Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 10-14-2017, 06:25 PM   #11
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

We used to have a desoldering pen, it's a real thing. But what it is, is a soldering pen that's hollow with a built in electric vacuum sucker, works really cool. Solder wick is good, a solder sucker clears the holes out better on circuit boards though.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
That lens thingy is something I should have! With my bad old eyes,and I was just guessing where I stick my tip at and where my solder is touching. And, why didn't anyone tell me there's plastic shrink wraps?!! I hate wrapping my tiny unshielded ground wires with electrical tape!
Yes, you must get some shrink tube then, it's awesome. Just slide it up the wire far enough that when you solder, it doesn't get hot and start shinking where you don't want it to be.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:36 PM   #13
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Another thing about the Helping Hands- the magnifying glass creates a barrier to protect your eyes. I have goggles, but it's like being in water.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Desolder pen? You talking about the solder sucker? Only so-so. It's decent for desoldering. The solder wick may work better, but I haven't tried it yet. I made a hot mess when I did the pups on my CV with a cheap iron.
Yeah solder sucker brings to many jokes to my mind haha.

Ive heard of the soler wicks aswell will check that out.

Im looking at a mid priced iron. I think you get what you pay for with most things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Another thing about the Helping Hands- the magnifying glass creates a barrier to protect your eyes. I have goggles, but it's like being in water.
Good stuff.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #15
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

I have an old Weller iron with a trigger that was my dads at one time. It heats up fast and you don't have to remember to unplug it to turn it off. It also heats up the pots chassis quick enough to allow a good solder joint without overheating and melting the insides.

+ 1 about the helping hand thing.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #16
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I have a 40w variable heat soldering station, and the soldering iron has a chisel-point iron tip. The iron tip doesn't corrode as fast as a copper tip. I keep a bottle of Baker's Fluid (zinc chloride) for tip cleaning and heavy duty flux jobs, but it isn't good for electronics flux because the fumes (HCl) are corrosive.

A de-soldering pen is also handy.

I have a couple of bigger irons, but I don't need to use them very often.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:21 AM   #17
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I use a soldering iron for everything. If you use a soldering gun on a circuit that has integrated circuits or sensitive transistors, the high Inductance can wipe them out. Things like active pickups use OpAmps and they can blow out. I love soldering guns because you squeeze the trigger and 3 seconds later, you're finished. I don't use them because I'm certain I would blow out some chips.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:40 AM   #18
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

I've used soldering irons to melt my broken Frisbee back together, how about tha one? lol
Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #19
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z. Wolf View Post
I have an old Weller iron with a trigger that was my dads at one time. It heats up fast and you don't have to remember to unplug it to turn it off. It also heats up the pots chassis quick enough to allow a good solder joint without overheating and melting the insides.

+ 1 about the helping hand thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I have a 40w variable heat soldering station, and the soldering iron has a chisel-point iron tip. The iron tip doesn't corrode as fast as a copper tip. I keep a bottle of Baker's Fluid (zinc chloride) for tip cleaning and heavy duty flux jobs, but it isn't good for electronics flux because the fumes (HCl) are corrosive.

A de-soldering pen is also handy.

I have a couple of bigger irons, but I don't need to use them very often.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I use a soldering iron for everything. If you use a soldering gun on a circuit that has integrated circuits or sensitive transistors, the high Inductance can wipe them out. Things like active pickups use OpAmps and they can blow out. I love soldering guns because you squeeze the trigger and 3 seconds later, you're finished. I don't use them because I'm certain I would blow out some chips.
Thanks for the input fellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
I've used soldering irons to melt my broken Frisbee back together, how about tha one? lol
You want to get on the disc golf circuit.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #20
hippychip
Banned

hippychip Just getting started

If you plan to do the job properly a minimum of 60 watts is required---I am a certified ET (electronics tech), and I assure you that grampa's gun, or the cheap radio shack irons are not going to give you the results that you need! Good connections are essential for good signal transmission---those fancy new pups won't sound good if you don't solder them in right! A solder sucker, and solder wick are both valuable! Cheap tools can get the job done, but the right tools will get the job done right!
hippychip is offline   Reply With Quote