Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I play every day, yet I haven't played out or with someone else in over 2 yrs. My choice I guess. My lady prods me constantly. "You know about 200 songs and can play and sing them" Why don't you do a solo gig, or find someone else to do a duo"??

I haven't the foggiest other than I'm lazy, I'm 70 and I don't have patience for bar and club politics.

I once went 6 yrs. without so much as making an air chord....That passed, just as it will for you.

One thing I suggest is learn a completely different genre that consists of things that are not in your experience. I was all over Hawaiian Slack Key and tunings for about 10 yrs. That waned, but the knowledge stayed with me for alternate picking, slide, learning ukulele etc. Had I remained living in Texas, I would probably still be blues 24/7.

Let it proceed naturally, if you want back in, you will go there, if not, you will know.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I play every day, yet I haven't played out or with someone else in over 2 yrs. My choice I guess. My lady prods me constantly. "You know about 200 songs and can play and sing them" Why don't you do a solo gig, or find someone else to do a duo"??

I haven't the foggiest other than I'm lazy, I'm 70 and I don't have patience for bar and club politics.
I once went 6 yrs. without so much as making an air chord....That passed, just as it will for you.

One thing I suggest is learn a completely different genre that consists of things that are not in your experience. I was all over Hawaiian Slack Key and tunings for about 10 yrs. That waned, but the knowledge stayed with me for alternate picking, slide, learning ukulele etc. Had I remained living in Texas, I would probably still be blues 24/7.

Let it proceed naturally, if you want back in, you will go there, if not, you will know.
I've only been playing out on a regular basis for 2.5 years and I can easily see how you get to that point. It can be so draining finding gigs and dealing with all of that BS that is starts to seem not quite worth the effort.

Something else occurs to me...it seems the OP had the fire at one point. While the fire was burning, what motivated you? Why did you play the guitar? The answer to that may help you.

I think I may have picked this up from a movie or a book or maybe even a post here...no matter, it stuck with me. The reason I play is I can't imagine myself not playing.

Put another way, I've read "when you feel like quitting, remember why you started". This little inspirational quote hangs up in my daughter's bedroom. During some of my dips in motivation I've thought about this.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:15 AM   #13
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts

interest ebbs and flows. If you aren't feeling it put it down for a minute. Absence makes the heart grow fonder..
Old 12-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #14
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms St.Fill is the poster child for Trojan condoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Mind View Post
Have any of you gone through this? What helped you regain your positive interest in playing guitar or music at large?
Maybe this is relate-able: Years ago, my current wife and I were on the verge of divorce. We went to a psychotherapist, and one of the big questions was, "do you think we should separate for a while"??
The therapists advice was "if you're gonna fight a battle, or solve a problem that involves both of you, you fight it together, and solve it together. Separating MAY bring you some peace, but it likely WONT lead to a feeling of having accomplished something together, which is critical to you feeling a bond together".

Even though loss of interest in music is nowhere as severe as what Im talking about above, my way of seeing your issue relates to this to say "find something else related to guitar, but STAY with the guitar, just not in the same old way. Find a way to "re-bond" with the guitar, but change something for the positive".

(IMO, completely "giving up" something is pretty severe, but it IS sometimes necessary... giving up on a personal relationship IS sometimes necessary, but its hard (for me, at least) to see that applying to guitar).

If you dont already do some of these things, maybe some of these will relight a fire:
Try working on, or building guitars. If you've never worked on the innards of a guitar, it can be very challenging AND rewarding, especially when it comes to designing an uncommon circuit, or repairing a guitar that was thought to be screwed. BUILDING guitars, even from sourced parts (Warmoth, Ebay, etc) is freaking awesome thing to do.
I absolutely LOVE building a guitar to my own specs, or building one for a friend. If Im not playing, Im working on a guitar in some fashion, and at this point, I have a shit-ton of pending projects, which I really look forward to getting to.

Try learning slide guitar. Seems easy for about a second until you realize it sounds like a sick cat yowling. Getting a really cool sound, and playing some really cool slide shit takes a bit of practice, but you've already got a step-up since you already play guitar, and its a great addition to picking or fingerstyle playing.

Find a completely different method of practice, such as playing only 4 notes, and see how you can wrangle them into something you've never played before.
Playing in a key that you rarely (or never) play in can be a challenge as well, ESPECIALLY if you play something new.

Try playing in alternate tunings, but play riffs you might play in standard tuning. Its a great way to come up with cool riffs that you've never played before, because muscle memory will have you trying to play as you would in standard tuning, but what comes out WILL be different.
I do that sometimes, and then translate what I just played in some weird tuning into playing in standard tuning. Its pretty challenging.

Learn a riff song that you've never played, or maybe in a different genre than you normally play, something that seems REALLY difficult. Its amazing what can come out of learning some radical riff, or a difficult passage in a song, or learning a classical piece and using a riff from that in an entirely different type of music (Yngwie is the poster child for doing that).

I mean, you COULD set the guitar aside for a few months, but in my experience, that just seems to result in a player getting somewhat 'rusty' and playing 'catch-up' to where you were before you took a break.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Then, of course, you just HAD to speak, didnt you??
St.Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
Tacman7
Lazy Dog

Tacman7 Just getting started

I moved over time more into the tech side of things, I get burnt on that sometimes.

Last band I played in (back in the 70's) we built a big PA and it got to be such a monster that I had to quit playing and run the PA, least that's what they told me.

For a long time my hobby was buying hardware, now my hobby is buying software.

I do try and make music everyday, otherwise hard to justify new purchases.
Tacman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:13 AM   #16
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

I haven't picked up a guitar in nearly 2 years until just recently. I wouldn't sweat it. Take a break. It'll still be there Whitby when you decide to go back to it... and you will go back to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #17
Bellcose

Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Yeah, it happens. I've been going through some heavy family shit with one of my kids which has impacted on me in many ways one of which being a lack of interest in music.

Only now just starting to revive my interest and that's only because I realised there is zilch I can do if one side does not want to attempt any reconciliation, so I may as well put it aside for now and get on with life being about me and others with whom I have a close relationship.
...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."
Bellcose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:15 PM   #18
Highroller

Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Highroller The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Lots of good advice here, no point in repeating it, but let me just add ... two weeks is hardly enough time to declare "it's gone". Take it from somebody that's played 40+ years: what you're going thru is pretty normal.

You could always just buy a new guitar, that usually provides some spark for me. Of course, the danger there is that you'll wind up with 20 guitars by the time you're 60!

That's not a bad thing, is it?
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #19
Mr. Boston
Super Moderator

Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts Mr. Boston Has Anal Warts

If you feel like you're in a rut maybe take a new approach - tune your guitar to an open chord and see what you can make out of that. I hit a point a few years back where everything I was writing sounded formulaic to me. So I tuned one of my guitars to a G chord (not to be confused with "Open G" which isn't the same thing); low to high it's G B D G D G. It felt awkward, I didn't really know what I was doing but almost instantly little riffs started jumping out at me and within about 15 minutes I had a new song. I keep one guitar tuned this way - for me anyway there's mojo in that tuning!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #20
jgln

jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking jgln The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I haven't played or listened to music in a long time. I need to be in a good mood anymore to do either, sounds strange but that is how it works with me.
jgln is offline   Reply With Quote