Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 12-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
Mister_guitarist

Mister_guitarist Just getting started
Default Blues junior "effects loop"?

hey fellas,
i have a Blues junior 3, and i loove the thing.
looking insie i saw te cable going to the speaker is connected with a jack plug coming out of the tube section.
i was wondering, if i plug my delays/reverb pedals in that jack output on the amp, and then to the speaker, would that work the same way as an effects loop?
Mister_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

No. That would probably damage your pedals. The output that goes to the speaker is the output of the power amp.

An effects loop goes between the output of the preamp and to the input of the power amp. The only thing that should be connected to the output of a power amp is a speaker.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
What the Squid said. It would probably destroy the output stage of you amp as well, because the load would be so far off compared to a speaker. Put your pedals between the guitar and the amp.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Yep.... If you plug your peddles into that jack, you will create your own personal "Smoke Machine".
Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 PM   #5
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

Just to cover some basic details, from an electronic point of view a guitar amp has two main sections.

Section 1: The preamp. This is where the signal from the guitar comes into the amp and contains the tone and gain controls of the amp a well as the channel controls, if the amp has more than one channel. This section runs at a relatively low voltage level.

Section 2: The power amp. This is where the guitar signal is amplified the most. This section will have a volume control which is the main/master volume control of the amp and runs at high voltage. The only device that you should connect to the output of a power amp is a speaker (or a speaker attenuator, sometimes called a "power soak").

If an amp has an effects loop, it will be between the preamp and the power amp, receiving a low voltage signal from the preamp and sending that signal into the power amp. Effects pedals need a low level signal to work properly, so either use them between the guitar and the amp, or in the effects loop, if the amp has an effects loop. The high level signal coming out of the power amp stage to the speaker will at the very least damage the pedals, and may also damage the power amp itself as well (because the electronic circuits in the power amp stage are designed to expect a speaker to behave a certain way when a high voltage signal is sent to the speaker. If you have something else between the power amp output and the speaker input that does not behave like a speaker, it could cause problems for the circuits in the power amp stage).
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:12 AM   #6
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

ah man yes, that's fry your pedals like tater tots! lol

Pedals are made for little signals, like less than a volt, the power amp will be shooting out hundreds of times that power.