Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 11-23-2017, 08:12 PM   #61
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinorKey View Post
But surely you can get that sound on any electric. I don't get how one electric guitar can sound different to another. There's no acoustics involved.
Pup choice can change your sound so much. Having the middle single coil mellows the sound and if you can get all three single coils or pups on together it mellows it out even more.

On a clean sound I very rarely have one pup on only as it is too harsh for my ear and needs mellowing imo and the middle single coil works better . Subtle differences between in series and parallel also .
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #62
MinorKey
Dont just hum it strum it

MinorKey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
Pup choice can change your sound so much. Having the middle single coil mellows the sound and if you can get all three single coils or pups on together it mellows it out even more.

On a clean sound I very rarely have one pup on only as it is too harsh for my ear and needs mellowing imo and the middle single coil works better . Subtle differences between in series and parallel also .
I had a Squier strat and I loved how the tone changed when I selected the different pups. Could never get the tone pot to work tho
MinorKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #63
Abo

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Very rarely do I adjust the tone volume always up full.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:42 AM   #64
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
This:

Indigenous, Los Lonely boys, etc. are all basic copies of SRV's strat sound and playing. I like them just fine, but they didn't invent that sound, Fender did.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:13 AM   #65
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
John Mayer gets a the ultimate strat sound in one of his numbers that if I could remember which one I would post up lol
Mayer's a great player, but anything he plays, he copped from SRV doing Hendrix imo.

Quote:
Very rarely do I adjust the tone volume always up full.
Isn't that the law with strat players? I dunno why there's a tone knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
Indigenous, Los Lonely boys, etc. are all basic copies of SRV's strat sound and playing. I like them just fine, but they didn't invent that sound, Fender did.
I'd say that Fender created the tool; the artists created the sound. That's why I think of it as the "strat-ish" sound. Lotta players throw in non-Fender pups too.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:49 PM   #66
Abo

Regarding the tone in position 2 rolling off the tone gets a sound I hear clapton use a lot if memory serves me right. Almost that wah pulled back tone if you get me
Old 12-02-2017, 12:37 AM   #67
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Regarding the tone in position 2 rolling off the tone gets a sound I hear clapton use a lot if memory serves me right. Almost that wah pulled back tone if you get me
You mean neck+middle? Clapton's woman tone?

I saw a YT guy playing a strat with h-s-h config, and it sounded just like SRV to me. I was pretty surprised, and he didn't split the coils.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:17 AM   #68
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

For me... Tears for Fears playing "Shout". SRV and Hendrix.
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:02 AM   #69
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
Regarding copies, SRV is a direct copy of Hendrix and Buddy Guy's playing... and not a good copy. I've seen SRV a few times. Maybe it was his substance abuse issues, but his licks and riffs were very repetitive, and he made a lot of mistakes.

Great tone, no doubt, and yes, a pure Strat tone. But he didnt make that tone famous. Hendrix and Buddy Guy had his number long before SRV even knew what a guitar was.

So I got her nothing.
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #70
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
Regarding copies, SRV is a direct copy of Hendrix and Buddy Guy's playing... and not a good copy. I've seen SRV a few times. Maybe it was his substance abuse issues, but his licks and riffs were very repetitive, and he made a lot of mistakes.

Great tone, no doubt, and yes, a pure Strat tone. But he didnt make that tone famous. Hendrix and Buddy Guy had his number long before SRV even knew what a guitar was.
I love SRV, but I never saw him at his best. The first time I saw him, he must have been high as a kite, and me and my friend walked out.

I saw SRV at his last MSG appearance where Jeff Beck opened for him. While tonally very different, Beck blew SRV off the stage in the encore.

SRV's ferocious way of playing is what stands out for me. It's no secret that SRV was a Hendrix superfan. He named all his influences in interviews.