Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 01:54 AM   #91
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
Is this anything like the other extreme of holy rollers taking every opportunity to tell you you'd better read the bible or be damned....

I'm not religious in the least but get offended when someone makes for of someone that is religious just as I stick up for a nonbeliever when a bible thumper drives his point home.
right, no one should PUSH their views on anyone, or give crap, belittle, make light, etc. of anothers beliefs. People can and should share their ideas, in case it might enlighten another, (either side), let them decide.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:10 AM   #92
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

We know very little about the universe yet. Nothing is ever what it seems. What Is the nature of reality. Is there extra dimensions.is there extra dimensional life. 4th dimensional life. A universe inside a universe. We may never see everything the way a fish could never see more than the surrounding area of its pond. If it is a universe inside a universe we will never know the true nature of existence the way the fish can not. Religion may not be wrong. But it is too simplistic, and based around the world on a lot of myths. No mention in the bible of dinosaur fossil. About ET life ? All religions can not be right. either one is right or they are all wrong. Because each religion says this is the correct story. But the stories are not the same. Why create the universe for just the earth to have life it makes no sense. We could all be part of a advanced computer program. We could all be in a game. Wonder how much power it would take to convince game characters that they really exist, pain love ect We can not even be sure we a are real in the sense that we think we are we know nothing lol. Trying to guess is almost a waste of time. I wonder if ET knows the answer. Maybe they would say. we don't know either, maybe there are certain things even technologically advanced races haven't figured out. Out of the eternity of time. I am writing this right now. Do you realize out of infinite Time. The chances I would be alive right now Is almost zero. yet here I am writing. But not for long soon we will all be gone in 100 years time this forum will have a different set of characters debating the same stuff. My hope is with advanced beings telling us what the hell is going on. But don't bank on it. Btw good knowing you all while we existed, for this short period in time

Last edited by old geezer; 01-12-2018 at 12:07 PM.
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:40 AM   #93
old geezer

Hey if we are all advanced game characters we should all give our guitars away, throw a spanner in the advanced computer program works. Lol I am mad but not that mad.
Actually I think there is many indicators that we are not all simulations. But if we are biological creatures. Ill wager there are many others. Don't suffer from the delusions of grandeur. That so many on this planet suffer from. And there really is a lot. I see it everywhere. But others can think out of the box. Its those that likely have the answer. They just don't know which one it is.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #94
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Reminds me of Horton

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #95
Sojourner66

Sojourner66 Just getting started

Tim Hawkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4syLS3-fdA

Last edited by Sojourner66; 01-13-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Sojourner66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #96
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
Here's my take. I want there to be some benign intelligence that makes the universe fair and cares about us. Instead of just dying, I want there to be some utopian afterlife where life is great and I can see dead relatives and friends again. Or maybe just a transition to some other state of being. It's a beautiful idea. If I get to choose, I probably don't want all the fires of hell and damnation type afterlife, tho.

I want this stuff to be true but I have zero evidence that there is anything other than the universe as we know it from science. I can't prove anything one way or another. I like to see evidence and repeatability before I get fully onboard with an idea.
You know there are scientific theories that there is a transcending order to things. It is kind of on the wacky out there side, but there are literally scientists right now trying to figure out how complex systems actually have a rhyme and reason. I'm still on the fence about making bioinformatics my concentration at university, so I read about this type of thing foh fun.

"At Home in the Universe" is an interesting book in this area, partly because it was published in both a scientific version (including lots of math), or the non-scientific version. It isn't a targeted review of the cutting-edge of science, but it's an exploration of collecting new data about how we're put together and coming to conclusions that don't fully fit within existing evolutionary models. It explains the science and the thought and attempts to philosophise about the implications. Its a book that I wish more friends would read. I read the the less scientific version:
http://www.amazon.com/At-Home-Univer.../dp/0195111303

A non-sciency quote from it:

“If biologists have ignored self-organization, it is not because self-ordering is not pervasive and profound. It is because we biologists have yet to understand how to think about systems governed simultaneously by two sources of order, Yet who seeing the snowflake, who seeing simple lipid molecules cast adrift in water forming themselves into cell-like hollow lipid vesicles, who seeing the potential for the crystallization of life in swarms of reacting molecules, who seeing the stunning order for free in networks linking tens upon tens of thousands of variables, can fail to entertain a central thought: if ever we are to attain a final theory in biology, we will surely, surely have to understand the commingling of self-organization and selection. We will have to see that we are the natural expressions of a deeper order. Ultimately, we will discover in our creation myth that we are expected after all.”

I think the overall dialogue about science is disappointing. People often claim to have a higher understanding than they actually do, myself included.
Old 01-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #97
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Actually I think there is many indicators that we are not all simulations.
That's exactly what your programmer wants you to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiholly View Post
Thanks, Hols; I just had a sample sent to my kindle.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #98
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post

Old 01-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #99
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:

Ditto! It's certainly piqued my interest.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #100
old geezer

Quote:

lol you can never win with that argument, The only way to beat that argument is to kill yourself while happy