Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 04-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredd View Post
Exhibit A: rhythm is as important to good playing as is theory, finger dexterity, chord knowledge, yada...JMHO...
Rhythm is what makes it music. I've seen many technically challenged players that would get a whole room full of feet tapping because of their incredible sense of rhythm.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I have to WORK for every measure of groove

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #12
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Rhythm is what makes it music. I've seen many technically challenged players that would get a whole room full of feet tapping because of their incredible sense of rhythm.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I have to WORK for every measure of groove
Quite a few years ago my daughter had this friend, kind of a boyfriend but not really and he would come over with his guitar. The kid could shred and play lead lines up and down the neck. One day he comes over and he is playing I Walk The Line, probably knew that song was from my era. So I said, hey Jay, what key are you in? He said to me, Huh? I dunno.

I don't think he bought into rhythm but I sure do.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

I don't know that anybody here was trying to say that rhythm wasn't important...I fully agree!

A lot of times, to create and interesting rhythm, you need to build in space.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

I don't know that anybody here was trying to say that anybody else said rhythm wasn't important. I am of the opinion that the importance of rhythm is understated.

I've had lessons, studied tons of various course materials and such and I can't recall any of them really stressing the ability to play a groove, and certainly not stressed as much as scales and such.

--

Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I don't know that anybody here was trying to say that anybody else said rhythm wasn't important. I am of the opinion that the importance of rhythm is understated.

I've had lessons, studied tons of various course materials and such and I can't recall any of them really stressing the ability to play a groove, and certainly not stressed as much as scales and such.
That is true. When I did the "rock band" program at the local music shop, one of the other guitar players couldn't play rhythm guitar. His attitude was "I'm a lead player" and he scoffed at playing rhythm like it was beneath him.

I thought this was the stupidest attitudes I could think of. At first I was insulted, like it was up to me to do the dirty work that was beneath him. Then I realized my playing was what was being heard/featured 95% of the time, so go ahead dude, stand there miming playing rhythm until your solo comes up.

The irony is that he wasn't a good lead player either. No rhythm either. Don't know what his deal was.

So yeah, for something that guitar players are doing most of the time when they are performing (rhythm guitar), it doesn't get much focus with lessons.

Things like groove and rhythm (not rhythm guitar really, just basic rhythm) are hard to teach. A lot of it I think is a feel thing I think.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #16
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

With so little experience, I'm hesitant to chime in on the nature or rhythm but I recall Ritchie Havens playing Freedom at Woodstock. The chords were, at best, secondary. The rhythm and vocals are what was moving about that performance . When I listen to Metallica or Black Sabbath, it's the riffs -- the rhythm -- that grabs me. The lead lines may be amazing but they are decorative flourishes . The the core of all the blues that I love, is the rhythm. Odd bends, chucks, palm muting and vibrato are rhythm elements, IMO. I think the notes season the rhythm not the other way around.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
That is true. When I did the "rock band" program at the local music shop, one of the other guitar players couldn't play rhythm guitar. His attitude was "I'm a lead player" and he scoffed at playing rhythm like it was beneath him.

I thought this was the stupidest attitudes I could think of. At first I was insulted, like it was up to me to do the dirty work that was beneath him. Then I realized my playing was what was being heard/featured 95% of the time, so go ahead dude, stand there miming playing rhythm until your solo comes up.

The irony is that he wasn't a good lead player either. No rhythm either. Don't know what his deal was.

So yeah, for something that guitar players are doing most of the time when they are performing (rhythm guitar), it doesn't get much focus with lessons.

Things like groove and rhythm (not rhythm guitar really, just basic rhythm) are hard to teach. A lot of it I think is a feel thing I think.
I have yet to be really impressed with a lead player that wasn't fitting the groove. Plating a solo without rhythm is like taking a shower with a raincoat on!

--

Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #18
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
With so little experience, I'm hesitant to chime in on the nature or rhythm but I recall Ritchie Havens playing Freedom at Woodstock. The chords were, at best, secondary. The rhythm and vocals are what was moving about that performance . When I listen to Metallica or Black Sabbath, it's the riffs -- the rhythm -- that grabs me. The lead lines may be amazing but they are decorative flourishes . The the core of all the blues that I love, is the rhythm. Odd bends, chucks, palm muting and vibrato are rhythm elements, IMO. I think the notes season the rhythm not the other way around.
You don't have to be a master musician to know what you like . I agree with you 100%.

It's why I like Satriani and some EVH...sure they can rip off a flying stream of notes, but they can also come up with some really cool riffs that are cool in a rhythmic way.

Lately Satch has kind of lost me, but in the band Chickenfoot, he strips his style down and has some monster riffs and shortened but super cool solos.

I like the idea of using speed as a way of creating drama...but there are other ways thankfully otherwise I'd be screwed .
Old 04-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #19
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Dan, I think you partially answered your own question- stop thinking about it.

I can't get the hang of tab for the life of me, and I've never tried to read any DU written patterns. Whatever rhythm I learned was straight off the record, and I let my ears guide me. What do you think the pattern would be for, say, Pinball Wizard? Good luck with that.

Let your ears and rhythm guide you, and just let the strumming hand follow. Quick releases with your fretting hand is another story.

I feel to some degree, especially when you're starting out, thinking can be like tightening a muscle.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote