Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 09-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default SG tone and quantum interference

I have a Epi SG G-400 PRO that I play regularly. I like the guitar and I like the tone I get from it. It does a pretty credible AC/DC and Black Sabbath (diff amp setups). Despite the Asian pedigree, the Alnico Classic Pro pickups are pretty decent, IMO.

Anyway, my cousin is in town and he's purty good. He was playing some 80s metal licks and even some Zeppelin stuff and I kept going back to the amp to see if something was off. I double and triple checked the settings. The guitar tone was thin and kinda reedy sounding.

The only 2 variables are

A) He sat on the couch. I never sit on the couch but I do sit 4 feet away. It's an electrically noisy room but the SG's been in this room it's entire life.

B) My cousin is an alien. The radioactive slime that passes for blood interferes, at a quantum level, with normal guitars. Aliens all play EMG active pickups and use expensive noise gates for this very reason. "Quantizating loopers", Need I say more?

I mentioned it to my wife the next day and she said she even noticed that the guitar sounded funny. She said is doesn't sound like that when I play it. I played it today and it sounded great. She is convinced that Johnny is an alien but she's not a player, so...

I suspect I got it in some odd state the affected the tone. I love the Katana but this is the 2nd odd glitch I've experienced. Chirping spring reverb is the other.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Did you play after him, and had a different tone?

One reasonable explanation for the tonal difference is where he picks, as opposed to where you pick. If you pick over the bridge for example, your tone will sound naturally tinnier.

Can't say I've noticed a chirping anything on the Katana.

I have an Epi SG...special? I was gonna give it away, but it sounds damn good through the Katana. I may throw the PRS pups into it. But the stock pups are surprisingly good sounding.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Stevie Ray Vaughan said that the sound comes out of your fingers. To some degree, he's right. Where you pick, how you pick, how well defined your fingering is, all affect the final sound. Playing an SG is like walking uphill. To get where you want be, it's going to be a struggle. I've only played two SGs that impressed me and I've play about forty of them. I've always felt that the small thin body was the culprit.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

I'm going with B, your cousin is an alien. Nothing else makes sense.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:10 AM   #5
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
I'm going with B, your cousin is an alien. Nothing else makes sense.
+1.

Does he look particularly bad-ass, and can he play any licks that have an unusually "out there" kinda sound??
If so, then you know for SURE what the deal is.

So I got her nothing.
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 AM   #6
pdawg0

You need to get the whole band dressed like that!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:10 AM   #7
pdawg0

Have to put this post up to hit 400. I'm such a rookie.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:30 AM   #8
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Go sit on the couch and if it still sounds normal, your cousin is an alien or tone is in the fingertips.

It's certainly not the thinness of the wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrEar7dgVwI
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

The sound is in his hands.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote