Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 09-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #1
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default Treble bleed - love it or hate?

I'm curious what you thoughts and experiences are concerning using a treble bleed.

I'm considering installing one as I upgrade the other parts. Right now, I'm about 70/30 against it. The cost and effort are non-factors. It's all a question of tone.

On one hand, it seems like it would help the tone stay brighter and clearer as the volume is rolled off. That sounds like it might be good, especially for cleans.

I'm not going to play clean, though. My version of clean is a light crunch or slightly overdriven tone that cleans up as I roll the volume back. I'm more concerned that the tone will sound thin as I roll the volume down.

NOTE: I'd be using a capacitor & resistor version of a treble bleed.

Last edited by DanRode; 09-26-2017 at 03:29 PM.
DanRode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I had the same considerations when I modded my Squier. I also considered using a 500k pot. I figured I could add the treble bleed and pot, if I wasn't happy with the tone. In my case, I'm glad I didn't because I'm really happy with the tone, particularly the bridge pup.

I don't think you'll really know until you do it.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I just saw a video on the StewMac site where a guitar tech soldered alligator clips to the a treble bleed. Smart... Clip it on and play a bit to try it out. I may do something similar to test it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I had the same considerations when I modded my Squier. I also considered using a 500k pot. I figured I could add the treble bleed and pot, if I wasn't happy with the tone. In my case, I'm glad I didn't because I'm really happy with the tone, particularly the bridge pup.

I don't think you'll really know until you do it.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I just saw a video on the StewMac site where a guitar tech soldered alligator clips to the a treble bleed. Smart... Clip it on and play a bit to try it out. I may do something similar to test it out.
Fill mentioned a similarish tip, which is a great one. As well as the alligator clip being a heatsink.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

I have alligator clips on my list for just that reason. I'm sure I read Fill's tip here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Fill mentioned a similarish tip, which is a great one. As well as the alligator clip being a heatsink.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I pay clean or near-clean, and do it routinely, small cap only.

You could use a trimpot to make the bleed adjustable.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

OK, my comment is going to be the pit of hypocracy. The guitar I built has a treble bleed on the volume control and I don't use tone controls. However, when I was out and about playing gigs, my guitar didn't have a treble bleed because I ran full volume when soloing and rolled the volume back a little when chording. Without the treble bleed, my solo work cut through better and when I rolled it back, it took the sharp edge off my sound. I suggest you try it without the bleed first and if any slight hum gets through or its too much bite, then take the one minute to solder the cap from one leg to the can.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 PM   #8
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I liked it on mine. I liked it better with just the capacitor without a resistor. With the resistor, I noticed that it doesn't have "sweep". As in, from "0" it gets loud immediately when you roll up. I used the alligator clips too.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:25 AM   #9
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

That's really interesting. I'm a new player and just play at home but I do just what you describe with my Strat.

It's normally on 7-8. I'll roll back to 4-5 to clean up or to 10 to get a little more volume and dirt. No one ever told me to do this, it just what works. I don't really use the tone knobs much. The bridge could benefit from the tone slightly rolled off but mine doesn't have a tone pot for the bridge.

With humbuckers, I'm mostly on 10 and I'll roll back to 5-6 to clean up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
OK, my comment is going to be the pit of hypocracy. The guitar I built has a treble bleed on the volume control and I don't use tone controls. However, when I was out and about playing gigs, my guitar didn't have a treble bleed because I ran full volume when soloing and rolled the volume back a little when chording. Without the treble bleed, my solo work cut through better and when I rolled it back, it took the sharp edge off my sound. I suggest you try it without the bleed first and if any slight hum gets through or its too much bite, then take the one minute to solder the cap from one leg to the can.