Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 11-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #11
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guitar Dad View Post
I agree, however is it not a false economy to spend so much money chasing and punishing small fry (non profit type people) ie my band that doesn't do it for money, doesn't gig, instead spreads the love for a song written 40+ years ago. That extra layer of cost only benefits the management/record company and actually dilutes the return of the original artist. If it goes past that, the only people benefiting are the lawyers.

I am not against copyright, but there should be some common sense about it. Taking the law to the absolute lowest common denominator (easy targets) is not particularly palatable in my book. Only people to blame there are the record companies, not the artists.

What's next? We might find ourselves being slapped in jail at our next sing-along around the camp fire.
You may think of it as punishment, but the music publishers, like BMI, call it enforcement. They're not going after you per se, they're going after Facebook for hosting your video.

Say you share your vid of a cover with your friends. Everyone viewing will be exposed to FB ads, and your covers are being "broadcast (something covered under copyright laws)." Meanwhile, FB is earning money. You not making money is besides the point; you've infringed.

Claiming that publishers are wasting time and money going after small fry is like arguing with a cop giving you a parking ticket, when they should be off chasing murderers and rapists.

In the early days of YT, millions of people were posting covers. The music publishers cried foul. They didn't go after the individual YouTubers, they went after YouTube.

Copyrights aren't only to promote competition; it's also to reward artists/creators for creating something "original," while protecting their intellectual property.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

If I understand correctly, you uploaded the video directly to facebook.

If that is correct, what you should do is post links to your youtube videos on facebook.

What sucks about putting video on facebook is you can't provide links that will work outside of facebook...not so with you tube. On youtube, the copyright holders can claim copyright and insert a commercial and prevent you from monetizing. They have no such control with facebook videos I assume.

Regarding bars wanting bands that play originals...they must not have a jukebox or a radio, because that's the same issue.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

http://www.thomplegal.com/resources/...-requirements/

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Old 11-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #14
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
http://www.thomplegal.com/resources/...-requirements/

Thanks for putting up that link.

It's been a while since I was booking for the full band & I could not remember what all the above bar owner told me about bands playing covers in his bar, only that he could be fined. At the time I thought he was just using that as a way to get rid of people like me who were trying to get their band's foot in the door.

He must have the license now because he has cover bands in there every weekend.

If I play a cover in coffee shop & get $4 in tips, I have made money from infringing but if I post that same song here & make nothing what have I done wrong?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:04 PM   #15
crank

crank Just getting started

ASCAP and BMI charge bars, clubs, restaurants, and any place music is played publicly whether it be live music or just playing the radio they are supposed to pay. Not saying all do, but I know that the aforementioned royalty collection and distribution companies have reps in the field visiting establishments.

A local place around me used to have cover bands and then switched to all original bands because they did not want to pay royalties. Now they are out of business...maybe the local original bands all suck?
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #16
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post

If I play a cover in coffee shop & get $4 in tips, I have made money from infringing but if I post that same song here & make nothing what have I done wrong?
If it doesn't fall under Fair Use exceptions, you've infringed.

People have trouble understanding intellectual property because it's largely intangible.

Saying one hasn't made money performing copyrighted work only confuses things. If I "borrowed" my neighbor's car without his consent, while not making $ isn't the point. That I used it without permission, is.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:23 PM   #17
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies AlyKat feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
If it doesn't fall under Fair Use exceptions, you've infringed.

People have trouble understanding intellectual property because it's largely intangible.

Saying one hasn't made money performing copyrighted work only confuses things. If I "borrowed" my neighbor's car without his consent, while not making $ isn't the point. That I used it without permission, is.

Yeah, but when you borrowed your neighbor's car you added to the wear & tear, racked up miles on the engine, & burned up their gas, which all takes away from the value of said car.

People? Who are people? What people you say? Define people. See, the grasshopper is learning
Old 11-28-2017, 04:34 PM   #18
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I agree that IP should be protected but it's not really like borrowing your neighbor's car.

When you take the car, the owner is deprived of his car. They can't drive it or sell it or sit in the driveway and enjoy the fine corinthian leather seats and premium 8-track stereo.

It's more like making an a copy of the car. When you illegally use someone's intellectual property, they are not deprived of access to their property but they are deprived of control over how copies of the property are used. This may have monetary implications but it may also be purely creative where the author doesn't want the work changed or associated with something.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #19
Silimtao
Baaand

I agree comparing music to a car isn't an apples to apples comparison. Bottom line is, copyrights confer ownership, with some exceptions. Even if we buy the music, we can't play it anyplace we want.

I haven't taken sides on the matter, btw.

For more info, read the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #20
Jimorr

Jimorr Just getting started

Sometimes I wish Fakebook would ban me for 3 days. That would be doing me a favor.....