers with headlines that blare,
Fasting for three days can regenerate entire immune system, study finds

It's not even clear to me what study, and who this "Dr. Longo" is, who cites "emails from cancer patients" as "evidence."

I'm not saying fasting is necessarily bad. There's safe ways, and dangerous ways. Fasting isn't new, I'm just not sure of the science behind it.

I have an ex bro in law (who's Argentine, and I'm sure his heart is broken from the WC) who had cancer hit his lymph nodes. My sister, who was into every freaking new-age thing under the sun, shipped him off to California, where he went on a "juice fast" for a month, in some new-agey "health institute," and he went home totally clean of cancer (allegedly). He then went back on his normal diet (lotsa meat), and the cancer came back, and he had to have most of his lymph nodes removed. My bro in law then had an affair with a young chippy, my sis divorced him, my sis is now in a cult in the northwest. So, using sketchy science, and reasoning, I'll conclude that fasting can:

1. get you a new, young hot chick

2. cause your former partner to join a cult

Oh, it'll get you a BJ in your car, but you gotta risk your car rolling into the ocean haha. That's how my sis found out about the affair. The dumb fuck was getting a BJ or some shit in his (actually, my sis' car) car while parked near a pier. He didn't put the handbrake on, and the car rolled into the fucking ocean haha. He's a bad liar.

That light headed feeling is called "dying." Head into the light Jase!

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote