Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Old 05-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #11
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Never say never
I was about to post the same thing. I use a capo for two songs. Meanwhile back at mama's and Wonderwall. it's a different sound with a capo.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:57 PM   #12
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Some people think using a capo is cheating but I don't at all. There is an Eagles song I play on acoustic, New Kid In Town and I play it in D with a ton of licks and riffed mixed in, so I can play the song, that's not an issue. But to even try to sing it I need to use a capo and then try to sing and octave lower. So I am actually playing it in E and there is no way I could have access to the riffs and fills that I use if I just played open E chords normally. Not too mention Im using drop D tuning.

I have to admit though that last night I saw the "new" current country star on The Voice sing her current hit and it kind of bugged me that she walked out there with this gigantic Gibson acoustic that was bigger than her and played chords in the key of G with a capo on the 5th fret I think. Unless she was going for a specific sound why not just play in the key of C but I guess that's up to her. I don't think playing guitar is the reason she got to where she is
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #13
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

There are some that use a capo on every song so that they can play G C & D all the time.

My first & only guitar instructor taught me hundreds of songs over a years time, all with the same chords & all with a capo. This is an example of what NOT to do with a capo.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #14
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Some people think using a capo is cheating but I don't at all. There is an Eagles song I play on acoustic, New Kid In Town and I play it in D with a ton of licks and riffed mixed in, so I can play the song, that's not an issue. But to even try to sing it I need to use a capo and then try to sing and octave lower. So I am actually playing it in E and there is no way I could have access to the riffs and fills that I use if I just played open E chords normally. Not too mention Im using drop D tuning.

I have to admit though that last night I saw the "new" current country star on The Voice sing her current hit and it kind of bugged me that she walked out there with this gigantic Gibson acoustic that was bigger than her and played chords in the key of G with a capo on the 5th fret I think. Unless she was going for a specific sound why not just play in the key of C but I guess that's up to her. I don't think playing guitar is the reason she got to where she is
But she was playing in the key of C...the G chord shape with a capo on the 5th fret is C chord.

Now that I'm done being pedantic , that's part of the confusion that comes along with using a capo...differentiating the chord shape used from the sound of the chord being played.

Using a capo that high up the fretboard, I suspect she was going for a particular sound.

Now that we are having our periodic capo discussion, we must be due for the tonewood discussion sometime soon
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:36 PM   #15
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I had this nightmare once:

I had to downtune the guitar 1/2 tone, add a capo at the 3rd fret and then name the chord and notes from a C shape starting on the 5th fret.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:55 PM   #16
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I had this nightmare once:

I had to downtune the guitar 1/2 tone, add a capo at the 3rd fret and then name the chord and notes from a C shape starting on the 5th fret.
Your teacher had you do that?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #17
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
But she was playing in the key of C...the G chord shape with a capo on the 5th fret is C chord.

Now that I'm done being pedantic , that's part of the confusion that comes along with using a capo...differentiating the chord shape used from the sound of the chord being played.

Using a capo that high up the fretboard, I suspect she was going for a particular sound.

Now that we are having our periodic capo discussion, we must be due for the tonewood discussion sometime soon
Hehe, precisely. One particular song I wrote does exactly this, as I want the chimey voicing I get at that position on the neck. If I play that tune with other guitar players, they are usually in the open position to give it a broader sound. When I write my lead sheets, I always write them in the actual key so they are useful to people other than guitar players.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #18
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Am I the only one that had to look up Pedantic ? LOL

Ped meaning foot & antic meaning grotesque.....Squid, you better have a doctor look at that foot !!!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #19
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
Hehe, precisely. One particular song I wrote does exactly this, as I want the chimey voicing I get at that position on the neck. If I play that tune with other guitar players, they are usually in the open position to give it a broader sound. When I write my lead sheets, I always write them in the actual key so they are useful to people other than guitar players.
For church music, I've seen the chords written on the lead sheets with alternate chord shapes (forms) noted above them in parenthesis. At the top of the lead sheet it indicates what fret the capo goes on for the alternate chord forms.

I'll use red pen to write chord forms with a capo when it's not provided. You don't want to lose the names of the actual chords.

It gets tricky when you tell the piano player what chord you are playing at a certain spot...he knows not of this capo thing...you have to tell him the actual chord you are sounding out.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Am I the only one that had to look up Pedantic ? LOL
Me too! LOL!
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote