Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Donna25

Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts
Default Tell me about New Orleans! Where to go, what to do...

So my friends and I are travelling together this summer and one of our stops is The Big Easy.

They didn't want to go and I sort of badgered them into it so as a result, I'm in charge of everything we do there. Has anyone been? I'd like to know where to go, where to stay, what to do, and what to avoid.

I can't wait! I've been dying to go for years. My friends are going to regret putting me in charge. They all listen to Top 40 music and I'm going to drag them to every blues and jazz place in the city.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM   #2
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

My wife and I stayed at the Prince Conti hotel once and I remember it being nice. Close by (near the corner of Bourbon and Conti) was the JägerHaus which had really amazing coffe and German food.

Bourbon St. is basically a giant tourist trap; overpriced drinks (if you drink), lots of stores selling overpriced t-shirts and nicknacks, and too many "parrot head" bars to count. There are some standouts, though and Fritzel's comes immediately to mind. Low key joint that always has Jazz bands playing and is definitely worth a visit. You never know what you'll hear walking up and down the street though so it's worth exploring.

The locals hang out on Frenchman St so I'd make a journey out there to see what's going on. You should at least expect lower prices and probably a little bit better food. Caffe Du Monde is worth checking out and really that whole section of the Quarter is nice to explore during the daytime.

AVOID GOING NORTH OF BOURBON ST. Seriously, you've got a block or two and then it's straight up ghetto. Great place to get mugged. Just don't do it.

Finally, if you've got the time or are headed further West anyway and you want to experience real Cajun food, I recommend Prejean's outside Lafayette off I-49. Amazing Cajun food (although if you or anyone you're with is very strict about eating Halal, most of the South and especially Louisiana are going to be tough for you).

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
Donna25

Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts

Okay so no north of Bourbon Street for me.

I've been googling the hell out of Frenchman St and I think we'll have a blast there. Cafe du Monde has been on my must visit list for ages.

Thanks for all the info!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

No problem! If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Have fun!

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 07-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

New Orleans is only a few hours drive from here, but I've yet to make it out there. Feel free to facepalm.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Ibanez Girl
87 yo Spinster

Ibanez Girl The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Ibanez Girl The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

New Orleans, like most places has a famous strip where all the clubs are. I forgot the name but there's one place that sells a signature drink that has LED mugs and glow different colors and it's really cool.

I've never been in though because I'm teen and I'm lame.

Also seafood.
Ibanez Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez Girl View Post
New Orleans, like most places has a famous strip where all the clubs are. I forgot the name but there's one place that sells a signature drink that has LED mugs and glow different colors and it's really cool.

I've never been in though because I'm teen and I'm lame.

Also seafood.
Bourbon Street, and "Hand Grenades" (mostly booze and sugar; available at many of the previously mentioned Parrot Head bars and guaranteed to get you fucked up and leave you hung over the morning after). Also there's no LED in the hand grenade glasses... They just look that way naturally.

Y'know... FYI.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 07-21-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Ibanez Girl
87 yo Spinster

Ibanez Girl The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Ibanez Girl The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
Bourbon Street, and "Hand Grenades" (mostly booze and sugar; available at many of the previously mentioned Parrot Head bars and guaranteed to get you fucked up and leave you hung over the morning after). Also there's no LED in the hand grenade glasses... They just look that way naturally.

Y'know... FYI.
No..lol. I'm talking about LED beer mugs.

Like these:

But they have way more going on. I don't remember which club had them.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Ah, gotcha. That's new since my last visit.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Old 07-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #10
Ibanez Girl
87 yo Spinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
Ah, gotcha. That's new since my last visit.
Yeah, after I came back I saw that they were in an episode of Bar Rescue. Which was both cool and weird because their bar was disgusting in the "before" part of the show. I didn't even recognize it at first.