Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 10-24-2017, 01:18 AM   #31
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Nothing useful to add, but I love these guitars already. Only had one in my hands a few days, and I can see what all the fuss is about. I like the smaller thinner neck. They ring out with mids and top end resonance. Just lovely. Did you have any high frets on yours ? Mine will need a fret dress to get the action down a touch. But I am in tele heaven. Great mods.
For the price, I think they're the best damned guitars made, and that includes the PRS. They're so affordable, a pup swap will still put you far under an American model. With the DiMarzios I put into mine, I'm getting exactly the tone I want. How often can anyone say that?

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 AM   #32
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
For the price, I think they're the best damned guitars made, and that includes the PRS. They're so affordable, a pup swap will still put you far under an American model. With the DiMarzios I put into mine, I'm getting exactly the tone I want. How often can anyone say that?
Exactly its interesting why this particular model design seems so well voiced. all perceptions at the moment are from listening acoustically. But it chimes with clear bright stable tone doesn't it. Pine body ( I notice it is a tad lighter ) with the smaller neck.

And maple fret board must all be contributing to its acoustic sound. Just a great design put together with what seems to me to be adequate materials. Much prefer this to the MIM Tele I had years ago. less problems with the neck than I had with that model. And sounds more Tele to me. Even though the MIM Teles neck was a somewhat chunkier piece of wood.

I think these necks are great, With small hands its just a bonus that in no way seems to affect its tone. I get the feel of a quality piece of wood on those necks. Overall its a MIM alternative not just cheaper in my book. My view may change over time but I doubt it.
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:39 AM   #33
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Totally agree! I was hesitant in mod'ing mine because they say "leave the guitar as it is." Then somebody mentioned that I'm the one who is going to use it, so I should make it into what I want. I am very happy with my mod now. It has lots of tonal capabilities because of the no-load tone pot and humbucker. This will be a keeper for a long time.

I'm thinking of putting in a Hipshot Drop D GT2. But, I don't gig anymore... I dunno... But, I'll probably with a church worship band 10 years from now.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #34
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I'm thinking of putting in a Hipshot Drop D GT2. But, I don't gig anymore... I dunno... But, I'll probably with a church worship band 10 years from now.
I'm thinking of putting a Bigsby on mine. The one where you don't have drill into the body.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:10 AM   #35
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I installed a GFS Overwound Repro Vintage Alnico Tele Neck Pickup at 9k last Saturday! Got it for only $19.57! You can't find it on their website, but if you Google search for "overwound telecaster alnico neck pickup, it would come up. search I have now somewhat balanced the loudness of the 11k humbuckers with this and it sounds AWESOME! I love its tone too!

Now... to get that video demo finished...

Last edited by littlebadboy; 10-30-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:48 AM   #36
old geezer

Quote:
I installed a GFS Overwound Repro Vintage Alnico Tele Neck Pickup at 9k last Saturday! Got it for only $19.57! You can't find it on their website, but if you Google search for "overwound telecaster alnico neck pickup, it would come up. search I have now somewhat balanced the loudness of the 11k humbuckers with this and it sounds AWESOME! I love its tone too!

Now... to get that video demo finished...
Its very interesting to me. Because as you know I like doing things sometimes with a lot of drive. So I am learning a lot from your info. I might keep this Telly as it is. And upgrade the yamahas humbucker. For similar reasons. Just out of interest do you think the single coil humbucker Is as good as a traditional one ?
Old 11-02-2017, 04:46 AM   #37
littlebadboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Its very interesting to me. Because as you know I like doing things sometimes with a lot of drive. So I am learning a lot from your info. I might keep this Telly as it is. And upgrade the yamahas humbucker. For similar reasons. Just out of interest do you think the single coil humbucker Is as good as a traditional one ?
If the single sized humbucker and a full-sized sound the same? No. But, the single-sized humbucker is the closest it could get that a single coil can't. I would say that my mod still somewhat keeps some of the telecaster character. It's like "a telecaster that gone wild" so to say.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:13 AM   #38
old geezer

Quote:
If the single sized humbucker and a full-sized sound the same? No. But, the single-sized humbucker is the closest it could get that a single coil can't. I would say that my mod still somewhat keeps some of the telecaster character. It's like "a telecaster that gone wild" so to say.
Sounds Good. Would be interested in your demo I could listen on mission floor standers
As they are good quality. The laptop wont show the differences.

The reason I am thinking about all this, is some of the things I keep trying to develop. Namely harmonic squeals
sounds like your mods would work well with this kind of stuff. Though I may go with the other idea getting a hot humbucker for the Yamaha. Saw a fender texas special single coil on ebay quite cheap recently would be nice in the telly
CV Stock bridge pickup Metal pick on some of the solos.
https://soundcloud.com/neil-phillips...9/dirty-t-bass

Last edited by old geezer; 11-05-2017 at 07:12 PM.