Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 03-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm excited for the results!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 12:11 AM   #12
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
What a pain in the neck so far! My gun is barely hot enough, and I had to go out for another one from a discount store. And I'm over caffeinated. Good thing my son has study hands and good eyes. the switch plate cavity is really tight. I'm back to look at the bridge diagram to make sure. The neck pup is in.
Let me know how things go. I could send you my # or if you have FB messenger, I could help you along if needed.

Make sure to tin the wires first before soldering them to the posts/pots
Old 03-06-2017, 03:48 AM   #13
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Let me know how things go. I could send you my # or if you have FB messenger, I could help you along if needed.

Make sure to tin the wires first before soldering them to the posts/pots
Thanks Keith. My son actually knows how to solder better than me, but we triple checked soldering, tinned, cleaned, tinned, etc, etc. The guns just weren't generating enough heat.

Loong story, but 'tween myself, and my son, it took 8 hours. The cheapo gun I bought, literally melted in my hands. My old gun, seems to be just dying. I'll tell the rest of the nightmarish story maybe tmmw. But: the job got done.

The pups sound GREAT! The sustain is awesome. The bridge isn't overpowering, and more twangy than I expected, but rolling the tone knob down helps alot.

They're really responsive to pick attack. The neck sounds full (glad I went with series wiring). In the middle selection, it's got a unique tone all it's own. I finished only about an hour ago, and I wanted to run it through my Jet City (some technical probs there, but later for that).

The Jet City is pretty clean, but not Fender clean, so there was already a tad of hair on the tone.

For now, I can say I'm happy I made the choice. The hardest part was working in such a tight area. There was a bare wire too.

There's a mystery ground wire coming out of a side hole from the cavity of the switch plate. Any idea what it is?

In the meantime, I gotta get to bed. It took only an hour to do my Gretsch, and half that to do one of my Strats. I had my vid cam running to document the nightmare, but then I got a "SD card needs formatting" message. I initially recorded the stock pups, and wanted to do a comparison, but that's gone.

Thanks for the offer. Attached is the mystery ground wire. No idea where it leads to, but I reattached it to the pot it got disengaged from.

I'm buying a better soldering iron, and a good wire stripper. I'm gonna check my grounds, as there's more hum than I expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery ground wire.jpg (157 Bytes, 39 views)

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.

Last edited by Silimtao; 03-06-2017 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Image not uploaded? I see a placeholder but no attachement
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:53 AM   #14
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Thank you for sharing slim! I guess I have to start saving up for those pickups too! Or maybe I should go for gfs or artec equivalents.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:55 AM   #15
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I can't view my attachment. Retry.

This is the wire that came out of the side, in the cavity of the switch plate. Where's the other end lead to? Somewhere under the bridge plate? I screwed that plate back on, after mounting the bridge pup.

I'm getting a placeholder again. Not sure if it's because I'm on Chrome?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mystery ground wire.jpg (157 Bytes, 36 views)

Old 03-06-2017, 03:56 AM   #16
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Thank you for sharing slim! I guess I have to start saving up for those pickups too! Or maybe I should go for gfs or artec equivalents.
Sorry I couldn't video it for you. I would have gone GFS myself, but didn't want to gamble this time around. I have a set of GFS I need to throw into a strat.

Can you see my attachment?

Old 03-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #17
littlebadboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Can you see my attachment?
I don't...
Old 03-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #18
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Ditto.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #19
Silimtao
Baaand

Default DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T Review- I love 'em.

Maybe this link will work. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/fnxw0jly9...OiCG7Xy-YG9rMa The pic with a finger holding a white wire is showing the "mystery" ground wire. I don't recall which way I was facing, but I'm guessing it must be the ground from the output jack? I think it's pic #7. These are really just random pics, and some vids

Anyway, I just played plugged straight in to my Jet City, different settings, and it's just what I wanted. The notes are really articulate when chording (as opposed to somewhat "mushy"- not that the stock pups were. There was just something missing for me in the stock pups). I find these pups overall more versatile.

I find them more mid-rangy, which I prefer. I dunno why the neck pup is called "Twang King" as it's really not twangy, especially as compared to my American Telly. I think the neck can cover blues- jazz very well.

The Chopper T can sound really twangy, but not as biting as my American. It definitely could cover chicken-picking twang, but if you roll down the tone, it sounds a lot like a strat with the bridge & middle pups. I was concerned that the rails would give me a mushy sound, but everything is real articulate. I have the bass side of the bridge pup lower than the treble side, as many Telly players do, but intend to raise it to be level with the treble side, as I'm losing a bit of volume that way.

The middle position gives me a nice tone- enough punch from both pups, and blends the warmer neck pup, and brighter bridge pup that give me a tone neither pup alone can give me. I really don't know when in the middle position whether I'm only engaging the neck + one rail, or both rails are engaged (really don't care, TBH).

If I get around to it, I'll give a sound demo, but I suck at giving sound demos.

I have the slightest bit of hum, but I've ordered a better soldering gun, and intend to check all connections. When I put the guitar through my effects (comp, HOF 'verb,
ds-1, Mojo mojo, and Giggity OD) the hum is is horrible. I need to plug in another guitar, to see if it's something in my chain- patch cables? power source?

But it still sounds great when I engage my pedals. I can easily get a "big" sound like Eric Johnson, with my pedals.

Overall, I'm REAL happy. It's really tough to pick to choose pickups based on YT demos, a reviews, but it's lived up to everything I was looking for.

Oh, I would have preferred the black covered Chopper T, but the white covers with the black rails look cool. I'm not looking at the pups when I'm playing.

I still have to play with the pup height, to find my sweet spot, and play through some pedals more, but this may be my #1 right now.

For the price, $149 new for both, it can't be beat. Of course if I could have gotten GFS pups, but I didn't feel like doing the research. I'm still of the opinion that "quality" doesn't have to have a high price tag.

Next mod will be popping in the GFS pups into one of my strats, but I'm sooo undecided 'tween my MiM, which has GFS pups already, and my CV strat that sounds very early Knopfler. The MiM sounds muddy to me, but the CV just makes me hear early Dire straits. Since I've done a strat pups swap, that should be a piece of cake comparatively speaking.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #20
littlebadboy

Thank you for sharing Slim! I think I will go the GFS or Artec way because of financial constraints.

Question though... after your pups swap, do you think it still sounds like a telecaster? Or perhaps an improved telecaster sound?