Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 12-07-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I can only speak for myself. If I practice one thing over and over and over and over, I actually get worse. Its called over practicing. Then If I lay off of it for a day or two, I play it almost perfect. With that said, I would recommend practicing as many different things as possible because they all are eventually going to relate to each other anyway. When I first started playing, I would try to play something with difficult fingering and it would be almost impossible because I thought that I couldn't do it. Now, 50 years later, I'll try whatever comes into my head and I usually can nail it because now my mindset is that I can actually finger it. We hold ourselves back more than physical limitations because of our mental mindset. Repetition is important in development but just don't over do it.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:45 PM   #12
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstringplayer View Post
What the red squid said.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
Hmmm, that should be on a T-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
I would wear that !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangello06 View Post
Thank you, for the responses. Extra thanks to BallisticSquid, that makes a lot of sense.
Glad to help...welcome to the forum!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I can only speak for myself. If I practice one thing over and over and over and over, I actually get worse. Its called over practicing. Then If I lay off of it for a day or two, I play it almost perfect. With that said, I would recommend practicing as many different things as possible because they all are eventually going to relate to each other anyway. When I first started playing, I would try to play something with difficult fingering and it would be almost impossible because I thought that I couldn't do it. Now, 50 years later, I'll try whatever comes into my head and I usually can nail it because now my mindset is that I can actually finger it. We hold ourselves back more than physical limitations because of our mental mindset. Repetition is important in development but just don't over do it.
That happens to me too.

In general, slow and steady wins the race. It's better to practice 1/2 hour a day over a span of time than once or twice a week putting in 4 hours.

I know professional musicians have 8 hour or more daily routines, but I have to believe that a big chunk of that is running through music and exercises to maintain current skills.

You'd be surprised what 30 minutes a day of focused practice can get you!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote