Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started
Default Scalloped FretBoard

Any One Use A scalloped Fret Board. And What are The Benefits From same. Also Should I explane what a scalloped fret Board is
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Allows easier string bending, but you need a very light touch playing 'normal' notes, or they go sharp by quite a bit.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

You can scallop a fret board with a half round file.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
JaxJaxon

would I get difficulty playing Barr Cords with Scalloped. And are there any Manufactured Guitars with them.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

What is it you hope to accomplish with scalloped fret board? There was a lengthy discussion of them on this forum a few months ago. I could look up a link to it, but I'm too busy looking at Cobalt's new strat.

Do a forum search for "scooped frets"
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
JaxJaxon

oh scooped frets I was searching in scalloped fret boards Thx.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJaxon View Post
oh scooped frets I was searching in scalloped fret boards Thx.
They are called by both names. Most people ruin their guitars because they "SAW A GUY" who played with scalloped/scooped frets. When guitarists get over the ,"I saw a guy" syndrome, they usually settle in to what works for them and end up with a good playing and good sounding instrument with one or two peddles and good sounding amp. The guy with the most toys isn't always the guy who plays the best. If you ever want to try scalloped frets, just get a junker and experiment on that.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
JaxJaxon

why do thet call it scooped frets when its the fret board that gest scooped.I have played a guitar until the frets becamed scooped.i filed them straight again.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Quote:
why do they call it scooped frets when its the fret board that gets scooped. I have played a guitar until the frets became scooped. I filed them straight again.
It's just a general term known. Scooped and scalloped are the same when it comes to the fret board, not the fret wire itself.

Now, if you had a scooped fret wire, you can't file that flat because it's already bowed concave. You replace it, so I'm assuming that you are talking about indents in the fret wire. That's crowning, level and dressing.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #10
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
why do thet call it scooped frets when its the fret board that gest scooped.I have played a guitar until the frets becamed scooped.i filed them straight again.
Its symantics. Scalloped frets/Scalloped fretboard. Its the same thing. You just scoop out the fretboard area between all or some of the frets. Some people just scallop the upper frets. Others scallop all the frets. The strings wearing valleys into the most used frets is a whole other thing. Redressing worn frets is just a necessary evil caused by wear.