Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 10-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title
Default New neck?.

Along with monitors I've been looking around locally for luthiers. I'm looking to pay around 200 for a refret, and setup.

I've heard good things about buying an allparts neck, and if I can find one that fits my squire affinity I'll go for that. I'm worried about the quality of frets on them, and just quality overall. Anyone buy a replacement neck, and was you happy with it.

So what to do refret, and setup or new neck, and fit myself?.

Just realised I can buy a brand new affinity for 180. I might take my Ibenez artcore in sell that, and look to buy a new or second hand axe.

Last edited by Jase; 10-06-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I replaced the frets in my Affinity Stratocaster. Bought stainless steel fret wire from Allparts, I think. Used cutting pliers and a file. Curved the fret wire to match the fingerboard radius using the handle of a hair brush. The job went well. Stainless steel frets show no wear and it's been about three years since the repair.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
Along with monitors I've been looking around locally for luthiers. I'm looking to pay around 200 for a refret, and setup.

I've heard good things about buying an allparts neck, and if I can find one that fits my squire affinity I'll go for that. I'm worried about the quality of frets on them, and just quality overall. Anyone buy a replacement neck, and was you happy with it.

So what to do refret, and setup or new neck, and fit myself?.

Just realised I can buy a brand new affinity for 180. I might take my Ibenez artcore in sell that, and look to buy a new or second hand axe.
Check out 'Kiesel' necks (formerly "Carvin"). One thing I can vouch for is the quality of their fret work. It is literally second to none. They come with a pre-slotted nut and are absolutely perfect right out of the box.

You have lots of options regarding fret size, regular or stainless steel frets, fretboard and neck stock wood, fingerboard radius, inlays, headstock shapes, etc, and they're not really that expensive considering the quality you're getting.
I've used those necks in bolt on neck guitars I've built, and I've used their neck-thru body necks as well.

IMO, there isnt a better neck out there regarding fret prep, and overall quality straight out of the box.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/cart/b...el=bn&tested=1

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
I replaced the frets in my Affinity Stratocaster. Bought stainless steel fret wire from Allparts, I think. Used cutting pliers and a file. Curved the fret wire to match the fingerboard radius using the handle of a hair brush. The job went well. Stainless steel frets show no wear and it's been about three years since the repair.
I've always moaned at the fact of luthier tools from stewmac being expensive, and it put the stops to me doing the work myself. I have recently been looking on ebay, and elsewhere for files for crown work etc , and box straight edges for levels. I've decided to do the work myself, and start collecting the tools I need.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote