Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #71
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boston View Post
That's because she wasn't really a virgin. Duh!!!
That's a little like the witches. Accuse someone of being a witch. Throw them in water. Witches float. If they drown, woops!
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #72
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

I think we must be careful and avoid religious prejudice. Reason poses no threat to religion when reason and religion are authentically understood.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #73
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
A kid can talk about anything he wants to at school or elsewhere.

Evolution is science. This concept that if you can't see it, it must be something to be taken on faith, like religion, is just something that Christian apologists come up with keep their flock in line since it's not convincing as an argument to anyone else.

Evolution, the Big Bang, and Quantum Physics are about as close to "facts" as you can get in science given the number of confirming tests that have been done and confirmed over the years.

You can't see electrons. Are they just a "belief"? No one was around to see the dinosaurs. We have evidence but we have evidence of evolution as well. If you don't understand evolution that still doesn't mean it's only a "belief".

Also, "belief" isn't about the "unseen". Again, that must be an apologists attempt to equate science and belief.

A belief is something for which there is no evidence. Were there evidence it wouldn't require belief.

Science is based on evidence.
some is 'best guess' from evidence seen....
Evolution is a theory, a belief...
Old 01-12-2018, 01:25 AM   #74
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Quote:
Regarding haunted houses...

Pictures swing, people overlook hair brushes, people hear unexplained sounds, dogs freak out easily enough.

If I heard a music box playing and coming from the attic, I'd go up in the attic and find that once I got up there it didn't sound like a music box anymore, or it was a music box or the wind blowing though a crack actually did sound like a music box.

If I was looking for something, looked on the table, didn't see it, looked around the house and didn't find it and later saw it was on the table all along...I wouldn't move and I wouldn't think the most likely explanation was supernatural.

People who believe in this stuff find it all the time. People used to not understand that the weather varied and would therefore sacrifice a virgin to the crop gods and the next year the weather might be a little better (or not).
No, no no...I didn't and don't believe in 'this stuff' (ghosts etc.) if you experienced what I did, you'd change your tune on this, it was something unexplainable, what I don't know, as it does not fit what most know or believe.
Dogs freak out... ok, lol that's what I described. Wasn't a dog freaking out.
People do that, they make light or alter things like this. If it doesn't fit their beliefs, then 'it must have been something else', or, 'well maybe it was...' nope!
no, no, no
read what I wrote, it was as written.
It wasnt' a dog 'freaking out' it wasn't wind, ..........the hair brush had no legs.
oh boy... but people who are trapped in a box of thinking the universe is pure physical, MUST do this to make their box 'work'. Oh well, no worries! It's no skin off my nose if you don't believe it was as it was, you'll see one day!! remember this!! heh heh
it wasn't wind, absolute discernible melody.

Last edited by ronpfid; 01-12-2018 at 01:58 AM.
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:45 AM   #75
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
some is 'best guess' from evidence seen....
Evolution is a theory, a belief...
Every "fact" in science is a theory. Theory (in science) isn't used as we use it colloquially. We use "theory" in our everyday life to mean what in science is called a hypothesis. That's just a guess until evidence and predictions bare it out. After 100 years of that kind of thing going on then it makes it to a "theory".

Gravity is a "theory". Proof is only for some mathematics. Everywhere else "theory" is as good as it gets.

In every day language, "I have a theory about Big Foot" is just an unsupported hypothesis.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:49 AM   #76
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Quote:
Every "fact" in science is a theory. Theory (in science) isn't used as we use it colloquially. We use "theory" in our everyday life to mean what in science is called a hypothesis. That's just a guess until evidence and predictions bare it out. After 100 years of that kind of thing going on then it makes it to a "theory".

Gravity is a "theory". Proof is only for some mathematics. Everywhere else "theory" is as good as it gets.

In every day language, "I have a theory about Big Foot" is just an unsupported hypothesis.
that sounds accurate.
I guess, if we want to get into the existential stuff, almost everything is purely observation and impossible to prove.

Oh well, we all have our thoughts, beliefs, etc. As long as we all agree, guitar players are the best of the musicians, all is good eh?
Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #77
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Since we're all philosophical now and questioning reality and perception. Here's an oldie but a goodie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave
Old 01-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #78
Tacman7
Lazy Dog

Tacman7 Just getting started

I go to the Buddhist temple in Hacienda Heights, quite a place.

You can go in and walk around and see all the beautiful scenery and art works, have vegetarian lunch.

Very welcoming and friendly atmosphere. They accept everyone as they are and don't try and change anyone.

Their are some forms where atheism is part of the belief.

----------

When an invading army conquers a people that don't throw out their religion, they modify it.

Your belief is almost right, your god is in our religion, we call him Devil.

------

ok, now I'm ramblin, guess I started out that way.

sorry.