Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Effects

Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 AM   #11
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public Cobalt likes to masturbate in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Save some more, sell your MG10, then take a look at the Boss Katana 50 which could be had for less than $200. It has all that you need.
Nice modeling amp.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:46 PM   #12
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milos View Post
So, please, can you propose me something good, dirty and cheap. Not overdrive please, and, for God sake, not Catalinbread, because I really want it and I really like it, but it is out my budget.
The key thing is finding effects which use JFET transistors to emulate a tube preamp; they will usually get you the closest to what you're looking for as JFETs work the same way triode vacuum tubes work (just at much lower voltages) and more importantly, they respond really similarly to how a real tube amp.

To get the most out of it, I suggest also at some point getting a mid-focused overdrive, not necessarily to use for your distortion sound but as a mid boost which will let you get a lot more out of either your distortion pedal or whatever amp you eventually get down the line; it allows you to turn your preamp/distortion gain down considerably yet retain the same amount of overall gain and clipping. This is how a lot of rock and especially metal acts are getting really crunchy guitar tones yet retain a lot of definition.

Something else to keep in mind is that if your long-term plan is centered around tube amps, you're not throwing money away on a temporary solution; you'll always have one use or another for a mid-focused OD and even when you have one good high-gain sound, it's nice to have a second flavor on tap from time to time.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX

Last edited by Revenge of the Naked Ape; 04-18-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
Screaming Dave
Senior Twangler

Screaming Dave Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezyridr View Post
those guys going on about boss pedals like other "better" pedals because they are using higher end amps. but the truth is they're wrong about boss pedals. they aren't the best, but they certainly aren't as bad as they say.

anyone who doubts that, please explain why so many big name guitarists all have a boss pedal or two on their board, if they suck as bad as you claim.
i mean, if they suck so bad why are they used by john mayer, frushiante, slash, david gilmour, warren haynes, satriani used a ds-1 for a loooong time. one of you guys able to get a better tone than warren haynes' out of a 6"speaker? please post a sample.

spend an hour wading through all the rig run downs on youtube for famous artists. almost all of them have at least one boss pedal on their board. i know the buffer isn't great, but they are bullet proof, common as can be, and cheap.

but the truth is, arguing about tone when the amp in question is a budget 10w s.s amp with a 6" speaker has absolutely zero value. o/p os bettewr off getting anything cheap and saving his money for more important upgrades in the future.
I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick here, fella. Nobody said all Boss pedals are bad, just that they don't like their distortion pedals much, and that's just their personal opinions, which is all fine and dandy. If you do like them, then that's cool as well. I've got a couple of Boss pedals on my board, just not distortions. The two pedals I recommended are both cheap as chips, certainly no more expensive than a DS-1, so I'm not suggesting some expensive boutique pedal. Most of the advice has been for the o/p to try some out and see what they like, which is sound advice. At the end of the day it doesn't matter who plays what pedal, it's your own ears which count.

(For what it's worth, there don't seem to be a lot of Boss distortions in those guys' arsenals. Plenty of delays, etc. but not distortions)

Last edited by Screaming Dave; 04-19-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Screaming Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #14
cheezyridr
Banned

cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out cheezyridr huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Dave View Post
There's no such thing as bad weather. There's only the wrong clothes.
what's the right clothes for a tornado?
cheezyridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #15
Screaming Dave
Senior Twangler

Screaming Dave Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezyridr View Post
what's the right clothes for a tornado?
Shorts and a Hawaii shirt
Old 04-21-2017, 12:45 PM   #16
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge of the Naked Ape View Post
The key thing is finding effects which use JFET transistors to emulate a tube preamp
Also very important that the box it's in is made from the right type of wood. Wood has a huge effect on tone.
pdawg0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #17
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
Also very important that the box it's in is made from the right type of wood. Wood has a huge effect on tone.
Here, learn something.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #18
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

Boss pedals will get you the bedrock tones of rock music. They're not overly expensive and they last FOREVER which means there are tons of them out there which means everybody plays them which I think has more to do with why people say they're "generic" sounding. It's not that there are any inherent problems with the tones or functionality - most of them aren't "sterile" sounding to me, it's just that SO many people use them that it's easy to confuse their ubiquity with being simple or basic or "plain vanilla" in their tone. They're not stylish and glamorous, they're functional and dependable. There are a great many Boss pedals, the Blues Driver mentioned above for example, that if you took the guts out and put it in a different housing with a boutique-looking finish and a fancy name I have no doubt most guitarists would fall for it and say it's an excellent tone.

But yeah I'll go along with the herd, a Marshall MG10 is not going to give you a lot of nuance or dimension no matter what you stick in front of it. I would also say what you're looking for is a pedal that will get it's grit sound within the pedal itself as opposed to something that will just push the front of your amp with more gain and get the clipping from the amp.

It might not be a bad idea to bring your actual amp and guitar into a store and test-drive some dirt pedals.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #19
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

My dad had a saying, "Anyone can learn to drink top shelf." Boss ain't the top shelf. Boss is the Johnnie Walker Red Label of guitar effects. There ain't a damn thing wrong with it, it's enjoyable, and it'll get the job done every single time, but if you spend a whole lot more you can get something nicer.

As far as top-tier A-List musicians who use Boss pedals, in a lot of cases it might be a vintage pedal from 30 years ago that Boss no longer makes, or at least doesn't make with all the same components. Guitarists are a superstitious bunch. Mojo counts for a lot. I think in the end comfort and familiarity are worth a shitload - maybe even more than having something that's brand new and cutting edge with all the shiny bells and whistles that connects to your phone, files your tax return, and places your weed order with your drug dealer for after the show. When it comes to truly perfect tone, when price is not a factor, you can get great things from some of the real boutique brands. But if you're going by dependability, and simplicity of use - there's not much that has Boss beat. If I had a gig board with 5 Boss pedals on it, it might not sound unique, I might not win any pissing contests with the guitarists from the other bands on the bill; but I wouldn't have to worry about them failing me at the gig either.
Old 04-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #20
chaos2767

chaos2767 Just getting started

I think for the price of a decent OD pedal, you could sell your MG and upgrade your amp for the same money and have a decent distortion and probably some built in effects. Obviously, used gear will be your best bet but I think you would be more inspired by slightly better gear! We have all been in your shoes as starting out musicians and understand your situation. A slightly bigger Line 6, Marshall, Vox, Crate, Orange will give you the tones your lookin for!
chaos2767 is offline   Reply With Quote