Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 12-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Phill

Phill Just getting started
Default Partial Chords

Hi Guys! Thanks for having me. I love this site but I've only been playing for a year and I have a question that maybe I could get some help with. There is a guitarist on YouTube playing the partial chords to Arthur Alexander's remake of "You Better Move On" by The Rolling Stones. He's using a Gibson Firebird and is playing Keith Richards part over Brian Jones' acoustic chords. You can hear the song playing in the background. Could someone help me in deciphering the fingering he is using to play these partial chord "stabs"? It's not a long song and is very repetitious. I tried watching closely but can't figure out what notes he is playing or how many strings he is using. I would like to get this song down pat so at least I'll have 1 playable song under my belt. I think the song is in the key of E Major. Thank You very much for the help.
DocAnthony
Phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

If you can copy & paste the YouTube link, it would help. I dont want to give you wrong advice, cause I saw plenty of bands covering that song, but I didnt see one with someone playing a Firebird.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #3
Phill

Default Partial Chords

St. Fill, I couldn't send you the link because I haven't made 15 or more posts but the guitarists name is Helge Nicholson and his video is 2:02 minutes long. He playing a tobacco burst firebird. You help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Doc
Old 12-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #4
Phill

youtube.com/watch?v=Kso85WvX57U
Old 12-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

It would help you a lot to do homework on this. I will get you started. First chord is a E chord but played using a D shape on the 4th fret. This is where basic theory helps as you move a D shape from the 2nd fret to the 4th and the D chord now becomes a E chord but it's still a D shape.

The second chord is a B chord and that is a F shape being played on the 7th fret But only playing what looks to be the first 4 strings.

Find the tab and then as the chords change, try to figure out the shapes being used. If you know how the major scale moves it would be helpful.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:29 AM   #6
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill View Post
St. Fill, I couldn't send you the link because I haven't made 15 or more posts...
Just FYI, you can post YouTube vids. Here's how:

Click the YouTube button at the top of the "Post Reply" page. You'll get two sets of brackets, both will say YouTube in them written between the brackets.

Put your YouTube link in the middle of those two boxes, between the inner brackets.

Erase everything in the link to the left of the = sign in the link, including the = sign, so the link you posted ( youtube.com/watch?v=Kso85WvX57U ) now looks like this between the YouTube boxes: Kso85WvX57U.

This is what you'll get when you click "Submit Reply:

Ill check it out and see if I can figure out the answer to your original question.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #7
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I know this is obvious, but you also don't have to play it exactly like he is playing it. You can use barre chords in the 5th and 7th fret areas and it flows smoothly. You also don't have to strum every string and therefore you can be a bit lax with some of the fingering.

Not everyone wants to play with their thumb coming over the neck as he is doing. Hendrix used it to great avail but not everyone does.

The chords are E , B, B7, E, E7, A, Am, E, B, E.

Knowing that you can probably figure out triads that match what he is playing in the video.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:43 AM   #8
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
You also don't have to strum every string and therefore you can be a bit lax with some of the fingering.
My 2 cents, this is good advice. A lot of playing chords is about targeting the notes you want to keep and silencing the ones you want to leave out.

You have set of chords in a song and you play those chords, but it's up to you to interpret (get a feel for them in the song and the moment and make them your own).

It takes time to get that feel, but the more you play the more apparent it becomes to you.

Again, just my 2 cents .
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Just a trick I learned along the way is to make a standard barre chord at any position, but arch the pointer finger over to the bass string instead of barring all strings, keep the other three notes of the chord pressed as usual and let the open strings ring. Works to make a very nice sounding "partial chord" at almost all fret positions. Some WILL sound sour, so you learn that those don't work, but when it does, it's nice sounding.