Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 PM   #21
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Thank you for sharing Slim! I think I will go the GFS or Artec way because of financial constraints.

Question though... after your pups swap, do you think it still sounds like a telecaster? Or perhaps an improved telecaster sound?
It can still sound very twangy, but is that what you really want? Not that a Telly's sound is twangy only. I'd still say it sounds like a telecaster if you adjust the tone the right way, buy I don't think all telecasters sound the same. It's not as trebly, and I find the bottom end is good without being muddy.

Do you think Kotzen's guitar sounds like a telecaster? Or Keith Richards, Springsteen, or Brad Paisley. I'd say Kotzen's guitar sounds LEAST like a typical telecaster sound. I was simply thinking "better tone" than what I have, but not necessarily a "telecaster tone."

The stock pups sound sound telly-ish, just like the DiMarzios sound telly-ish, but like I think about most guitars, with the right gear, they can sound like something we're not used to. I was messing with my pedals, and I'm sure I can get an Eric Johnson tone, or a Santana tone.

But the core sound, with no effects- I really like it. Very articululate, not muddy, and very balanced. I'm still going to play with the pup heights, and when I get my new soldering gun, I'm going over all the wiring. There's a bit of a hum that gets WAY worse, when I engage my compressor.

I'd be interested in what Artec or GFS pups you end up with.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #22
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
It can still sound very twangy, but is that what you really want?

Do you think Kotzen's guitar sounds like a telecaster?
I was not really into telecasters. I've been reading about its versatility and was convinced when I heard Kotzen's. I like that it could be twangy, but could also rock hard. I like the sound of my tele right now coz it sounds like one (to me), but I don't see its versatility.

Do I make sense?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 AM   #23
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
I was not really into telecasters. I've been reading about its versatility and was convinced when I heard Kotzen's. I like that it could be twangy, but could also rock hard. I like the sound of my tele right now coz it sounds like one (to me), but I don't see its versatility.

Do I make sense?
Yeah, you make sense. Many that play tellys swap out the pups, but somehow, they still sound very telly-ish. Sometimes you just don't bond with a guitar. While I love my American telly, I rarely play it because I'm moving away from the ice-pick treble. I thought the stock pups on the CV was missing something, so I went with the DiMarzios. I ran through a bunch of different settings last night, and so far, I'm loving it. Everything is just so articulate. Does it give me every tone I want? No. I have plenty of other guitars that sound good, in a different way. It's was a hard call to spend $150 on pups, but I'm now glad I did.

I ran the CV through some pedals, and it sounds fantastic.

Anyway, I just got a new soldering gun (pen, really), and intend to clean up the soldering, and I may pop the GFS pups into one of my strats this weekend.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #24
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
While I love my American telly, I rarely play it because I'm moving away from the ice-pick treble.
I couldn't stand the Texas Special I originally had in the bridge of my 12 string Tele for the same reason. I think maybe Fender USA is chasing too much of a good thing here.

I like a Tele bridge PU that has some twang & snarl to it (I think the Tele bridge itself and having a metal plate at the bottom of the coil lend to this) but is still balanced without rolling off of the tone knob. The Peter Florance VooDoo TE-50s in my six string Tele is perfect IMO.

While I like that kind of Tele bridge PU sound in and of itself, what I really love about it is because it sounds really distinctive, it lends itself to perhaps greater contrast and more unusual combinations with other pickups. To me, that's where the rap for "versatility" Telecasters have comes from.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:57 PM   #25
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
I couldn't stand the Texas Special I originally had in the bridge of my 12 string Tele for the same reason. I think maybe Fender USA is chasing too much of a good thing here.

I like a Tele bridge PU that has some twang & snarl to it (I think the Tele bridge itself and having a metal plate at the bottom of the coil lend to this) but is still balanced without rolling off of the tone knob. The Peter Florance VooDoo TE-50s in my six string Tele is perfect IMO.

While I like that kind of Tele bridge PU sound in and of itself, what I really love about it is because it sounds really distinctive, it lends itself to perhaps greater contrast and more unusual combinations with other pickups. To me, that's where the rap for "versatility" Telecasters have comes from.
I think Fender knows how to market the hell out of "vintage" sounding shit, and couldn't care less that probably half who buy their guitars will swap the pups, ideally with different Fender pups.

I wasn't looking to mod to have a "Richie Kotzen" telecaster, but I essentially have one. A Kotzen signature Telly goes for around $1400 or more. For about $20 or less, I can get the pots and switch Kotzen uses, and I'd still be well south of $600 in outlay.

The bridge pup most definitely sounds twangy, but not ice picky. It's a mystery to me why they call their neck pup "Twang King" because it's really not twangy. The bridge isn't boomy either, and that's what I want. "Tween both pups, I find it really balanced, and adjusting the tone knob gives me lots of different tones. The middle selection gives me something else, so I'm really happy.

I'm heavily biased towards Fender already. That said, I still believe a telly or strat are incredibly versatile.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #26
Silimtao
Baaand

Default I think I'm wired out of phase

I was going through different settings with the pups yesterday. I noticed that the Chopper T (bridge) sounded thinner, and there was a noticeable volume drop, in comparison to the bridge. I'd guess about a 5 db drop in volume.

So the anal person that I am, I start reading up on phase, and what I described could be a symptom of being out of phase.

More importantly, I see this sticker inside the the label of the Chopper T:

IMPORTANT NOTE

This pickup is in phase with our full size humbuckers, but not with most single coil pickups, nor with our HS series pickups. To be in phase with this type of pickup, make the GREEN wire hot, and the RED wire ground.

I most definitely made RED hot, as described above.

Questions:

Pickups can only be out of phase in relation to another pickup, right? A pickup can't be out of phase to itself right?

If the Chopper T (bridge) is out of phase in relation to the neck (Twang King), the neck is out of phase in relation to the bridge, correct?

To correct this (assuming I am out of phase), I can just switch the RED wire for the GREEN on the Chopper T, making GREEN the hot, and ground the RED (per the instructions on the sticker)- right.

Alternatively, assuming I understand this, couldn't I reverse the hot wire on the neck for the ground (less wires in the neck- total of 3 I think, as opposed to 5, in the bridge).

The goal in correcting out-of-phase wiring is to reverse the polarity(?) of one of the pickups to be in phase, correct?

I originally thought the bridge sounded out of phase because it sounded a bit strat-quacky, by itself, but thought it was just the character of the pickup. This is where I'm confused: if I'm out-of-phase, would the bridge pup sound "odd" when the selector switch is on the bridge pup only? Would having the neck wired to the switch cause the bridge to sound "odd" even if I have the selector switch on the bridge? I thought choosing one pickup via the selector was like turning turning the other one "off," so to speak. This make sense?

I was kind of expecting a slight drop in volume in the bridge, due to my series wiring- I'm not sure at this point why I had this expectation. Possibly after reading about series vs. parallel, but I'm just throwing this in there. Something about being in series, and voltage(?) being even across all pickups, and you lose a bit on the furthest pickup. I could be off the rails here, so ignore this, if it doesn't have anything to do with being out of phase; I'm just explaining my thinking (or lack of it).

I still have the hum problem, and intended to go in to clean up the wiring anyway, but the tone of the bridge was bothering me a little, then I thought about things being out-of-phase. Especially after seeing the notice inside the Chopper T.

Thoughts? I may have rewired by the time anyone may get to this, but this may be helpful to someone else in the future, as well as me. I don't recall any discussion on phase in the the forum. TIA.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #27
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Did you keep your 250k pot?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:03 PM   #28
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Did you keep your 250k pot?
Yes. The reason why I mentioned wanting to get 500k pots someplace was because of the volume issue. After Fill responded, I started thinking about how things sounded, what I could do to fix it, if anything, then "phase" stuck in my head, when I was playing with the bridge.

I'm about to rewire, but gonna look at YT vids to doubly make sure I know what to do when soldering. I'm videoing it, to possibly help others.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:35 PM   #29
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
To correct this (assuming I am out of phase), I can just switch the RED wire for the GREEN on the Chopper T, making GREEN the hot, and ground the RED (per the instructions on the sticker)- right.

Alternatively, assuming I understand this, couldn't I reverse the hot wire on the neck for the ground (less wires in the neck- total of 3 I think, as opposed to 5, in the bridge).

The goal in correcting out-of-phase wiring is to reverse the polarity(?) of one of the pickups to be in phase, correct?
Assuming that one pickup is indeed out of phase with the other, yes.

Quote:
I originally thought the bridge sounded out of phase because it sounded a bit strat-quacky, by itself, but thought it was just the character of the pickup. This is where I'm confused: if I'm out-of-phase, would the bridge pup sound "odd" when the selector switch is on the bridge pup only? Would having the neck wired to the switch cause the bridge to sound "odd" even if I have the selector switch on the bridge? I thought choosing one pickup via the selector was like turning turning the other one "off," so to speak. This make sense?
Considering this, I'd definitely recheck my wiring, look for shorts, cold solder joints, etc.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #30
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
Assuming that one pickup is indeed out of phase with the other, yes.

Considering this, I'd definitely recheck my wiring, look for shorts, cold solder joints, etc.
Man, I'm losing my mind here.

I double-checked everything, reversed the wiring, GREEN is hot, RED is to ground, per DiMarzio's instructions I bolded above.

No sound. There's sound with the switch in the neck position. No sound in the middle, and no sound when switched to the bridge only.

I'm going to desolder the GREEN. Worse that can happen is that my instincts, and the instructions are wrong, and I'm wiring out of phase, right? But getting no sound AT ALL, in my unlearned mind just tells me that GREEN isn't making a good connection, while understanding that it could be something entirely different. That's the most logical thing I can think of.

I didn't fry the volume pot because I'm getting sound from the neck (I'm assuming pots can be damaged with enough heat).

Anyway, that's my thinking for now. Next, would be to check the black/white wires, which are joined together, to make them humbuckers.

I heard the slightest bit of crackle when I touched a screwdriver directly to the green wire.

Oh, do I run the risk of frying myself by being plugged in, and tapping around on the wires? I didn't feel any shocks or anything while tapping around, or even touching some things, but I figured I should ask anyway, lol. But I'm taking a break to clear my head.

Thanks, Ape.