Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 05-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #1
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies
Default Pre-existing conditions

I bet there are very few forum members that do not have a pre-existing condition. Not only does health insurance coverage hinge on this frequently, but jobs & others things do as well.

Sorry, you did not get the job, not because you are (black/white/asian/hispanic) but because you have Diabetes & your A1C is 10%.

Both my parents have high blood pressure. I am not fat, I exercise regularly, I eat healthy, my cholesterol is low, etc. In other words, I have done everything in my power to avoid high blood pressure & got it anyway. I was genetically predisposed.

Whether we have Obamacare, Trumpcare, or Nocare, my question is......

Should people with pre-existing conditions be discriminated against?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:01 AM   #2
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

No. Maybe.

As long as a condition does not hinder their ability to the job, it shouldn't be a consideration. Nothing should.

Best qualified, most experience, etc.

Except for the asshole factor. They have to be able to work with their peers as well as those above/below in the food chain.

I understand how it happens though. A lot of companies self-insure, paying ins companies to administer their plans. In those cases, medical conditions & risk factors represent real, direct cost to employ.

So, if you were hiring to fill a position and had a choice between otherwise equally qualified candidates, would you choose the higher cost employee?

I'm not saying it's right.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 04:13 AM   #3
Dirt

Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
I bet there are very few forum members that do not have a pre-existing condition. Not only does health insurance coverage hinge on this frequently, but jobs & others things do as well.

Your story is yet another reason why healthcare shouldn't be tied to one's employment.

We have public schools for all, public roads for all, public police and fire protection for all, public military protection for all, a public judicial system for all, and many other public institutions............ BUT, we don't have a public healthcare system for all......wtf
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:16 AM   #4
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
To obtain health insurance? No. Of course, if you have no arms, you shouldn't be hired to drive a truck- in general (I saw a video of a woman born with no arms, and she drives, cooks, etc, etc).

Some right-wingers would consider your being a woman is a pre-existing condition.

Men don't have to pay tax for condoms, but women pay taxes for menstrual pads/tampons. Not to mention, in the exercise of their religion, private Christian institutions are allowed to deny coverage for birth control. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0ac4d2dd1cfd

Tangentially related, but many red states have made abortion laws so stringent, there's fewer and fewer abortion clinics in red states. Kentucky may not have any at all soon. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/02/u...inic.html?_r=0

And Kim Davis, the almighty Christian who denied a gay couples marriage licenses. She tried to hide behind her religion, (what's this about Sharia law taking over again?). The courts gave the couple the go ahead to sue her dumbass for damages. If I worked at MickyD's and refused to serve a burger because I'm Hindu, I should be fired, because that's what I was hired to do. Kim is making good money (for her state), and isn't executing her duties, period. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...s-court-ruling

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.

Last edited by Keith; 05-06-2017 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Leave out the insults
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

IMHO, a company should hire the most qualified person that can physically fill the job requirements.

...and now for the trigger,

Health insurance for pre-existing conditions by definition is not insurance, it is welfare.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Dirt

Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith357 View Post
...and now for the trigger,

Health insurance for pre-existing conditions by definition is not insurance, it is welfare.
Here's another "trigger"

Guntards should be denied health insurance because they are at risk of accidentally shooting themselves or a family member.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Mikej2

Mikej2 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Here's another "trigger"

Guntards should be denied health insurance because they are at risk of accidentally shooting themselves or a family member.
Where do you draw the line? Should people who drink alcohol be denied because they are at risk for drunk driving and liver disease, and should they also be held accountable for any medical costs of anyone the drunk driver drives into while driving drunk?

And, actually, well, never mind, this is a guitar forum so I'll leave this as it is.
Mikej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

If we all didn't have pre-exisiting conditions or post-existing conditions or just plain conditions we wouldn't need health insurance. The whole thing is just ridiculous, you can have the insurance just don't get sick or try to use it!

Oh & get this. The job offer I had based on my nicotine drug test, they do not hire anyone with nicotine in their system, zero tolerance, employees that use nicotine cost to much to health insure etc. They have a smoking area for their employees. One of my fellow orientees is a smoker & found this place the first day of orientation & uses it frequently.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

There's a huge distinction that must be made here. My wife is an epileptic and we have dealt with pre-existing condition issues for years. For a while we could not get health insurance at all. Something like that should by all means be covered. The thing that makes pre-existing conditions untenable for insurance companies is the young guy who hasn't paid for any insurance for years falls off of his roof being stupid and stops on the way to the hospital to get insurance, then drops it once he's healed. There needs to be some sort of line drawn somewhere. What is a pre-existing condition? That needs to be clearly defined before any meaningful debate. As it is now there is no distinction. The person with hereditary high blood pressure and the person who got drunk and fell down a flight of stairs are both considered pre-existing conditions when they apply for insurance.
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started

In my opinion this seems crazy, but I do understand it from the companies perspective...

You definately need to have a very clear definition of what a pre- existing condition is. Does bad eye sight count ? It should for being a pilot, but not for a regular office worker. Depression? High blood pressure ? Diabetes? Overweight? Seems pretty crazy to me to be able to employ someone who doesnt have one of these rather then someone who does have high blood pressure or diabetes.

I know for sure that you cant do this in Sweden. Free health care makes sure we dont have to have this discussion. At the cost of high taxes.
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote