Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 11-27-2017, 10:06 PM   #31
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_fox View Post
Thank you all for the wonderful answers.
I was looking for some inspiration from other people's motivation.
I do love music, and I do want to play guitar, but sometimes I can get overwhelmed and it feels like it's impossible for me to learn.
I mean, it's not an easy thing to learn. It takes alot of dedication and motivation and that's something that I've always struggled with.
I've got nothing that I'm good at in life. I've never really focused myself on one thing before and I thought that if I could learn to play a musical instrument and feel like I'm actually decent at it, that would give me momentum to be able to do others things that I've always wanted to do. It would show me that it IS possible for me to actually do something that I've dreamed of.

I don't know why I'm so easily worn down.

And sorry... for being so negative.
Here's something else to keep in mind.. As an instrument, guitar is a HUGE thing. You can do SO many things with it that it's impossible to learn them all. With that in mind, it's important to work on learning the tools you need to make the music *you* want to make. I play rocked out folk music, I don't have any use for sweep picking.

Try not to get discouraged, and anytime you need a word of encouragement, the fine folks here are always good for that.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #32
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Expression and escape.
old geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:42 AM   #33
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

I play guitar because i'm a bad mofo. who could ask for anything more?
Old 12-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #34
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

Why Do I Play The GitFiddel,Flat Top,Ax.The sounds I get from it.its versatility. and how you can alter its looks with out much effort. Try and alter your Saxiphone looks. Its mostly the sound.
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #35
Lefty Louie

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Cause I can't play anything else?
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:45 PM   #36
arctic_fox
Pre-Beginner Guitarist

arctic_fox Just getting started
Default Title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
Getting down or feeling depressed is an easy thing to happen. Your handle is Arctic Fox, are you located in a cold place where sunshine is limited much of the year? If so more sun helps.

Start out slow and learn a simple 2 or 3 chord song. Learn the chords then start singing along with it, take baby steps so you don't get overwhelmed. In a couple of months time you'll have it down pat, then start on a 2nd song, by years end you can have a half dozen songs down.

If help is available to you, reach out and get some, there is usually some underlying reason for feeling down, talking with someone may help you overcome.

Play on dude/dudet'
Heh heh, no. I chose that name because I think arctic foxes are cool. (Pun intended)
But I can spend long periods inside, depending on what's going on, if I need to go out for something or not...

But... it's normal to take months to learn one song?
I was getting frustrated because I thought I learn too slow...
arctic_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #37
rdouglas
Master Lurker

rdouglas Just getting started

Quote:
Heh heh, no. I chose that name because I think arctic foxes are cool. (Pun intended)
But I can spend long periods inside, depending on what's going on, if I need to go out for something or not...

But... it's normal to take months to learn one song?
I was getting frustrated because I thought I learn too slow...
Depends on the song. That might be a clue that you are trying something far outside your current skill set. You might need to choose something that is more appropriate and build up to the song that you want to get to. Starting out on Cliffs of Dover for instance is not going to go well, and do nothing but discourage you. Try to find a song that you enjoy, slightly challenges you, and work on this one. This will make the learning process fun and not discourage you at every practice session.
rdouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:09 AM   #38
BeachComber
Banned

BeachComber Just getting started

Quote:
I don't have any motivation to do anything today, let alone practice playing guitar.
I want to learn, but if I can give up so easily, maybe I truly don't want to that much if I can let my lack of motivation get in the way of learning it?
What's even the point of playing anyway? At the end of the day, I'll still be the same person with the same problems with the same life because nothing outside of yourself can truly help or change you.

So why do YOU play guitar or any other musical instrument? What is YOUR reason? What is YOUR MOTIVATION?
What was your life like before you picked up a musical instrument and said "I'm going to play this properly!"?
If you hadn't of in the first place, where do you think you would be and what would you be doing instead?
There's nothing wrong with second guessing your pursuit of a thing. You tried guitar, you found it less than inspiring. That's OK. Try some other endeavor. I can tell in your post you want to be creative. Take another path. Painting, writing, photography, etc, it's all out there for you to explore.
BeachComber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:54 AM   #39
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

I am 49 and have been playing guitar since I was 16. Why do i play is the love of music but also pure and utter escapism from all the shit that is day to day living.
I have for the last 30 years played in bands and yes that is a commitment and makes you need to play but when I play it takes me to my own little world where I forget about the bills or the crap day at work. It is my little drug , my addiction.

Every guitar player no matter how good they are will aspire to be better and everyone will hear someone do something they can't do.

But every guitar player be it the beginner playing his first three chords or Eric Clapton can do what millions of people in the world would love to.

Over the years the amount of people I have heard say I would love to play the guitar BUT.....

Get over that but , get your first song played, go to a party pick up a guitar and play your three chords and impress the other people who didn't get past the BUT and hear them say basically I wish I could do what you do it is just the best . It makes it all worth while.

I feel blessed to be able to play in a band. Yes I have put the hours in but there is no better feeling than playing a great gig with good friends . That gig can be your one song at a party or a band with all the lights etc etc it is a buzz like no other IMO
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote