Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Tales from the road

Old 04-14-2017, 01:19 AM   #1
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow
Default The show must go on!!

This last weekend was the event we look forward to the most every year, the Hawaii Scottish Festival and Highland Games.

We left for Oahu on Friday, (30 minute flight from the BI), and had just about everything go wrong that could. Traffic was unnaturally horrific, so we got to the airport later than we'd wanted, but still an hour early. Baggage was a nightmare, and the lady manning the baggage area was new and had to scratch her head over every single bag, including the flight case for my pedal board, guitar, etc.. Once we were past her, the folks at the baggage check put us through the same paces because the other girl was new... We *almost* missed our flight.

So, we get to Oahu and I'm waiting at the gate check for my guitar and the dude looks at me and asks what I want. I tell him I'm waiting for my gate-checked guitar. He says, "What guitar?"... After some frantic searching, he comes back in the gate with it and tells us they were 'taking it someplace'. Nice.

We get to the event and start to sound check, and guess what? The airline has dropped my board so frigging hard that one of the XLR ground pins on my VoiceLive3 broke off and fell onto the circuit board, frying it the moment I turned it on. Naturally, they don't cover that kind of damage, but they're happy to give me 1000 airline miles!

I quickly rerouted everything on my board and got through our sound check... Fortunately, Tannie Music is absolutely wonderful.. definitely the best sound engineers I've ever worked with. I was thrilled to see them there again this year.
I was determined not to let the day's events ruin that evening's set. Through sheer determination, we played a great set. Saturday and Sunday were good, too.

We had some excellent feedback on our sets, almost completely sold out our merch table (I had to re-order T-shirts and CD's), and overall had a killer experience. I love this event the most, and I hope beyond hope that we're invited back again next year.

We flew back to the Big Island on Monday, and once again, when I got to the gate-check... "What guitar?"
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:30 AM   #2
shredd
Lifeson wannabe

shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking shredd The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

At least you didn't fly United:

"Time is the fire in which we burn..." - Soren
"Never in the course of human conflict have so many owed so much to so few." - Winston Churchill
shredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
At least you didn't fly United:

Ouch! There is a reason I don't take my favorite guitars.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Glad you had a great gig. I feel your pain re lost gear,
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #5
Big John

Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
The show must go on!!
Great job, Harry!

Glad to hear ya'll persevered and hope you land a return date for next year. Sounds like a blast!
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 PM   #6
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Seems like it must have been difficult to keep a positive attitude through that experience...wow! Glad you had a successful show despite all of the adversity you had to deal with!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:26 PM   #7
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Don't let the Man get you down! Glad it worked out okay and sounds like the gig was great eventually.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #8
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

What many don't realize and Harry doesn't mention is that HNL and the entire Hawaiian airport system and personnel are just completely outdated, are dumps, and the folks can barely comprehend English in any fashion that isn't pidgen in most cases.

A bigger case of "I don't give a shit" cannot be found due to their unions, completely incompetent management and reliance on Tourists to pull the $$$ load. If there was no tourism, these airports wouldn't be considered more than rural airfields, and that is being nice. They are also getting ready to take a hit from a family suing them for a SECURITY GUARD shooting their dog after a flight from the BI to Oahu...
Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #10
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Default Island Style/Hawaiian Style - Love it & Hate It

Seems like things don't change in Hawaii or any airport for that matter these days with the situation being total $hit since 911 and the paranoia it's created .

Sorry about your VL3 taking a bullet . What was the damage in repairs for it , where was it repaired ?

I plan to return to the BI and I cringe at the idea of packing my delicate stuff for the flight back to stay .

When I lived there on the BI 7 years ( Puna Dist. ) I kind of liked the laid back casual treatment at the airports , I look local and I also can sound
local too ( yeah bra da kine pidgin ) came in handy when flying to the mainland during the " agriculture " check heh heh heh .

I wasn't packing delicate stuff then though , now I have 4 guitars , one ukulele , mics , mixers , amps , and a Voice Live 3 X , and the whole ball of wax .

While living there on the BI I blew harp only - so it was a Shure 58 , a box of harps and into a P.A. back then I traveled light .

Hope to hook up with all the musicians on the BI I played with once again in the not to distant future .

Alpoooooooooooooha bra

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote