Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started
Default Ebay

Do you find that buying and selling on Ebay varies with the seasons or with the economy? I'm sure it does to some extent but do you ever think you have items priced to sell and they still don't sell quickly?

I've recently sold 5 items fairly quickly. I currently have 3 items that aren't selling quickly. Two of them are more explainable. One is an expensive (?) classical guitar and one is a charango (not too popular in the U.S.).

The one that is puzzling however is a Fender Standard (MIM) Strat in a relatively rare (but nice looking) color, Sage Green. This should only help distinguish it and make it more marketable.

I bought it for $330 including shipping, used but near mint condition with no gig bag. I now have it listed for $325 +$50 shipping and it includes a padded gig bag. It's still in the same near mint condition.

This should sell, right? It's not like it's over priced. Everything else (comparable) is priced about the same or higher. On Reverb, there are several MIM Strats in Sage Green priced much higher.

It's been listed (fixed price) for about 10 days already.

Is this just because there are so many other options that no one really goes looking specifically for a MIM Strat and it just takes more time to sell?
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I think part of it is market saturation of strats of all flavors, with the Squier CV series putting a huge dent in the used MIA/MiM market. Why buy a used MiM when you can get a fantastic NEW CV for $399 (or less; I bought mine for $250 from GC).

I think the economy has a lot to do with things too. There's still plenty of people climbing out of the economic crash, and even though unemployment is down, when people returned to work, it wasn't necessarily at high paying jobs.

One thing that strikes me about your sale- $50 shipping. I think something psychological happens that can put people off (for me, it does). It seems counter intuitive, but if things are priced too low, often, the next step is to raise the price- based on marketing studies I've read. I've seen ebay sellers I've followed do exactly that. Anyway, I took a quick look at ebay, and the lowest price I saw with $50 shipping was $375. But prices are all over the map: $400-$600+, and they're MiMs.

I think it's a buyer's market near Christmas when people are cash strapped to buy gifts.

Coblat is the most successful ebay seller I know here. Maybe he has input. This is my 2 cents as a buyer.

Hey, sage green IS a nice color. I'm following this just to see how it goes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272882565927...MakeTrack=true

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I think part of it is market saturation of strats of all flavors, with the Squier CV series putting a huge dent in the used MIA/MiM market. Why buy a used MiM when you can get a fantastic NEW CV for $399 (or less; I bought mine for $250 from GC).

I think the economy has a lot to do with things too. There's still plenty of people climbing out of the economic crash, and even though unemployment is down, when people returned to work, it wasn't necessarily at high paying jobs.

One thing that strikes me about your sale- $50 shipping. I think something psychological happens that can put people off (for me, it does). It seems counter intuitive, but if things are priced too low, often, the next step is to raise the price- based on marketing studies I've read. I've seen ebay sellers I've followed do exactly that. Anyway, I took a quick look at ebay, and the lowest price I saw with $50 shipping was $375. But prices are all over the map: $400-$600+, and they're MiMs.

I think it's a buyer's market near Christmas when people are cash strapped to buy gifts.

Coblat is the most successful ebay seller I know here. Maybe he has input. This is my 2 cents as a buyer.

Hey, sage green IS a nice color. I'm following this just to see how it goes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272882565927...MakeTrack=true
This one should sell.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stand...cAAOSwnyBZ12VW
Old 10-11-2017, 12:06 AM   #4
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
"Should" being the operative word. If it had a rosewood neck, and I was in the market, I'd buy it. Notice that there's 19 days left? My MiM strat is almost that color. It has the thinnest neck I've ever felt on a Fender. I think it's a partscaster. Got it on ebay for <$400. I can be pretty patient. When I lusted for a Tele '72 RI, I waited months for the right price. I got one for around $400 with HSC. I'm thinking of selling that. It has a classic C neck, and doesn't get enough play. But the stock pups DO sound great. I may list it for $375 w/out case. Tweed case; I'm keeping it.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 AM   #5
Seattle

Quote:
"Should" being the operative word. If it had a rosewood neck, and I was in the market, I'd buy it. Notice that there's 19 days left? My MiM strat is almost that color. It has the thinnest neck I've ever felt on a Fender. I think it's a partscaster. Got it on ebay for <$400. I can be pretty patient. When I lusted for a Tele '72 RI, I waited months for the right price. I got one for around $400 with HSC. I'm thinking of selling that. It has a classic C neck, and doesn't get enough play. But the stock pups DO sound great. I may list it for $375 w/out case. Tweed case; I'm keeping it.
It's a fixed price listing so the "days left" really doesn't matter since there is no listing fee and since it's not an auction.

I just got a $500 offer on my classical guitar tonight but I turned it now. I now have it listed at my lowest price of $750.

My "net" on that Strat is only $275 anyway as I'm still paying $75 for shipping even though I've listed it as "free shipping".

I just got my offer accepted on a Godin ACS Slim nylon string electric for $650 including shipping. It's used but like new. New price is generally a bit over $1,000. This one was listed at $699 with free shipping but using "Make an Offer" I got it down to $650.

At least this makes is easier to set pricing on my 3 existing Ebay items as all I'm really doing is selling some things so I can buy more things.

This is the last of the things that I've wanted to purchase. In the last 60 days I've gotten a PRS SE Santana, Godin Kingpin, Deering Goodtime Banjo, and now the Godin ACS Slim.

Last edited by Seattle; 10-11-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #6
Seattle

The Strat just sold for $375 including shipping. Now I just have to get that classical guitar sold!
Old 10-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Congrats. I wondered where this thread went. Didn't realize you put it under guitars.

There's no listing fee if you sell as a buy it now?

Old 10-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Glad you sold your guitar.

Looking at the auction, the only thing that was a little off putting to me were the fuzzy pictures. Partly a psychological thing. It can also give the impression that you are trying to hide something or you don't really care about your posting.

As superficial as all that may seem, I think it's important trying to present an image.

Good luck with your other ebay sales!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

I've sold camera equipment and watches on ebay, I agree on the photo thing, that can make a big difference. I usually hang a super dark blanket in the background, take the pics in a darker room but with light directed at the item from an angle, make sure the shots are sharp and edit the photos on my pc so they are sharp and contrasty looking. Makes things look so much more attractive.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:30 AM   #10
Seattle

Quote:
Congrats. I wondered where this thread went. Didn't realize you put it under guitars.

There's no listing fee if you sell as a buy it now?
There's no listing fee for musical instrument (trying to compete with Reverb).