Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started
Default gigs..the amp?...the pedal?

just thought I would put this out here to get some feed back.
My current group I gig with,we are a 2 piece using the backing track.We have a pa,lights,couple of guitars and my 2 x 12 vetta amp which I di to the desk.
We just play multi genre stuff to suit all tastes but we only have an estate car or as some call it a station wagon car to hog the gear.
Fully laden...the car is like tetris...not a spare inch of space fully loaded.
Im toying with the idea of ditiching the big amp for a pedal like a line6 firehawk and go straight to the desk and out and use a wedge or ear monitor so I can lighten the load in the car.
Whats the thought on this idea or stick with the amp?
Anyone else use the pedal-desk-speakers?
flake_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

For what you guys are doing, I think bringing that big amp is overkill.

For my duo gig, I just plug my GT-100 straight into the mixer. Works great.

Since you are used to the way your Vetta sounds, getting a Line 6 multi-effects would probably be a good idea. Who knows, you may even be able to transfer your patches from the Vetta into something like a Firehawk.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by flake_E_lee View Post
My current group I gig with,we are a 2 piece using the backing track.We have a pa,lights,couple of guitars and my 2 x 12 vetta amp which I di to the desk.
Are both guitarists going through the 2x12?

Quote:
I'm toying with the idea of ditching the big amp for a pedal like a line6 firehawk and go straight to the desk and out and use a wedge or ear monitor so I can lighten the load in the car.
I think you'll need 2 Firehawks...one for each guitar player. But yes, I think this is a good idea in general to lighten the total load.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Are both guitarists going through the 2x12?

I think you'll need 2 Firehawks...one for each guitar player. But yes, I think this is a good idea in general to lighten the total load.
That's a good point. In my duo, my partner is on acoustic and he plugs straight into the mixer. It works for him.

The way I do this is I have a couple of patches setup. One is for single coil and the other humbucker. In each patch, I have a tubescreamer, reverb, chorus, volume boost, and fuzz set up. I pull up a patch and I put it into manual mode. At this point, I can turn each effect on and off as I need to. What I like about this is it is like using a regular pedal board.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 PM   #5
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
just thought I would put this out here to get some feed back.
We just play multi genre stuff to suit all tastes but we only have an estate car or as some call it a station wagon car to hog the gear.
Fully laden...the car is like tetris...not a spare inch of space fully loaded.
Im toying with the idea of ditiching the big amp for a pedal like a line6 firehawk and go straight to the desk and out and use a wedge or ear monitor so I can lighten the load in the car.
Anyone else use the pedal-desk-speakers?
I do. I never haul amps anymore. Robbie Calvo uses a Line 6 Helix straight into the board, and his tone is beyond killer. He packs his entire gig rig, including his Bose L1 PA into the tiny back area of his Jeep Wrangler.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #6
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

How long has Robbie been using the Line 6? He had a sweet tone when I discovered him on truefire. I keep thinking I'm missing something in a compressor. I know he has a signature one now, so he's doing something else. I love his tone!

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.

Last edited by Silimtao; 12-20-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 AM   #7
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

I don't have any back line in the three piece that usesbacling tracks.
Abo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:38 AM   #8
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
How long has Robbie been using the Line 6? He had a sweet tone when I discovered him on truefire. I keep thinking I'm missing something in a compressor. I know he has a signature one now, so he's doing something else. I love his tone!

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk
He's been using the line 6 for about 2 years now, since he became a sponsored artist. The transition took a couple of months. The only thing he has in front of it is his OD/Compression pedal. The compressor circuit is like a slightly milder SP. He always had the SP set with both knobs at about 2/3, at the middle setting. I used to do the same, but I find that when I use his signature pedal instead, I tend to turn the compressor up a bit, as it isn't quite as pronounced as the SP.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #9
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
He's been using the line 6 for about 2 years now, since he became a sponsored artist. The transition took a couple of months. The only thing he has in front of it is his OD/Compression pedal. The compressor circuit is like a slightly milder SP. He always had the SP set with both knobs at about 2/3, at the middle setting. I used to do the same, but I find that when I use his signature pedal instead, I tend to turn the compressor up a bit, as it isn't quite as pronounced as the SP.
Part of it must be his pickups. I love the singing kind of tone he normally has in his videos. I can kind of get that tone from my DiMarzio Chopper-T railed humbucker in the bridge of a Telly. But my tone is naturally a bit more trebly.

I just bought the new Keeley comp. Not nearly as noisy as their old 2-knobber. It has a blend knob. I wish it had an attack knob, but I'm beginning to like it. It's fairly transparent, but gives nice compression, without all the damn noise I've had from other relatively affordable comp pedals.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:50 AM   #10
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I gigged as a duo, me on guitar, partner, blues harp and vocals. I used my Peavey Classic 30 as my main monitor, with a line out/DI box and mic to the desk. I'm suggesting you could use a small amp in a similar way.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote