PRS Custom 24
PRS McCarty
Jackson SL-1
Gibson SG standard
Grasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #22
Island Eddie
pure of heart, dim of wit

Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia Island Eddie can't see their genitalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubix View Post
They're all combos How about some half/full stacks over there (Seriously, I'd like some info about those, as I don't really like combos)
I would imagine they are all combo amps because it is a list designed to help beginners decide. I don't think anyone just starting out would have any need for a stack.

I think it's a great list.

" You have you experience to believe in the pleasures of a heated toilet seat."

-Bun E. Carlos
Island Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #23
Thumpalumpacus
Carlinist

Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies Thumpalumpacus feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie In NOLA View Post
I don't think anyone just starting out would have any need for a stack.
At least, the neighbors are desperately hoping you're right.
Thumpalumpacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #24
ragin cajun

ragin cajun Just getting started ragin cajun Just getting started

Just wanted to say this is a great thread. A few of the links are dead now but that is OK. At least it gives a newer player, like me, a place to start. I've spent the money on guitars but now was looking to get beyond the basic Clear/Overdrive channels on an entry level amp. This gave me tons of good reading and insight.

I had been considering a Vox AC4TV tube and then broadened out to a few other similar brands and sizes like the Bugera v55. However after reading this article and watching a few videos on different amps, I decided that I didn't need to go tube and since I was still learning to play, as well as discovering sounds and tones, that a modulating amp was the way to go so I could start to mess around with effects and other odds and ends that a modulator allows for.

So I started pricing those, starting in group A for price. I ended up looking at a few in Group C because used would be cheaper than new, so I could get more bang for the buck. Although the amp I ended up with isn't on the list, it's bookend models are in Group A and C so I figure my amp would be in group B.

Thanks for the input and the time to compile this. It helped alot and I think I am pretty happy with my purchase yesterday.
Dean Black Gold ML (Explorer)
B.C. Rich Warlock Metal Master Blade (Red/White)
Laguna LE122 (Black)
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
amikola

amikola Just getting started

Great Work!
I'm just interested: How Much watts are needed to play in a club that is about 40 x 20 square meters? Or to balance the sound between acoustic drums, keyboard,vocal and bass guitar, so all of the instruments can be heard in a hall? I'm looking for tube amp that is cheap enough, kinda B category.
amikola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:16 PM   #26
henrymars

henrymars Just getting started

50W tube amp ought to do it if you are playing classic rock or similar ... depend on how clean you need to be and how loud your band is and how many people there are in the room. I have played in rooms around half that size with my 15W GVT15 112 and been told that I was too loud ... it has a 16ohm Cannabis Rex installed and I use a 1x12 extension cab with a 16ohm G30H in it. Sounds great but I don't need a lot of super clean headroom either. I would go check out a few live bands in similar conditions and see what you like. Remember that too much power can be as bad as not enough power depending on the sound you are trying to get.
henrymars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #27
jimmy peters

jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop jimmy peters likes poop
Default fender buillit

I picked one up about 6 mths ago and at 15 watts I am amazed at the quality of sound , that thing puts out . the main thing I like it only weighs about 25 pounds.
15 watts is not much power but everything is miked today anyway,
for practicing , It has more than enough power.
at my age I'm thru carrying heavy equip. that's for the roadies.

jimmy peters

jimmy peters-oldest fart
jimmy peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:31 AM   #28
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Jimmy! You have camels for the heavy lifting. Get your knees done yet?

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #29
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

Hello Master Chief, I agree that many amps have various sounds just like guitars,The Best one I Have found that will give me any type sound I want Is the Fender G Deck Series I added a Bypass Jack into the back of its cbinate to Plug it into a larger Marshal for the extra volume I wanted. and use a limited supply of effects pedals.
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote