Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 03-04-2017, 03:43 AM   #1
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life
Default DiMarzio Twang King/Chopper Install Help Please

Just got the the Dimarzios, and looking at the wiring diagram, but it's confusing AF right now. I think I have it a bit sorted out, but just checking.

I'm using the "standard wiring" instruction (see link below).

There's 4 wires. Red is hot.

The black and red wires get soldered together, and if I have that shrink tubing stuff, I'll cover the tips in that, or just electrical tape.

Red is soldered to the the hot CIRCUIT. I want to make sure this is right, so I'll ask the noob question: the circuit in question is on the SWITCH, correct?

Anything going to ground, can be soldered to the back of any pot, yes?

Now, here's where I'm confused: the instructions make mention of a BARE wire. WHAT BARE WIRE! I'm looking right at the pup, and there's 4 wires, the instructions say there's 4 wires, but they make mention of a BARE wire. It could be that DiMarzio uses generic instructions for everything, but here's a link to the instructions from their site that's specific to the Chopper T & mirrors exactly what I got in the box.

I haven't looked at the neck pup/instructions yet, but when I get to that, will the hot be soldered to the very same lug on the switch?

Instructions link: http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/defaul...4Conductor.pdf

pic of the specific area of instructions I'm referring to is attached.

I found the instructions to my TV jones with only 2 wires (IIRC), with 3 volume knobs and 2 tone controls easier.

For now, I'll use the 250k pots that's already in the guitar. And I'll visit push pull pots, and alternative wiring in the future. 500k should give me a brighter tone, and Larry DiMarazio suggests that.

Any suggestions/opinions on wiring in series vs. parallel? The way I'm doing it would be in series, but that may give me less highs but "more powerful." I may go parallel, as I'd prefer more highs, but "slightly less powerful." Whatever powerful really means.

I'm just trying to get my ducks in order, and was hoping to get this done tonight. Guess I could just take my telly apart, take pics, and deconstruct things from there.

TIA for any input/suggestions. I don't do this often enough to feel secure about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dimarzio wiring.JPG (63.4 KB, 7 views)

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 AM   #2
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm totally guessing here but IF you have a bare wire, it would be connected to the ground along with the green and probably (the bare wire) provide a jumper to connect the ground between two or more areas in the body. I don't think a bare wire is required. They're just explaining how to connect it of you have one.

I can wire a house but electronics, even simple ones like this, are a whole nuther beast. Maybe someone more knowledgable can chime in.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:36 AM   #3
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Yeah, I'm just gonna ignore the bare wire thing.

I can fool around with simple electronics, and used to build my own PCs. I love my guitar gear. But I pretty much hate the technical end of things on 'em. I don't care how they work, I just want 'em to work. But I get super anal about this shit, because I don't want to have to undo a screwup, as I've done in the past. Nothing like closing up your guitar and getting no sound, then opening it up again, to rewire.

I found an informative vid that explains the bare wire. It's "bare" because it's not sheathed, and is another ground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZslKihHTt5k

Jesus, I've been researching for hours. And I think I'm going parallel for the brighter sound. If I just did things like I normally do- no instructions, just fiddle around- I'd be playing the damn thing already.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I think Kotzen skipped the tone pot. Instead of a tone knob, it is a phase switch or something. Just a thought.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I think Kotzen skipped the tone pot. Instead of a tone knob, it is a phase switch or something. Just a thought.
Yeah, I re-watched a vid of him explaining all that.

I spent yesterday wrapping my head around series vs. parallel wiring, and believe I understand that. I barely understand phase, and don't have the tools to wire things to go in and out of phase anyway, so I'm not going there now.

I just found a diagram of telecaster wiring: http://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/te...ring-diagrams/

Now I have to find my "guitar tools" that I never remember where I've put, to just do the job. The wires on the DiMarzios were confusing, but now I think I understand the reasoning. I like having a tone switch. Like you said, I don't think Kotzen has one. My goal isn't to sound like him. I just wasn't as happy as I know I can be with the stock pups.

I'm going with the series wiring for a beefier tone. I just hope it's not muddy. If I want more treble, instead of rewiring to parallel, I'll just switch to a 500k cap. I'm sounding like a DIY gearhead lol. After this project is over, I'll have forgotten everything.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #6
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

If you want to run full HB for the Chopper T, the black and white get soldered and taped/Heat shrinked together. Red will go to the switch, green will go to any ground source (Usually the back of a pot).

The generic "bare wire " statement is if the pup wiring came with a bare sleeve, so in this case, green is your bare, or ground wire.

The black and white wires are the north/south pole ends of the top and bottom rails. When you join them, they become 2 singles combined.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
If you want to run full HB for the Chopper T, the black and white get soldered and taped/Heat shrinked together. Red will go to the switch, green will go to any ground source (Usually the back of a pot).

The generic "bare wire " statement is if the pup wiring came with a bare sleeve, so in this case, green is your bare, or ground wire.

The black and white wires are the north/south pole ends of the top and bottom rails. When you join them, they become 2 singles combined.
Ah, I learned something. I was wondering why there were 4 wires, and nowhere did I find that info. I may forget this by next week, but I like to understand wtf I'm doing, when I'm doing it.

Your explanation mirrors the "standard series wiring" I posted a jpg attachment to.

I've decided to go series for a beefier tone. I briefly thought about coil splitting, but that would mean a trip to GC. I don't split the buckers on my 339 pro, so I don't see that as an option I'd use often. I'll look into a phase switch at a later time. Ideally, I'll be gloriously happy, and just leave well enough alone. I know you probably would change out the pots for better ones, but I don't want to delay doing more than I have (MASSIVE GOOGLING since last night).

Much appreciated!

Old 03-04-2017, 06:40 PM   #8
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Your'e welcome, Slim . I know it can be quite confusing at times with trying to find the right wiring diagram that fits what you want to do as each manufactures diagrams are going to be different.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
Silimtao
Baaand

I'm doing the swap now. I'll tell ya how it went.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

What a pain in the neck so far! My gun is barely hot enough, and I had to go out for another one from a discount store. And I'm over caffeinated. Good thing my son has study hands and good eyes. the switch plate cavity is really tight. I'm back to look at the bridge diagram to make sure. The neck pup is in.