Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 12-18-2017, 03:01 AM   #1
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket
Default THR 10 Issues

So today I break out my Yamaha THR10 and it really sounded good although I was thinking that the volume seemed way low but I really did not pay too much attention to it and just kept playing. After about 30 minutes I noticed the volume start to break up and get distorted and then pretty much eventually went down to nothing. Now it could be a dust issue as we are in a dusty area. All houses get dust but ours is 2x what I have ever seen before. Or maybe it's dying. I read somewhere, maybe here, that someone who had a THR10 had it die on them. So I guess the best I can do is blow it out and then spray the input and see what happens???
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:11 AM   #2
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

does shaking it a bit make anything change while it's on?
With it cutting out and fading, it could be a heat sensitive connection. I always think on those lines, when I used to do board level electronics repair, we saw a LOT of that issue, especially in areas where there were power amps, or areas where solders were exposed to heat a lot.

Me, I'd wait for it to to this, then jiggle it, shake it a bit, see if it cuts back in to test a bad connection. If not, then I'd check for heat issues, I'd shut it off, and put it somewhere cool for a few hours (like the garage if it's cold out there), then try again, see if it works when cold, then goes away when hot again.

Last edited by ronpfid; 12-18-2017 at 06:14 PM.
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:23 AM   #3
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Try a factory reset? To reset the 1-5 User Memory settings to default:

Press and hold User Memory buttons [1], [3] and [5], while turning on the amp's power.

I haven't been in the Tone Editor since I got it, so maybe look into a firmware update?

I've read that Yamaha will send you a replacement, so maybe write/call them if the problem continues. The only issue I have is, the "#" light is always on where the tuner LED is.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #4
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

False alarm. I took my start out today and used the Katana and it did the same thing. That led to some investigation and what happened is that I left my wireless plugged into the Start for two days and that drained the battery in the pre-amp.

User error.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:01 AM   #5
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

That'll do it. Nothing like an easy fix .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

One more day, and Ron woulda suggested a blowtorch.

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

Old 12-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #7
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

I love mine, awesome little amp. Great for a duo I would think
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #8
Silimtao
Baaand

Next time, shake the guitar. Then put it in the fridge.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:51 AM   #9
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
False alarm. I took my start out today and used the Katana and it did the same thing. That led to some investigation and what happened is that I left my wireless plugged into the Start for two days and that drained the battery in the pre-amp.

User error.
oh man! ha!
Old 12-20-2017, 01:53 AM   #10
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Next time, shake the guitar. Then put it in the fridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
One more day, and Ron woulda suggested a blowtorch.

ha! you hoser! lol
You may laugh, but cold solder joints are a big issue, i used to do a lot of circuit board repair, for many years, I actually have put boards in the freezer to check for heat issues. they also make cold spray for tracking thermal issues.