Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Their customers didn't complain and our customers(most of them) didn't even know it was there.
Isn't it that what you don't know should scare you most? I don't want to inhale human remains!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

I wouldn't be super pumped to live next to one, but it probably wouldn't bother me a ton either, unless the smoke was blocking out the sun or really stunk or something.

As far as environmental impact & morbidity go, you can't really have your cake and eat it too. If you're mindful of one of those factors, you're going to have to slacken up on the other; there are only so many things you can do with a dead body. If I recall correctly, burning a body is easier on the environment than burying it, because embalming fluids are pretty awful (and I imagine even the effect of digging a big hole in the earth and sticking a box made of finished wood into it is also not the greatest thing in the long run). On the other hand, you could just dump the body somewhere and let nature take its course, which is very environmentally friendly...but also way grosser than a crematorium or cemetery next door.

ETA: Oh yeah, also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy
I don't want to inhale human remains!
Is it really any different than walking past a barbecue and taking a whiff?

What about farts—you ever get blasted right up close? That might have been shit going up your nose.

Last edited by spacedog; 01-10-2018 at 11:38 PM.
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 PM   #13
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

If it smells like a burger joint..HELL YEAH!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #14
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I don't have any problem with you living next to a crematorium.

If you already live in a neighborhood that is zoned to allow for such things, I don't see the problem.

If I lived in a residential neighborhood and someone wanted to change the zoning code to allow for it I'd have a problem just because of what it would do for local property values.

You are breathing in carbon, if anything. It's no different than breathing in the carbon from every house on your block when they have their heat on.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:55 AM   #15
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedog View Post
I wouldn't be super pumped to live next to one, but it probably wouldn't bother me a ton either, unless the smoke was blocking out the sun or really stunk or something.

As far as environmental impact & morbidity go, you can't really have your cake and eat it too. If you're mindful of one of those factors, you're going to have to slacken up on the other; there are only so many things you can do with a dead body. If I recall correctly, burning a body is easier on the environment than burying it, because embalming fluids are pretty awful (and I imagine even the effect of digging a big hole in the earth and sticking a box made of finished wood into it is also not the greatest thing in the long run). On the other hand, you could just dump the body somewhere and let nature take its course, which is very environmentally friendly...but also way grosser than a crematorium or cemetery next door.

ETA: Oh yeah, also...

Is it really any different than walking past a barbecue and taking a whiff?

What about farts—you ever get blasted right up close? That might have been shit going up your nose.
ewww BBQ, people BBQ, smelling that? Like ewww again man! LOL
Old 01-11-2018, 04:16 AM   #16
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
ewww BBQ, people BBQ, smelling that? Like ewww again man! LOL
That is exactly why I am opposing.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:49 AM   #17
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

It wouldn't bother me but I wouldn't go to a open house BBQ.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #18
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

I worked right across the street from one for 5 years in downtown Arlington. Honestly...it was fine. I'm not sure how they do it, but there were not billows of smoke coming out (you could see the heat exhaust though) when they fired it up, nor was there a sign saying "get your remains burned here" or anything like that. It was quite respectful looking and literally also across the street from the public library...never had a problem with them either.

That said, I support you. I would oppose this and almost anything built in my neighborhood.

Last edited by Big John; 01-11-2018 at 06:58 AM.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #19
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Are you down wind or up wind of it?
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 AM   #20
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
That is exactly why I am opposing.
Yes, it doesn't matter what your 'reasons' are, no one can tell you which are valid or not. If it smells bad, creeps you out or what ever, you have the right to 'not like it'.

I wouldn't want to smell it for sure, I wouldn't want to see bodies being delivered either. The whole thing would creep me out and that's that. If someone thinks that's not a good reason, too bad!