Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #1
HawkHunt

HawkHunt Just getting started
Default Building my Dream Strat: Ice

Part 1: Intro

Custom shop Fender Strats are too expensive!

And so, with the experience i have gained from building a bass guitar, will build my own dream stratocaster as the name suggests. I will be taking a LOT of time to make this guitar, partially because I can only afford to buy a few parts at a time before I have to save up again to buy more, and also it is to give me lots of time to do the best job I possibly can. A third reason is so I can do my research to find the best parts i can afford to put into this thing.

It will be a classic strat layout with 3 Klein Jazzy Cat pickups in it and a 5 way selector. She will have a regular temolo system but locking machine heads to help with tuning stability. The body will be finished in a covering White Nitro Cellulose laquer witha white pickguard and white pickup covers. The neck will be maple with a maple fretboard. She will have fender decals on the headstock for a few reasons that I will get into when I get to that part but it will become clear to you when you hear my reasons.

Due to the colors she will have I have chosen to name her: Ice

I will go into as much detail as I can with the series so that people may learn from my experiences.

This instrument will be the best I can make it and it WILL be awesome!
Part 2: The body will be here shortly.

This is kind of what she will look like in the end:
HawkHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Fantastic!!!!!
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Exciting! One day, I want to try building a guitar too.

For tremolo, you may want to consider the Wilkinson 2 point. I have one on mine and I have nothing but a great time with it. Goes up and down and doesn't get out of tune.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #4
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

Nice!!! enjoy the build...

This is my 1983 made in Japan Squire 70's RI. Looks familiar. Love this guitar it's the best Strat I've ever owned.

classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Oh that is nice
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
HawkHunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrock View Post
Nice!!! enjoy the build...

This is my 1983 made in Japan Squire 70's RI. Looks familiar. Love this guitar it's the best Strat I've ever owned.

That is exactly the style I am going for, there is just something about white strat with a maple board that gets me going. Really nice guitar you have there!
Old 05-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
Germs

Germs Just getting started

Beautiful guitar
Germs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #8
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

I had a white mexican strat years ago always kind of regretted not keeping it. Looked great played great. If i knew then what ji know now i would have upgraded the hardware and had a great guitar .
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

If I were to get another strat, I would get an Olympic white one. Don't know why, but I think they look super cool, especially with a maple fingerboard.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
HawkHunt

Just a quick update! Ive ordered the first big parts of the build and they will be arriving soon! Stay tuned because this is going to be freakin' AWESOME!