Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 08:02 PM   #1
Greg
Humanoid Smut

Greg Confuses Ass and Elbow Greg Confuses Ass and Elbow Greg Confuses Ass and Elbow Greg Confuses Ass and Elbow Greg Confuses Ass and Elbow Greg Confuses Ass and Elbow
Default Hiking

Anyone do any hiking? I am on my way up to Tennessee to do about 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Hammock camping. Anyone got any good stories?

Walnut Telecaster build!
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Now here's a good subject! I'm about to retire and the wife and I plan on hiking a lot in the state and national parks. Mostly day hikes, not too much backpacking. She really wants to do a few days on the AT, maybe in the NY and/or NE section. My son does a lot of hammock camping. He and his GF want to hike about 200 miles of the John Muir Trail. They live real close to it. Fitting a two week trip into their schedules is not easy.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
crank

crank Just getting started

I hike.

Haven't done any backpacking in several decades though. Went for a week in Yosemite once in summer of 1981 I think. We got lost and ended up following a river for 3 days. It was so rugged we had to walk in the river some of the time. Tried to hike out of the canyon we were in one day and gave up and came back down. Had to lower our packs and shinny down a tree for 20 or 30 feet to get back to canyon floor. Finally at the end of the third day we came back onto a trail. We were actually outside the park in a national forest at that point, but only about 20 miles from where we left our car.

Same trip, one guy decided to quit smoking. He was the only smoker. Fortunately another guy had brought a pack of cigs which came in handy as the smoker was both irritable and a bit sick. Fun times!
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Anyone do any hiking? I am on my way up to Tennessee to do about 100 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Hammock camping. Anyone got any good stories?
Dammit, that really sounds fun! I'm in good shape for 51 but I'm afraid my body will wear out before I have the time to do stuff like that. I've always dreamed of hiking some distance on the Appalachian trail.

How long do you think it'll take to cover 100 miles?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I like hiking. Most of mine has been more climbing than multi-day hiking. I have a friend (school teacher) who spent a month hiking on the Pacific Coast Trail.

My favorite hike was a short but scenic one. Just a few hours in to Shi Shi Beach on the NW coast of Washington State where there are huge rocks sticking up out of the water and caves on the shoreline at low tide.

I've also done a hike on the Na Pali Coast of Kauai.

I've done some climbing "hikes" in the Appalachian Mts when I went to school in Boone,N.C.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started

Thats awesome! I like the out doors in general. Fishing, hiking, skiing and long distance ice skating over lakes are all favourites.

I can recommend a book for you if you are hiking the appalachian trail. It is the reason I know about it (im from Sweden). It is called A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson. He is a very good travel writer, extremely funny guy. So the book is basically about him and a friend attempting to hike the appalachian trail. He meets a lot of funny/special people.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 03:20 AM   #7
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

I am an avid outdoors man, though I'm getting to old for long hikes anymore. I keep my woods walks down to a single day. I concentrate on my bushcrafting skills more than just covering ground.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #8
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

I used to love hiking then I moved down here. Flat as fuck. Only excitement is the alligators and even those ol dinosaurs get boring.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:03 AM   #9
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiholly View Post
I used to love hiking then I moved down here. Flat as fuck. Only excitement is the alligators and even those ol dinosaurs get boring.
You could hike on out of there.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #10
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I watch the murder shows on TV and now I'm too scared to go hiking.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote