Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 11-20-2017, 06:35 PM   #61
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Have you tested out some of the Randall amps? I played through one in a music store years ago, it had a killer fat nice tone.
I was going to trade my Peavey Classic in towards it, the store owner was testing my Peavey out to make sure it was all good and working, while I'm looking at the Randall, I hear him playing and playing and playing, they offer me on my trade in, I say man I'm not sure... the sales guy goes and talks to the owner, comes back and says 'OK, my boss wants your amp BAD, he'll go straight across, the new Randall for your Peavey, no cash extra' . Man that made me re-think and I walked out of the store with my Peavey, the owner was sad, and then I was glad I kept it lol
Just a babble story, has no relevance to this thread
Old 12-02-2017, 06:18 AM   #62
rdouglas
Master Lurker

rdouglas Just getting started

Okay, question for everyone that has a Katana. I'd listened to several clips on YouTube that I really liked, and it seems like there is a lot of love for Katana on this site. So with much excitement I finally decided to go give it a try with great expectations. I currently have a Crate Palomino 2x12 combo (all tube amp) which weighs "a ton" that I use when playing with my band. It never gets above 9:00 on the clean channel, and I was hoping to find something lighter that could cover me during band practice and gigs.

I tried out the 50 Watt version and was completely under impressed on the clean channel. Now I'm given to using Clean tones as my basis for amp judgement, and I had just gotten done with my lesson where my instructor has a Marshall DSL that sounds killer. The Boss Katana sounded lifeless for want of a better word. Like getting a Diet Coke when you're expecting a regular Coke. :-)

So my question is for people that really enjoy the clean tones on the Katana, did you have to work hard to find the tone you liked? What was your setting or settings that really sold this amp to your ear?

I figure I must be missing something considering some of the Demos I've heard with the Katana.

Thanks!
rdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 03:30 PM   #63
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdouglas View Post
Okay, question for everyone that has a Katana. I'd listened to several clips on YouTube that I really liked, and it seems like there is a lot of love for Katana on this site. So with much excitement I finally decided to go give it a try with great expectations. I currently have a Crate Palomino 2x12 combo (all tube amp) which weighs "a ton" that I use when playing with my band. It never gets above 9:00 on the clean channel, and I was hoping to find something lighter that could cover me during band practice and gigs.

I tried out the 50 Watt version and was completely under impressed on the clean channel. Now I'm given to using Clean tones as my basis for amp judgement, and I had just gotten done with my lesson where my instructor has a Marshall DSL that sounds killer. The Boss Katana sounded lifeless for want of a better word. Like getting a Diet Coke when you're expecting a regular Coke. :-)

So my question is for people that really enjoy the clean tones on the Katana, did you have to work hard to find the tone you liked? What was your setting or settings that really sold this amp to your ear?

I figure I must be missing something considering some of the Demos I've heard with the Katana.

Thanks!
Straight out of the box I did not care for the clean sound either. Now I use two of them. One is a preset that I downloaded from Tone Studio and the other is a preset I saved on the clean channel. I added chorus, delay and reverb to it. There is a Facebook group on the Katana (Slim found it) and if you join it and post your question there you will probably get a better reply as they are very active and like to help.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #64
rdouglas
Master Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Straight out of the box I did not care for the clean sound either. Now I use two of them. One is a preset that I downloaded from Tone Studio and the other is a preset I saved on the clean channel. I added chorus, delay and reverb to it. There is a Facebook group on the Katana (Slim found it) and if you join it and post your question there you will probably get a better reply as they are very active and like to help.
Thanks Cobalt! I'll go check that out.

Noticed that Dan Rhodes and Slim post a lot about the Katana and hope to get their feedback as well.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #65
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

The Katana is interesting in that it's not modeling other amps. It has it's own personality. It's going to do Katana cleans, not fender or marshall. That said, the pure clean tone from the Katana can be kinda bland especially at low volumes. I think it's on purpose to make it a colorless pedal platform sort of tone. Add compression or increase volume and it starts getting pretty nice. Reverb, delay, as well.

My favorite right now it the clean channel EQ all at noon a little reverb and the Guv'nor pedal. It sound great but it's not clean

It's all subjective. I think it sounds great with no pedals or effects, I like the crunch and lead channels. I think Slim set it to the brown chanel, found what he liked and kept it there.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #66
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Noticed that Dan Rhodes and Slim post a lot about the Katana and hope to get their feedback as well.
I'm not sure anyone buys the Kat for the cleans- I sure didn't. But as Coblat says, you can download more tones, but I'm not sure you'll get "Fender cleans." I have a Fender Blues Deluxe, and my SS Peavey probably does clean better than the Kat.

I think what Dan said, where I bolded, is accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
The Katana is interesting in that it's not modeling other amps. It has it's own personality. It's going to do Katana cleans, not fender or marshall. That said, the pure clean tone from the Katana can be kinda bland especially at low volumes. I think it's on purpose to make it a colorless pedal platform sort of tone. Add compression or increase volume and it starts getting pretty nice. Reverb, delay, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
It's all subjective. I think it sounds great with no pedals or effects, I like the crunch and lead channels. I think Slim set it to the brown chanel, found what he liked and kept it there.
Yep. I love the tone of the brown channel, with just a hair of dirt. The Dimarzios in my CV is exactly the tone I've heard in my head. I have to find the amps damn compression setting, as a real comp pedal is noisy as all hell.

I've barely touched the surface of what the amp can do. I found the tone I love, and may play slight variations of it.

RD- you can get the amp new, for about $170 online, if you ask for a price break. I have about 6 other amps, but this is now my go-to. I'm really sick of pedal shuffling, and knob turning.

I have the Line 6 Amplifi TT an amp processor. When I link it to the Kat (or most any amp really), I get ALL the tones I want. I got the Amplifi for about $85 on sale. I may link that to my sound system.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #67
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post

RD- you can get the amp new, for about $170

I got the Amplifi for about $85 on sale. .
I think I hold the record for Katana 50 price. $165.

Where did you get the deal on Amplifi?? I think it sells for $199?
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #68
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I think I hold the record for Katana 50 price. $165.

Where did you get the deal on Amplifi?? I think it sells for $199?
Amazon. I got $50 off for applying for their credit card + a Labor Day sale or something.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #69
rdouglas
Master Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I'm not sure anyone buys the Kat for the cleans- I sure didn't. But as Coblat says, you can download more tones, but I'm not sure you'll get "Fender cleans." I have a Fender Blues Deluxe, and my SS Peavey probably does clean better than the Kat.

I think what Dan said, where I bolded, is accurate.

Yep. I love the tone of the brown channel, with just a hair of dirt. The Dimarzios in my CV is exactly the tone I've heard in my head. I have to find the amps damn compression setting, as a real comp pedal is noisy as all hell.

I've barely touched the surface of what the amp can do. I found the tone I love, and may play slight variations of it.

RD- you can get the amp new, for about $170 online, if you ask for a price break. I have about 6 other amps, but this is now my go-to. I'm really sick of pedal shuffling, and knob turning.

I have the Line 6 Amplifi TT an amp processor. When I link it to the Kat (or most any amp really), I get ALL the tones I want. I got the Amplifi for about $85 on sale. I may link that to my sound system.

Thanks so much for the information guys. Okay, I'll take another shot at it. The shop said they'd set me up in the amp room so I could crank it a bit more. I'm thinking of adding this to my Christmas wish list. Just want to make sure it's going to give me what I want. I don't normally play entirely clean, but I do tend to judge an amp by it's clean tones. I'll try some of the other channels and see where that gets me.

Oh, and Slim, you mentioned the amplifi TT. Do you run into the amplifi and then into the Katana? I had always assumed the TT was meant to run into an existing stereo system or a computer so I hadn't thought of that. Now that you mention that it sounds like a great idea to get all the sounds you want without having to have a bunch of pedals at the front-end.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:56 AM   #70
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Oh, and Slim, you mentioned the amplifi TT. Do you run into the amplifi and then into the Katana? I had always assumed the TT was meant to run into an existing stereo system or a computer so I hadn't thought of that. Now that you mention that it sounds like a great idea to get all the sounds you want without having to have a bunch of pedals at the front-end.
Yeah, there's all kind of line outs in the rear. There's old fashioned rca outs that I can use to connect to my sound system. And, it works great as an interface. Check out the demos on YT for sounds you can get. You can download user made tones that grows by the day. I don't have any high gain amps, and it's really handy for that. https://www.google.com/search?q=ampl...YmtqxxMcCTJSM: