Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Jam Clinic

Old 03-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #11
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Hmmm, yeah that's pretty much the process I follow. I learned the hard way that whether or not you plan on going through those steps, you go through those steps. For instance, for me to be able to learn a solo, I need to be able to hear it in my head and know what it is supposed to sound like.

I wish I had an hour a day to play...perhaps that's my problem. I'm lucky if I can get an hour a week. Often the time I get I'm tired and worn out from the day.

I think it is just the way it is for me. I'll use YYZ as an example...I memorized that long ago minus the solo. I just for the life of me cannot play it consistently, and that's along with some liberties to make it a little easier. The main riff in Life in the Fast Lane is the same. The common theme here is hitting notes on adjacent strings quickly. My picking feels awkward too. When things get to a certain speed, my coordination just falls apart.

Ah, anyway, interesting to hear that you learn them quickly to record and then lose them. I'm sure if you know it once you can "relearn" it again quickly.

Thanks for your insight...appreciate it!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:40 PM   #12
Mouse

Mouse Just getting started Mouse Just getting started

Joe Walsh described the Fast Lane riff as patting yourself on the head and rubbing your belly at the same time. I don't know if that analogy really fits but it IS a tricky little riff that does have those quick strikes of the 7th fret A-D-A strings. For stuff like that, I just have to start slow. If I can't play it 20x in a row at a slow speed, I'll never be able to do it quickly.

If it makes you feel better, I've started and stopped YYZ many times over the years. It's been on my list forever to try again.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:11 AM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BallisticSquid Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Joe Walsh described the Fast Lane riff as patting yourself on the head and rubbing your belly at the same time. I don't know if that analogy really fits but it IS a tricky little riff that does have those quick strikes of the 7th fret A-D-A strings. For stuff like that, I just have to start slow. If I can't play it 20x in a row at a slow speed, I'll never be able to do it quickly.

If it makes you feel better, I've started and stopped YYZ many times over the years. It's been on my list forever to try again.
That is reassuring actually. I fooled around with Life in the Fast Lane tonight and I think I just need to practice it for consistency...I was close.

I decided to mess with other stuff I've been practicing forever and it resulted in some interesting stuff...posted in another thread.

I think I just need to find time to play more .
Old 03-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
Mouse

Mouse Just getting started Mouse Just getting started

Yeah I have no doubt you'll nail it with a bit of practice.

Yeah, time is always that limiting factor. Early mornings are always best for me as I've got less distractions trying to get my attention (cough cough Wife cough cough)
Old 05-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #15
Germs

Germs Just getting started

Verrry Nicce
Germs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #16
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Old 05-15-2017, 07:18 PM   #17
BallisticSquid

Abs, you must have developed a hell of an ear playing all these years. For a guy that doesn't play jazz, you totally got the vibe of this as you went on. Some very Al DiMeola like moments in there.

Cool stuff!!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #18
Abo

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Incredibly I got home on time today from work and had a few minutes to knock out a take. I've somehow got an urge for tapas!

If I had known you had used that approach I would not have posted up . As soon as I saw your guitar I thought I'm looking like a copycat jammer lol I had no idea.
Class stuff mouse nice jazzy sound you had from that too good man
Old 05-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #19
Abo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Abs, you must have developed a hell of an ear playing all these years. For a guy that doesn't play jazz, you totally got the vibe of this as you went on. Some very Al DiMeola like moments in there.

Cool stuff!!
Thanks bud I don't know any DiMeola stuff but I shall take that as a big compliment bud cheers .
Old 05-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #20
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
Thanks bud I don't know any DiMeola stuff but I shall take that as a big compliment bud cheers .
Yes, a big complement.

DiMeola is in the middle. All three of these guys are amazing.