Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 11-12-2017, 11:44 PM   #1
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started
Default Took in a tribute band last night/sort of

A band came to town last night, labeled as a Beatles/Rolling Stones tribute band. Was curious how they were going to pull off looking like and sounding like both bands and went with my wife.

They came out for the 7 PM start at 7:15, OK, no harm, they open with I want to hold your hand and right from the start you can tell only one member was very good in the band. They had 2 guitar players and they shared rhythm and lead, the guitarist closest to me was the better of the 2 players looked somewhat like John of the Beatles and his voice sounded very close to a Paul and or John. The lead singer had a voice more akin to Mick Jagger then any Beatle but had zero in the moves dept. The bass player was adequate and wasn't miked, so no backup singing from him. The drummer was fair but held his own in harmonies. Guitar player #2 was a nice player but didn't make it on most of his leads.

What was really horrible is guitar player #2 broke a string 8 songs (or so) into the set. So you say, he put his guitar down and went to his back up ax, right? Wrong, no back up ax on stage, no road hand to help out. Guitar player #1 didn't have a back up either, so they stop playing, while #2 searches his case for a spare string............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..........Now the singer is asking if anyone in the audience wants to come on stage to say a few jokes. No shit, they are asking people to seriously come on stage to kill some time while player #2 figures out what to do and the entire band has to help him.

Luckily we have a professional opera singer from Broadway in attendance, he hits the stage and after a moment of two of introduction belts out 2 beautiful songs for us.

The band starts filtering back on to the stage, They grab instruments and start playing, #2 has a new guitar in hand (my guess is it was in his car) but now with the temperature change it is drastically out of tune. They fuddle through one song and they stop to tune up, but low and behold, no electronic tuner of any sort so they tune by ear off player #1.

The whole flow of the night was ruined, gone, I felt bad knowing how hard it is to just get 5 guys together let alone get along well enough to gig, then you ruin it by allowing something like a broken string to get in the way.

How about a drum solo, a jam session, an acoustic option for 10 minutes, or how about have some spare stings or a back up guitar. I know when the spot light is on you it's harder to change that string then in your living room, but damn, you killed the night. Be prepared.

Rant over.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:27 AM   #2
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
A band came to town last night, labeled as a Beatles/Rolling Stones tribute band. Was curious how they were going to pull off looking like and sounding like both bands and went with my wife.

They came out for the 7 PM start at 7:15, OK, no harm, they open with I want to hold your hand and right from the start you can tell only one member was very good in the band. They had 2 guitar players and they shared rhythm and lead, the guitarist closest to me was the better of the 2 players looked somewhat like John of the Beatles and his voice sounded very close to a Paul and or John. The lead singer had a voice more akin to Mick Jagger then any Beatle but had zero in the moves dept. The bass player was adequate and wasn't miked, so no backup singing from him. The drummer was fair but held his own in harmonies. Guitar player #2 was a nice player but didn't make it on most of his leads.

What was really horrible is guitar player #2 broke a string 8 songs (or so) into the set. So you say, he put his guitar down and went to his back up ax, right? Wrong, no back up ax on stage, no road hand to help out. Guitar player #1 didn't have a back up either, so they stop playing, while #2 searches his case for a spare string............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..........Now the singer is asking if anyone in the audience wants to come on stage to say a few jokes. No shit, they are asking people to seriously come on stage to kill some time while player #2 figures out what to do and the entire band has to help him.

Luckily we have a professional opera singer from Broadway in attendance, he hits the stage and after a moment of two of introduction belts out 2 beautiful songs for us.

The band starts filtering back on to the stage, They grab instruments and start playing, #2 has a new guitar in hand (my guess is it was in his car) but now with the temperature change it is drastically out of tune. They fuddle through one song and they stop to tune up, but low and behold, no electronic tuner of any sort so they tune by ear off player #1.

The whole flow of the night was ruined, gone, I felt bad knowing how hard it is to just get 5 guys together let alone get along well enough to gig, then you ruin it by allowing something like a broken string to get in the way.

How about a drum solo, a jam session, an acoustic option for 10 minutes, or how about have some spare stings or a back up guitar. I know when the spot light is on you it's harder to change that string then in your living room, but damn, you killed the night. Be prepared.

Rant over.
Nothing better than a ten minute drum solo. Yep. You got screwed Louie. Did you ask for your $2 back?
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:04 AM   #3
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

I'm shocked you stuck around for the "whole flow of the night".
stratstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:00 AM   #4
Lefty Louie

Well guys it went kind of like this. Took wife out to dinner $100. The entertainment was billed as a premier cover/ tribute band and the night was for charity. Women's cancer treatment's. So another $200 in donations.

I don't mind making the donation, its something we do with or without the lure of entertainment but when you plan a night around an event you set expectations. Those were not even close to being met.

We've seen several bands over the years for the same and other charities, this one fell far short.

Last edited by Lefty Louie; 11-13-2017 at 03:32 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 11-13-2017, 02:40 AM   #5
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

I've seen the Stones/Beatles Tribute Band advertised in Reno. Don't know if they are related.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:28 AM   #6
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Well if it was for charity then that's a whole different story. Thumbs up to you for your support.....
stratstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:35 AM   #7
Lefty Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I've seen the Stones/Beatles Tribute Band advertised in Reno. Don't know if they are related.
I can't imagine this band playing around the nation, seemed very much like home grown guys.

I'm not saying a 10 minute drum solo but you don't call on members of the audience that are supporting the cause to entertain the crowd while you search for a solution that shouldn't have been a problem from the start.

Easy enough to have an acoustic guitar and to Dear Prudence and Waiting on a friend to kill a few minutes.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:31 PM   #8
crank

crank Just getting started

Every crappy bar band I have been in either has had an extra guitar to grab or a string changing song.

I almost always bring a spare guitar and usually tune it up and put it somewhere I can grab it. I break a string maybe 1 or 2 times a year at gigs.

If I didn't bring a spare guitar the band plays a song that I don't need to be on and I change it.

I used to be in a band with a guy that broke strings every show. He brought 3 guitars to every gig. One time he broke strings on all 3 and I handed him my spare.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:43 PM   #9
Lefty Louie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
Every crappy bar band I have been in either has had an extra guitar to grab or a string changing song.

I almost always bring a spare guitar and usually tune it up and put it somewhere I can grab it. I break a string maybe 1 or 2 times a year at gigs.

If I didn't bring a spare guitar the band plays a song that I don't need to be on and I change it.

I used to be in a band with a guy that broke strings every show. He brought 3 guitars to every gig. One time he broke strings on all 3 and I handed him my spare.
Bingo Bongo.