Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 12-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #11
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

My friends gig with a pedal going to the PA system, no guitar speakers at all. It works for them. I prefer to gig with a separate guitar amp. I suppose it depends on personal preference.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:24 PM   #12
crank

crank Just getting started

Ditto what Hi Hat said. I play with a 15 watt amp miced and our rhythm guitarist plays with a amp modeler pedal straight into PA.

Doing solo and duo stuff I play acoustics and go into direct into PA.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #13
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Are both guitarists going through the 2x12?
Its a 1 guitarist 1 singer set up
flake_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #14
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

This is the way I think. If I took out an amp anyone standing directly in front of us inbetween the PA is going to get way too much guitar as it would be the only back line.
Monitors will point back at you unlike the amp which will be pointing straight out to the crowd.
Also in a two piece you may not be playing as loud and having an amp is all the more awkward to mix especially if you get the dreaded can you turn down please.
No backline and everything through the PA is the way I do it. If asked to turn down it's just a matter of turning the masters on the mixer down a bit but it keeps the same mix.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #15
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
This is the way I think. If I took out an amp anyone standing directly in front of us inbetween the PA is going to get way too much guitar as it would be the only back line.
Monitors will point back at you unlike the amp which will be pointing straight out to the crowd.
Also in a two piece you may not be playing as loud and having an amp is all the more awkward to mix especially if you get the dreaded can you turn down please.
No backline and everything through the PA is the way I do it. If asked to turn down it's just a matter of turning the masters on the mixer down a bit but it keeps the same mix.
Yup, that's my take on it also.

+1
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:31 AM   #16
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

I think personally myself the pedal is the way forward with my 2 piece...but which one?
I been looking at the line6 firehawk but im not sure about the bluetooth...id rather have something where i set it up at the pedal as opposed to going through an app on a tablet.
The machine itself will fit my needs but i dislike this whole app thing for it.
Definetley want something that has the wah pedal already built in
Old 12-25-2017, 05:22 AM   #17
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I have a Sansamp Character pedal. Is is analog, versatile and plenty powerful enough to use as a preamp for a power amp or PA.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #18
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I have a Sansamp Character pedal. Is is analog, versatile and plenty powerful enough to use as a preamp for a power amp or PA.
Is it a pedal that can store different patches Tony?
What I need in a pedal is something I can jump from clean to a middle of the road rock to full blown hi gain quickly. We gig and cover many different genres so I need something I can change the tone quickly. The firehawk ticks the boxes except for the whole bluetooth thing.Im used to the line6 stuff so i suppose im in my comfort zone with it. also want xlr stereo outputs and the all important wah.Would be my 3 requirments buying a pedal.Very interested in something like a line6 pod hd300 or a boss gt pedal.
Whatever I get has to be able to model amps and do the above
Old 12-25-2017, 09:56 AM   #19
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal Abo is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Do you have a price range I mean the multi fx will do the job for you. If you can put something straight in to record with you can put it straight in your desk.
It wouldn't be this forum therefore without mentioning the gt100
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #20
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

id like to get something used for about 200 quid.something reliable and robust.
multi patches,xlr outputs wah..thats the criteria,lol
Im pissed off hogging that big 2x12 everywhere and i turn the speakers off in the actual amp and just use the pa anyway so no point in me having it (although I will keep it anyway in storage as its a great amp)
Was keeping an eye on a line 6 pod hd300 on ebay but the seller took it down so he must have got rid of it elsewhere

Last edited by flake_E_lee; 12-25-2017 at 10:25 AM.