Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #21
no talent hack
Fun loving nihilist

no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Crescent City Brewery is a nice two level brew pub/restaurant on the edge of the French Quarter, facing the river. The day we were there they had a nice tasteful jazz trio playing on the lower level right there by the stairs. Beautiful inside, good freshly brewed beer and the food is wonderful.

But it's N'awlins. You ain't gonna survive unless you serve good food. It's very competitive.

Frenchman's Street was okay. I thought there'd be more there, but it's a fairly small area. Supposedly that's where the locals go. IDK.

We had a good time. Well except for the guy who sat next to me at 13 on Frenchman's Street and stank so badly I was ready to knock him off the stool. The missus was ready to divorce me. I think I embarrassed her.

But I digress.

Have fun and keep your wallet/purse secured.
no talent hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #22
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

True, the French Quarter is a tourist trap, but if it's your first visit, you can't exactly NOT do it. There's only so many places in the country where you can wander the streets with a drink in hand.

A couple of nice places to stay:

The Bourbon Orleans, right in the heart of the Quarter, upscale and very nice. See if you can snag one of the bi-level suites. Led Zeppelin used to stay there! ... or so they'll say. Lol!

The Place d' Armes, on Saint Ann, 2 blocks off Bourbon. Doesn't look like much from the street, but they've got a super nice courtyard and a real "leave me alone" low key kind of vibe. My favorite digs in the Quarter.

Check out the Garden District if you like old architecture. Jackson Square is nice but keep an eye on your wallet. Lot's of little kids hustling spare change there. The St Louis Cemetery is pretty cool - that's where they have all the crypts and stuff. Also, kinda dumb but fun - Marie Laveau's House of Voodoo. You can pick up a voodoo doll and get back at the ex! Buy a few bags of Zapp's Cajun Crawtater potato chips. Locally made, best damn potato chips you'll ever eat.

And be prepared: New Orleans in the summer is hot and humid. Unreal hot and humid.

Great City - Have Fun!
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #23
Donna25

Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts Donna25 Has Anal Warts

Oh man, thanks for reminding me! I've been interested in Marie Laveau for ages!

No worries, I live on an island in the Middle East. Hot and humid is the norm around here.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #24
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
New Orleans is only a few hours drive from here, but I've yet to make it out there. Feel free to facepalm.
GEezus...

Donna, depending on your budget, I highly recommend the gumbo shop. They've got alright lunch prices. Just get a bowl of gumbo and bloody mary, and it shouldn't be too bad. Also, stuff you face with beignets and iced chickory smoked coffee for me from cafe du monde.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:22 PM   #25
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocryphal Karma View Post
GEezus...
In my defense, I have made several trips to and through Louisiana, just not NO. It's on the to-do list, but just hasn't been a priority. SE Texas has plenty of Cajun influence already (esp. post-Katrina) and Galveston is a NO wannabe, or is at least similar in many ways - historical tourist trap that hosts its own Mardi Gras and you can walk The Strand with a drink. No it's not the same I know, but come vacation time I'm generally looking to get away.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #26
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
In my defense, I have made several trips to and through Louisiana, just not NO. It's on the to-do list, but just hasn't been a priority. SE Texas has plenty of Cajun influence already (esp. post-Katrina) and Galveston is a NO wannabe, or is at least similar in many ways - historical tourist trap that hosts its own Mardi Gras and you can walk The Strand with a drink. No it's not the same I know, but come vacation time I'm generally looking to get away.
NO gets old really quickly for me. I'd much rather hang out in downtown Lafayette. Better food, cheaper drinks, less trash, no tourists.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #27
no talent hack
Fun loving nihilist

no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms no talent hack is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
NO gets old really quickly for me. I'd much rather hang out in downtown Lafayette. Better food, cheaper drinks, less trash, no tourists.
I gotta admit, there's no shortage of scuzziness in the French Quarter. You don't have to wander very far to have it slap you in the face.

But I guess everyone has to make the pilgrimage once in their lifetime, just to say they did.

Or do we?
no talent hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #28
jackxiv
Banned

jackxiv Just getting started

Don't make any jokes about Hurricane Katrina. That is still really serious down there, trust me.
jackxiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #29
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Oh yeah, Pat O'brien's for Hurricanes, not Brennens, been a long time....;-) But if you see a large RED cup being drunk on the streets, it's usually a Hurricane, followed by much stumbling and drunk sick.....;-) ain't it gonna be fun?!?!?!?

Galveston.. umm at Guido's Seafood, I wonder if it is still there after the Hurricane that tore up the place a few yrs. ago....many a good seafood meal taken there.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #30
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

Yeah, Gaido's is still there, giant crab on the roof and all. Flagship Hotel and the Balinese, not so much. Well the piers that the hotel were on now support a "pleasure pier" - Ferris wheel and other stuff. Where the Balinese was is now just open water, with a plaque on the seawall.