Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 11-05-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
Vanessa

Vanessa Just getting started
Default How did you...

So how did you start playing the guitar? Why the guitar and not some other instrument?
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
So how did you start playing the guitar? Why the guitar and not some other instrument?
Actually, my very first musical instrument was the clarinet (in Elementary School). It didnt last long, maybe a few months. I really wanted to play drums, but they didnt offer drum lessons in that school.

My introduction to guitar was my sister having a Cameo nylon string guitar that I started plunking around on, when I was around 13 years old. Somehow (and I have NO idea how) I figured out that if I placed the needle of a "close and play" phonograph on a string near the bridge, I could play that string amplified thru the phonograph.

Once I heard that, it was done... I've never put the guitar down from that point till now.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I may have started playing drums, then piano. Guitar seemed like fun, I could play chords and sing a song with a guitar, and it's more portable than a piano. So when I was 14 years old my mom got me a guitar. It was an acoustic guitar, a Stella.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I told my parents about 40 years ago that I wanted to play rock guitar. They sent me to a classical piano lessons instead. My teacher was an old lady who slept on our sessions. I self taught myself to play guitar. I skipped lunches and saved my lunch money to buy my first electric guitar. I learned playing on an electric guitar right away. I skipped playing on an acoustic.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Ed Sullivan show, February 1964, the Beatles. I was totally blown away. I started guitar lessons that summer. That was the beginning of my journey to become a rock star. Still not a rock star.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I started out playing snare drum in the elementary school band. Drums were too DRY, so I quit. When I was 15, my brother wanted a guitar and my sister bought him a $17 Marwin (same as a Stella). He lasted about 30 minutes because it made his fingers sore. I immediately picked it up and that's all it took. I learned whatever I could from everyone that I could and after about a year, I could strum about a dozen chords and could play the lead line to "I Walked The Line" and "Rebel Rouser". When I was 18, some friends asked me to play in their new band. When that happened, I was forced to learn a bunch of new tunes or get booted out of the band._That's when I decided that I needed professional instructions or give it up, so I started studying with a Professional in Richmond, Va. The rest is history.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
Vanessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
Ed Sullivan show, February 1964, the Beatles. I was totally blown away. I started guitar lessons that summer. That was the beginning of my journey to become a rock star. Still not a rock star.
Keep on fighting
Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #8
Vanessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
Actually, my very first musical instrument was the clarinet (in Elementary School). It didnt last long, maybe a few months. I really wanted to play drums, but they didnt offer drum lessons in that school.

My introduction to guitar was my sister having a Cameo nylon string guitar that I started plunking around on, when I was around 13 years old. Somehow (and I have NO idea how) I figured out that if I placed the needle of a "close and play" phonograph on a string near the bridge, I could play that string amplified thru the phonograph.

Once I heard that, it was done... I've never put the guitar down from that point till now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
I may have started playing drums, then piano. Guitar seemed like fun, I could play chords and sing a song with a guitar, and it's more portable than a piano. So when I was 14 years old my mom got me a guitar. It was an acoustic guitar, a Stella.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I started out playing snare drum in the elementary school band. Drums were too DRY, so I quit. When I was 15, my brother wanted a guitar and my sister bought him a $17 Marwin (same as a Stella). He lasted about 30 minutes because it made his fingers sore. I immediately picked it up and that's all it took. I learned whatever I could from everyone that I could and after about a year, I could strum about a dozen chords and could play the lead line to "I Walked The Line" and "Rebel Rouser". When I was 18, some friends asked me to play in their new band. When that happened, I was forced to learn a bunch of new tunes or get booted out of the band._That's when I decided that I needed professional instructions or give it up, so I started studying with a Professional in Richmond, Va. The rest is history.
Great stories guys. Isn't it great to remember how you started? Haha
Old 11-05-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Vanessa

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I told my parents about 40 years ago that I wanted to play rock guitar. They sent me to a classical piano lessons instead. My teacher was an old lady who slept on our sessions. I self taught myself to play guitar. I skipped lunches and saved my lunch money to buy my first electric guitar. I learned playing on an electric guitar right away. I skipped playing on an acoustic.

How your parents reacted?
Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #10
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

My whole family except for my mother plays music. "Father, brothers, uncles, aunts and so on. They have all played as long as I could remember. Sadly though I'm getting up there in age and there isn't many of them left. They all played more guitars than anything else so I have been around it for years and years unfortunately I never stuck with it until a few years ago. Now it's the only thing that keeps me going.
stratstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote